Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

7th Group Member

• 7 posts
    September 17, 2020 8:50 AM PDT

This many have been talked about before if so - please send me the thread. I am new here so my apologies if I am repeating stuff. But it would be cool if there was a way to incorporate a 7th group member if each of the 6 people had an ability or maybe only 2- or 3 - whatever there needs to be to keep a balance in the game etc...The idea is its kind of a bonus to take on bigger challenges but also - encourages people to want to join up. Just a  thought...On the flip side I can see how it could all go wrong. People only want to group with those that can complete the requirements to have a 7 person group etc...now that I think about it maybe there are more cons than pros.... Corrected my typos - I was thinking like some kind of skill that gets unlocked maybe for only a limited time, or like a 1 time group expansion Potion, buff etc...not a consistent 7th member for a group - I do agree 6 is the perfect #. But then again if things are like the Original EQ days - I remember having to go loot my corpse (I miss that) brutal but it really made you think about what you wanted to do LOL. Then the 7th member thing is a mute point. I do appreciate all of you all's feedback!! thanks all.  

This post was edited by Freely at September 17, 2020 11:19 AM PDT
    • 29 posts
    September 17, 2020 9:10 AM PDT

I might mix the games now, but wasn't the number 6-8 mentioned in the past.

I can't remember seeing anything definitive on that particular topic lately.

• 1281 posts
    September 17, 2020 9:19 AM PDT

You could say add another to any group size though. Playing DAoC I always felt 8 man groups were too big. 5 or 6 seems about right and forces players to really have to make hard decisions about what they can and want to do. Higher group counts I think should be reserved for raiding.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at September 17, 2020 9:20 AM PDT
    • 287 posts
    September 17, 2020 10:08 AM PDT

6 would be the perfect number for me. Pretty sure I heard VR say that they are pretty set on a 6 person group at this point as well (but I could be wrong on that). A 7th member just seems gratuitous, especially if this is going to be somewhat EQ1-style in that you can always have people outside of the group buffing, healing, etc

• 245 posts
    September 17, 2020 8:37 PM PDT

Groups of 6 with 4 main roles in the game is good. It makes the options and choices for the last two slots much more meaningful.

This post was edited by Ezrael at September 17, 2020 8:38 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    September 17, 2020 9:44 PM PDT

Or the ability to make two small groups that are joined (like a mini-raid) of 4 and 3? or 5 and 2 and walk in formation accordingly, three fighters in front, 2 healers in middle, and two casters in the back corners. 

F       F       F    

H      H

C           C

• 255 posts
    • 1479 posts
    September 17, 2020 11:20 PM PDT

I would guess you have 6 friends and relatives you plan to play with and do not want to put any of them on the bench ? That's all I can guess as a reason to ask for a bigger group, that or allways willing more that what is established.

At some point, too many is just too many in my opinion.

• 7 posts
    September 18, 2020 8:45 AM PDT

Thanks for all the comments. I am going to go read through those other threads. :-) 

I can not wait for this game to come out. It's been a long time waiting, but my guess is its all for good reason. I hope it makes the mark of MMO2.0 :-) 

I am sure it will

-P

• 438 posts
    September 20, 2020 2:47 PM PDT
    First I’m all for a group cap at six. But thinking outside of the box, how hard would it be to implement the more in a group the harder the encounter? I don’t know coding and don’t know making a game. But, if you were able to add a seventh or eighth man would it be hard to make encounters that much harder for a larger group compared to a standard group?
    • 888 posts
    September 21, 2020 9:36 AM PDT
    I think the best team size will be determined through testing. It needs to be big enough to cover all the main roles yet small enough to not feel impersonal or allow for zerg tactics. There should always feel like something is missing, otherwise every team will end up feeling the same.

The team size also needs to be balanced with the general population breakdown of tank / healer / DPS / control in mind. If 60% of characters are DPS, but they only get 40% of the team slots, that will create a mismatch which can make finding teams a problem. Some level of mismatch is to be expected, but a large discrepancy should be avoided if possible since it can lead to other problems (like people quitting or a hyper-competitive environment that leads to toxic behavior).
    • 29 posts
    September 21, 2020 10:08 AM PDT

The breakdown should not be balanced towards the general population because then we would end up with groups of 90+% DPS :)

• 7 posts
    September 21, 2020 3:34 PM PDT

My thought was some how (and it would be REALY hard to get) you stumble across a scroll or a potion that for one time allows you to add 1 7th member to your group for like 6 hours then it ends. So you in a place where you can almost take the mob but you kjust need a bit more help. This would be that one time thing. It would have to be like a really RARE drop. But again I can see how it might break the balance...