Forums » Pantheon Classes

Changes to the Class Descriptions on the new site

• 1992 posts
    August 30, 2020 10:27 PM PDT

Looking over the new descriptions for classes, these are changes that caught my eye. Some of them may have been mentioned in streams or posts already. I'm just comparing the old class listings on the website to the new ones.

Warrior & Paladin & Ranger & Rogue & Monk all now have Endurance added to their already existing combat resource.

Cleric cannot wear Heavy Platemail like Warrior and Paladin, only 'light plate'.

Shaman and Rogue no longer wear light chain. Now they wear heavy leather.

All classes now have only 1 designation for their role: Tank, Healer, Damage, Support. Enchanter is listed as 'support'. It would appear that VR has dropped "crowd control" as the name for the 4th group role.

That's it so far. Feel free to add anything in comments that I may have missed.

• 256 posts
    August 31, 2020 12:28 AM PDT

There are a couple of new abilities added here and there as well (for anyone who hasn't looked yet). 

I also think it's important to mention before anyone starts panicking, the simplification of the class roles doesn't mean that classes have been simplified to a linear playstyle. The monk for example still has off-tank capabilities even though it is labeled as DPS, and the cleric has the ability to pacify enemies which acts as a form of crowd control even though they are labeled as healers. This was probably done to simplify the experience for new users.

Also, one other thing to note is that the available races for each class are listed on the image of the class at the far right. Most people may be to notice this right away but its something that I managed to overlook a few times. 

This post was edited by FatedEmperor at August 31, 2020 12:29 AM PDT
    • 128 posts
    August 31, 2020 2:36 AM PDT

FatedEmperor said:

I also think it's important to mention before anyone starts panicking, the simplification of the class roles doesn't mean that classes have been simplified to a linear playstyle. The monk for example s

Yep. and it appears that some of the "old" abilities are gone, perhaps again to save space and simplify.  For example also under the Monk, I don't see the ability to use Blunt weapons anymore, just martial weapons, fist weapons and handwraps.   Hope we can still use blunt weapons like staves and fighting batons. 

• 612 posts
    August 31, 2020 7:44 AM PDT

Nagasakee said: "For example also under the Monk, I don't see the ability to use Blunt weapons anymore, just martial weapons, fist weapons and handwraps."

The Monk page does not say 'Martial Weapons' it says 'Martial Fists'.

'Martial Weapons' are actually complex weapons like Swords, Axes and Polearms. While Clubs, Maces and Staves and other weapons that would be used by commoners are considered 'Simple Weapons'. So it is interesting that the Monk class would not have access to these 'Simple Weapons'.

'Martial Fists' would likely be referring to the Monks own Fists.

'Fist weapons' are defined as Single-handed weapons not resembling a straight dagger blade, usually wielded without wrist action; often protects the forearm. Would include things like Brass Knuckles, bagh nakh (Claws on rings worn over the knuckles or under next to the palm), Crescent moon knives, Katar (often called Punch or Push dagger), Emeici (A Ring with a blade or spear head attached), etc...

'Handwraps' would include things like boxing gloves or more ancient versions of such like a Cestus. May also include Gauntlets used as weapons.

• 1992 posts
    September 2, 2020 9:51 AM PDT

I just realized more changes.

Monk used to have Shurikens. Now they have no ranged weapon listed. So the only melee classes with ranged are Ranger, Rogue and Warrior.

The Bow has been expanded to both Short Bow and Long Bow, though only Ranger can use the Long Bow.

Rogue used to have Throwing Knives, now they get Short Bow/Xbow.

Warrior used to have 'all weapons'. That may still cover all hand weapons - I didn't check - but only includes Short Bow/Xbow, not Long Bow.

Assuming Long Bow gives greater range as in other games, the Ranger may possibly have the longest pulling range among classes.

• 346 posts
    September 2, 2020 12:52 PM PDT

Jothany said: ...

I wouldn't put much stock into it. It's likely that everyone will be able to use thrown items but skill and availability will be dependent on class. Much like EQ. As an Enchanter I could throw axes, throwing hammers, shurikens, knives etc, but I wasn't nearly as good at it as a Monk or Rogue. It also may not be a method of doing main damage and in that, X-bow, Shortbow and Longbow are.

This post was edited by Janus at September 2, 2020 12:52 PM PDT
    • 1992 posts
    September 2, 2020 5:24 PM PDT

Janus said:

I wouldn't put much stock into it. It's likely that everyone will be able to use thrown items but skill and availability will be dependent on class.

Perhaps I'm not really understanding you. VR redefined a bunch of aspects of the game with the new website, and made those descriptions MORE specific. In the process, every mention of 'thrown weapons' (there were only 2 already) were removed. So you're saying that we shouldnt put much stock in the new descriptions?

• 346 posts
    September 2, 2020 6:47 PM PDT

Jothany said: ...

VR redefined a bunch of aspects of the game with the new website, and made those descriptions MORE specific.

I'd say it was the opposite in some instances. They left a lot of abilities out of the class page because they limited it to 13 slots for every class. Spells weren't necessarily lost, just not listed. Some things were missing, some things more specific and some things intentionally not added but doesn't mean they're gone. 

In the process, every mention of 'thrown weapons' (there were only 2 already) were removed. So you're saying that we shouldnt put much stock in the new descriptions?

Correct, just like how they removed spells from the class page, that doesn't mean they removed those spells. It's because they used an across-the-board chart for all classes from which to list 13 abilities out of their 40-60 or more total abilities.

I say it because technically, every class can throw items if they go by the EQ model. However, they weren't designed to be a source of damage dealing. My Enchanter for instance could throw some items but not all of them. Throwing hammers for instance. Would they then list that a Wizard can throw daggers and shurikens but not throwing hammers? It may have been prudent to remove the listing to deal with clutter but I don't think that means thrown weapons are out of the game entirely. 

At the very least, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion anyway, especially given the above details listed and how the website is undergoing constant change. Even recently the forum design was updated again even removing entire sections, adding a section (Harvesting) and even breaking the main category into subcategories. 

This post was edited by Janus at September 2, 2020 6:48 PM PDT
    • 612 posts
    September 3, 2020 4:51 AM PDT

One thing to keep in mind as well is that Bows/Xbows as actual weapons will likely have stats on them. So even if Warriors and Rogues may not use Bows as a primary source of damage like Rangers would, they will still equip them in order to gain the 'stats' that come with them.

Throwing items on the other hand may have 'damage' values but probably won't grant stats on them. So it's less important for players to know about which classes can use which thrown items.

We will have to see how VR will balance things for classes that don't have access to these Range weapons with Stats on them. Monks weapon types are rather unique (ie Fist and Handwraps) so maybe those types will have higher stat values to compensate. Perhaps there will be Idols or Tomes that can be used in Range slot for other classes. I guess we can wait and see.

• 888 posts
    September 23, 2020 10:00 AM PDT
    Pantheon is still in PreAlpha, so I would try not to read too much into changes. I view the information more as a way to get a feel for the general feel of the classes. Only after we've been in Alpha for a while will VR have enough of a feel for the classes and balance to really start giving us an idea of what will be in the final game.