Forums » News and Announcements

April 30th Development Stream

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    April 28, 2020 1:36 PM PDT

Please join us Thursday April 30th, at 6pm PDT, for our latest Pantheon Development Update. This week Lead Programmer Kyle Olsen will be on hand to discuss his part in updating Pantheon's AI system. We’ll also take a look at the upgrades to UI function & design, and round things out with a Q & A. 

Check out all the fun at: twitch.tv/visionaryrealms

This post was edited by Roenick at April 28, 2020 2:56 PM PDT
    • 945 posts
    April 28, 2020 2:00 PM PDT

I hope there is some more light shed on dispositions.

• 1992 posts
    April 28, 2020 8:35 PM PDT

I hope VR will tell us if we can have just ONE chat window -with tabs- in our UI, to let us separate out the different types of info we want into different tabs rather than having to have multiple different windows for the same purpose.

This post was edited by Jothany at April 29, 2020 8:13 AM PDT
    • 1399 posts
    April 29, 2020 6:42 AM PDT

Jothany said:

I hope VR will tell us if we can have just ONE chat window -with tab- in our UI, to let us separate out the different types of info we want into different tabs rather than having to have multiple different windows for the same purpose.

Yes I second this question, I don't see how showing that could be revealing too much, and seems to be a given, but having not see it yet concerns me. Could something so basic been overlooked?

I’m one always concerned about what some call “QOL improvement’s” over what Everquest was in 1999. I feel this is the type of QOL that doesn’t damage the game play.

But I just haven’t seen it yet…how can that be? Can all these streamers really prefer all those spam windows scattered all over their UI??

• 500 posts
    April 29, 2020 7:27 AM PDT

Really looking forward to this one after Joppa's comments in discord last night.

• 1399 posts
    April 29, 2020 9:35 AM PDT

Grymmlocke said:

Really looking forward to this one after Joppa's comments in discord last night.

Ok, so can we get a summary of what these comments of Joppa's were?

• 560 posts
    April 29, 2020 11:31 AM PDT

I am looking forward to the development update. Learning about the AI sounds cool.

@Grymmlocke I second Zorkon can we get a summary? Also, what discord channel was he on? Is it open to all? I would like to join if there is a channel that Joppa contributes too.

• 500 posts
    April 29, 2020 5:06 PM PDT

Sorry guys, can't say anymore. Its in the VIP section of discord if you have access.

• 560 posts
    April 29, 2020 6:09 PM PDT

@Grymmlocke thanks for letting us know.

• 1399 posts
    April 29, 2020 7:24 PM PDT

understood.

This is NOT a one word Post!!!

• 1281 posts
    April 30, 2020 6:57 PM PDT

@Joppa

Glad to hear that after our discussion a few streams ago that coin weight is added back in. It's falls in line with things like consumable and reagents that add gameplay elements that most mmo's now days don't have. Thank you!

With the discussion that banks matter again I hope that the discussion on weight also includes coins not automatically changing to higher denomination. If weight and banks matter then players should need to use a bank to do coin exchange. I think of the meta-gameplay aspect back in the day in EQ where a high-level player was farming a spot and would use noobies to make merchant/bank runs for them in exchange for keeping the change. New players would sell items or have low level players exchange coin for them. It was a great way to get new and old players talking and helped noobies make some money.

Also, regarding the 5th type of currency, great idea! If you haven’t completely set in stone yet, consider adding the 5th coin as electrum and placing it between silver and gold since electrum is a combination of both. Copper->Silver->Electrum->Gold->Platinum.

• 119 posts
    April 30, 2020 9:50 PM PDT

Also happy to hear that coin weight is back in. Little elements like that, and a bank system that is tied into it are something that help make the world feel more robust, IMO :]

• 768 posts
    May 1, 2020 12:53 AM PDT

Thanks for the great update. It felt really good and quite a lot of information was shared.

Also thanks to Ben D. to keeping the video short. It's appreciated. It's manageable information and the discussion lasts just long enough to keep your concentration with it. 

Very glad to see coin have weight again, the design behind glyphs, campfires and plenty other things. 

Thumbs up!

• 627 posts
    May 1, 2020 1:24 AM PDT
    Great stream, climbing on everything sounds cool yet challeging to do right (Best of luck).

The Ai info was promissing but I rly hoped we heard more or had a real case scenario to highlight certain mekanics.

The ui was looking great and the climate and glyphs system in-build is good and user friendly.

All in all good stream, glad to hear Alpha is getting closer with each passing Day. Onwards and Upwards Friends!
    • 1479 posts
    May 1, 2020 4:42 AM PDT

Thanks for the stream, it was very exciting to look at the amount of details and informations of the inventory UI. Glad to see that much items slots with some that will probably be easily swappable (jewelery) but I would like to know what is the relic slot meant to ?!

The acclimatation UI seems promizing, I liked the natural acclimatation levels as it add depth to the investment put in a single character as a long term goal, a bit sad about glyphs beeing expandable/temporary but I hope that mean they won't be that much rare so while we have to think forward we still can follow groups, friends or desires from zone to zone.

The return to coin weight was for me, one of the proofs that Pantheon does not catter to new flashy elements but also consider older ones as realistic and adventuring as a planned adventure and not a non stop one. It ill also add to socialization are banks will be forced stops sometimes and somehow at least to sort out coins to a more manageable level, but also retain MORE than just items.

Campfire sounds fun and gathering / LFG area as well and I'm eager to see how it will work in place.

