Forums » News and Announcements

PAX ONLINE Panel with Joppa! Sept 15, 4:30 PM PST

• September 14, 2020 4:01 PM PDT

PAX ONLINE is underway!
    On Tuesday, September 15th, 4:30 PM PST, our own Joppa takes part in a panel:

EXPLORING NEW REALMS - THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMES

Chris "Joppa" Perkins is set to take part in this important discussion together with leaders from other major online games.
    Link to the PAX site: https://online.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/exploring-new-realms-the-future-of-online-games

We
    will post a link to the video as soon as it is available to the public as well.
    I can hardly wait!
    ~Brasse

This post was edited by Deleted Member at September 14, 2020 4:03 PM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    September 15, 2020 8:11 AM PDT

More Joppa !

Glad to hear the digital PAX version could get a bit of VR on board.

• 34 posts
    September 15, 2020 5:41 PM PDT

Well represented, Joppa~ 

• 51 posts
    September 15, 2020 6:36 PM PDT

That was a very interesting stream.  Wish it could have gone longer!

• 1281 posts
    • 768 posts
    September 16, 2020 9:57 PM PDT

Lovely, thanks for the link Bigdogchris !!

• 47 posts
    September 16, 2020 11:54 PM PDT

Thanks for the link, indeed.
    Brilliant Jopa interventions (as expected).
    I suggest to listen carefully to 6:37:00 - 6:39:00, it makes me feel he's in my head.
    Joppa... I love you. :)

• 318 posts
    September 17, 2020 5:57 AM PDT

Great listen. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 posts
    September 17, 2020 6:12 AM PDT
    Excellent panel. I like hearing the enthusiasm in Joppa's voice when he talks about adventure and discovery.
    • 165 posts
    September 18, 2020 8:21 AM PDT

I will echo what many others touched on here: Hearing the passion from anyone at Visionary Realms when they talk about adventure and discovery makes me happy and gets the "little kid" in me bouncing off the walls. Love what Chris Perkins said at that 6:37-6:39 mark.

• 159 posts
    September 19, 2020 8:00 AM PDT

I only took issue with what John Smedley had to say. Thankfully he has "nothing" to do with Pantheon. CP did a good good. He stayed true and steadfast to his beliefs about MMORPG's. CP was good in representing Pantheon.

Made me happy and smile when John got pushed back from the other three about multiple platforms. I laughed my butt off and then he so conveniently had to go to a meeting as soon as he got pushback.

Immersion can not be done with a game that tries to be everything to everybody. People like John and companies like Amazon don't understand that. They are the PROBLEM with MMORPG's today. They only care about making money and not about making a fantasy world.

Way to represent Chris / Joppa.  

This post was edited by Vander at September 19, 2020 8:01 AM PDT
    • 368 posts
    September 23, 2020 8:26 AM PDT

From what I understand Smedley was never really a designer, he was always more of a businessman. And as such he looks at things through a business perspective. Businesses are in business to make money, so I cannot fault him for that. Like him or not he held the EQ franchise together for nearly 15 years through sheer willpower. His departure along with other senior staff back in what 2015 really set that IP back. It put it in maintenance mode with a studio that no longer had anyone passionate about design and developing core cutomer experiences, nor did they have anyone to ensure that design and development could get funding and proper staffing which was his specialty. 

This post was edited by arazons at September 23, 2020 8:26 AM PDT
    • 945 posts
    September 23, 2020 10:22 AM PDT

That was a brilliant panel

• 392 posts
    September 23, 2020 1:32 PM PDT

arazons said:

From what I understand Smedley was never really a designer, he was always more of a businessman. And as such he looks at things through a business perspective. Businesses are in business to make money, so I cannot fault him for that. Like him or not he held the EQ franchise together for nearly 15 years through sheer willpower. His departure along with other senior staff back in what 2015 really set that IP back. It put it in maintenance mode with a studio that no longer had anyone passionate about design and developing core cutomer experiences, nor did they have anyone to ensure that design and development could get funding and proper staffing which was his specialty. 

I give him credit for doing what no one else has been able to do, he kept Sony from being Sony