Climbing is promising, I suppose it was tied to world building slope degrees & texture/complexion to make it automatic as a skilling requirement (IE : vertical slopes of city walls would automatically require insane levels of climbing, while rocky slope would require decent amounts), however I can't help but imagine we might see some kind of spidermans infestations in capital cities.

Great work and far more valuable than two videos a  month, also I bet less exhausting for you guys.

• 22 posts
    May 1, 2020 5:08 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

@Joppa

Glad to hear that after our discussion a few streams ago that coin weight is added back in. It's falls in line with things like consumable and reagents that add gameplay elements that most mmo's now days don't have. Thank you!

With the discussion that banks matter again I hope that the discussion on weight also includes coins not automatically changing to higher denomination. If weight and banks matter then players should need to use a bank to do coin exchange. I think of the meta-gameplay aspect back in the day in EQ where a high-level player was farming a spot and would use noobies to make merchant/bank runs for them in exchange for keeping the change. New players would sell items or have low level players exchange coin for them. It was a great way to get new and old players talking and helped noobies make some money.

Also, regarding the 5th type of currency, great idea! If you haven’t completely set in stone yet, consider adding the 5th coin as electrum and placing it between silver and gold since electrum is a combination of both. Copper->Silver->Electrum->Gold->Platinum.

I had totally forgotten about doing bank runs for gods!! Well remembered!

• 2419 posts
    May 1, 2020 7:33 AM PDT

I really liked this stream, alot actually.  It was packed full of useful yet not bean-spilling information.  The rework on the Codex is great, the new layout is very good and easy to read.  The character UI is another thing very well done.  It is easy to read with a good logical layout.

But beyond all that, what I appreciated most about the stream was that VR had the wherewithall to identify a previous decision that was a point of contention with a vast number of players, that of coin having now weight.  VR just demonstrated they have the courage to rethink past decisions, look at it logically, to see just how far and wide coin having weight affects the game and then changing their mind.  I am so appreciative of that because it means the possibility exists that other decisions can be revisited.  Not that they will change their minds, but just revisiting and thinking about things again to ensure that decision was the right choice shows a level of committment I've been waiting to see.

Oh, and the return of the patch notes was nice to see again, really putting the icing on the cake in terms of showing process even over a single month.

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    May 1, 2020 8:03 AM PDT

Our April 30 DevStream is now on YouTube! Lead Programmer Kyle Olsen joins the team to talk AI. Plus: an update on UI, discussions on acclimation, climbing, coin weight, the role campfires play in Pantheon, and more!

https://youtu.be/Zjq5ClNL5hM

This post was edited by Roenick at May 1, 2020 8:10 AM PDT
    • 523 posts
    May 1, 2020 9:01 AM PDT

You guys are probably going to take some heat down the road from casuals and such about the "hassle" of coin weight, but it was absolutely the right decision to put it back in.  It adds realism and emergent gameplay options, and as we saw in EQ1, it added more to the game than the minimal frustration it at times created.  If you can wrap weight into carry capacity, monk dynamics, and other aspects of gameplay, all the better.

Now....about downranking....

• 724 posts
    May 1, 2020 9:32 AM PDT
    Thanks for the update.
    • 416 posts
    May 1, 2020 11:39 AM PDT

So much great info in this stream, thank you!

• 945 posts
    May 1, 2020 11:57 AM PDT

Very encouraging to hear about the refactoring of the dev's ability to test their ideas with just using scripting without having to directly interrupt programing progress.

Add:  I was kinda confused trying to figure out how the AI was integrated with the network though.  Must not have been speaking in reference to OSI or TCP/IP models where I would think AI operated on layers 5 and 6 of OSI and layers 1 and 2 of TCP/IP... Networking obviously being layer 3 of OSI and 4 of TCP/IP.  Otherwise very encouraging.

This post was edited by Darch at May 1, 2020 12:04 PM PDT
    • 255 posts
    May 1, 2020 4:08 PM PDT

Good Update. Nice to see coins having weight again, but it didn't worry me either way. Just adds more mechanics and thining to they players. Might have to go back to being an Ogre to carry all that copper.

Trading 20 Plat for 3000 Gold...

Question I have though around acclimation and corpse runs. In some cases you might not be able to get a corpse back if you die in an acclimation zone where you are right on the edge of survival and you get killed and the items you are using to survive are on your body.

How can you get your corpse back in a case like that. It could make people quit the game if they can not get their corpses back some how. I know that happened to me in early EQ, but went back to it.

You don't want it to be a case when ever you walk into a zone you die because you can't reach your corpse due to the frigid acclimation that has your cold resist items on it. It would be like you need to have 2 sets of everything before you adventure so you can get back to your corpse if the worst happens.

It's a bit different to normal corpse runs where you could get a sow to run around find the corpse and drag it back to the zone line and then zone to drop agro from any mobs, then go back and loot the corpse.

This post was edited by Boulda at May 1, 2020 4:09 PM PDT
    • 99 posts
    May 4, 2020 5:58 AM PDT

Summon corpse would work and I know I am assuming here but I would think the entrances to these acclimation zones might not be that bad but as you travel further in it begins to get rougher and rougher. I also think the camp fire talk might play into this aspect of the game for example binding at the camp fire prior to the adveture. The camp fire then provides some basic level of safety for those who are logging off for the night and back in to look for a group but also for a summon corpse scenario. 

• 217 posts
    May 5, 2020 9:43 PM PDT

GR8 stream folks, Thanks again.