Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Web page

• 844 posts
    May 4, 2020 7:26 AM PDT

Website will have to wait until a serious publisher steps in and takes over the game.

I think DBG(SoE) is gonna sit this out, without Smedley.

• 122 posts
    May 4, 2020 8:41 AM PDT

I think there has been a lot of negativity lately and usually by the same people.... The website is good but not updated... I like the communication they give and the transparency.... The april 30th stream was great and the thought and effort they are putting into this game just amazes me...

I can't help but to think it is from the same people that want to be max lvl in a month or less... instead of enjoying the journey and being in the world... I mean guys its going to take over 5 years to make the game and you want to be max lvl in less than a month... and your rebuttal usually is well after max lvl we have to gear up... I just actually care about this game and want it to last... sorry rant over...

Good job guys... and thanks for the video updates

• 287 posts
    May 4, 2020 10:03 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

Website will have to wait until a serious publisher steps in and takes over the game.

If a publisher has to come in to "rescue" the game, I dearly hope it isn't DBG.  What they did to EQNext/Landmark was just inexcusable mismanagement and the rest of their portfolio and company in general are not doing well at all.  If anything, they're the outfit in need of rescue.

But I also don't think VR is going to need anyone else to help get PRotF to market.  VR may still be "indie" but that's not a reason they can't finish this game.  An MMORPG is a massive undertaking so it's no surprise it's taking so long.  Only people who lack an understanding of what it takes to produce a game like this and who have grown too accustomed to going from "heard about the game" to "playing the game" in under a year thanks to the huge game companies would have any problem with VR's timeline.  As much as I'd love to be playing this one right now I'm still happy willing to wait for "the right game" to get released rather than yet another grindy Asian P2W disaster full of spammy currency bots/sellers.

• 1303 posts
    May 11, 2020 1:20 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

If a "serious developer" comes in and "takes over the game", then there's about a 99% chance my interest in it is done. 

But I do have to agree with others that the website is seriously overdue for some lovin. 

• 844 posts
    May 11, 2020 4:38 PM PDT

Feyshtey said:

zewtastic said:

If a "serious developer" comes in and "takes over the game", then there's about a 99% chance my interest in it is done. 

But I do have to agree with others that the website is seriously overdue for some lovin. 

I wrote 'Publisher", not "developer".

If you don't understand the difference you shouldn't be commenting.

• 2756 posts
    May 12, 2020 2:40 AM PDT

It was mentioned in a recent roundtable recording that there were plans for the website to be addressed Soon (TM).

• 1860 posts
    May 12, 2020 6:54 AM PDT

disposalist said:

It was mentioned in a recent roundtable recording that there were plans for the website to be addressed Soon (TM).

They say that with a lot of things.  Dont get people's hopes up.

• 2756 posts
    May 12, 2020 11:02 AM PDT

philo said:

disposalist said:

They say that with a lot of things.  Dont get people's hopes up.

Lol just passing on the information. It might stop people moaning about it for a couple of weeks. There's a lot of comment I've seen where people clearly haven't heard all the relevant info. Just trying to help.

This post was edited by disposalist at May 12, 2020 11:03 AM PDT
    • 12 posts
    May 12, 2020 1:40 PM PDT

Syrif said:

I happen to like the website.

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels #gamesnotworlds #aradune

Hell Levels?    You mean fun time same group 15 hour to ding.

• 346 posts
    May 12, 2020 4:58 PM PDT

Both the webpage, the forums generally and the pledge system are the biggest issues I've found. That and marketing or outreach but I can understand that VR are more focused on diverting capital to the development of the game where they will probably focus more on the 'face' around Alpha.

Still though, the pledge system is so poorly done, I really don't know why it isn't dealt with in a proper manner. It's as though they don't need the funding. Granted, I know some developers would pull from development to work on their face of the company and do everything they can to get funds through the door which only causes the project to creep to an eventual failure, for VR's approach in retrospect to that, I thank them. It still surprises me though that they don't seem to show interest in at least doing work on such a shoddy system. Here's a quick criticism and corrective measures.

- The system should be like it is now with a Supporter, Champion and VIP class structure.

- Pledges within each with a standard heirarchy of reward packages

- Blue Supporters recieve Beta

- Orange Champions recieve Alpha (Why is the $200 Champion but doesn't reward Alpha? Make it Blue)

- Purple VIP recieve Pre-Alpha

- If you decide to introduce a new pledge with entirely unique items or rewards (Terrible way to money grab), allow those rewards to be recieved from the higher pledges as well. Don't create some unique provision. It confuses people.

- If a player decides on a subscription model (why the hell is this a thing?), their subscription, each time the totality of it reaches a pledge level, they are awarded that pledge. Once they move past that to the next pledge level, they lose their previous pledge and gain that pledge. This doesn't require some banking or AR solution similar to how you rewarding a player with a pledge does not require a banking or AR solution.

I have had easily, two dozen people DM me on the Discord for assistance on the pledging system and then having to deal with their criticism as to why it's such a terribly designed one if they're a crowd-funded game. I know I can't be the only one who gets these DMs.

zewtastic said:

What's more likely is it will be developed and released before the website is updated. That or we all transition to the VIP website. That's more likely than a publisher at this point. I know you agree with this but what's even less likely is DBG (formerly SOE). There are some who genuinely think they will swoop in for some reason. The reason it's not happening thankfully is because they've lost more than a hundred employees over all four quarters last year and then pushed a divestment strategy with splitting up their products into three developers and they as the primary publisher. It's a divestment push which means they're selling or attempt to sell their assets. It's likely why Holly left Darkpaw Games immediately after this process was finalized.

So I doubt we'll see DBG as they're more likely to be insolvent before Pantheon releases. Don't quote me on that.

This post was edited by Janus at May 12, 2020 5:21 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    May 12, 2020 5:50 PM PDT

Tabian said:

bigdogchris said:

They have said multiple times that new website and forums are in the works.

I suspect that they will unviel the new website when PA5 goes live. I think PA5 is going to be a new major push by them for crowd funding due to the game being available to demo in a pretty near-finished state for the Faerthale related zones.

Unless there has been some new development on this front, the new website and forums project was put on ice for the time being after the mysterious disappearance of Mary the Webdev last year.

The most recent customer service interview that Kilsin did the guys seemed like they were more things they were not able to share when people talked about the website.

Also, they do have a web designer listed on their staff page that is not Mary (Jacob Tyler). Moreover, based on what the CS guys were saying it sounds like the new website may require a full-stack developer due to the integration with many CS and pledge tools. It’s possible one of the other programmers on the team are helping with that.

I suspect that whenever the new site launches it's going to be the 'release' version of the site that goes along with the 'release' vertical slice that Project Faerthale will represent.

When PF launches, this game is going to be pushing for that final grind to release and they are going to need all the help they can get by showing the "finished" game and having an awesome website to market pledges. A hopeful increase in pledges will allow them to bring in the remaining artist and designers they need to finish.

Maybe I'm just naive and hopeful.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 13, 2020 8:57 PM PDT
    • 1303 posts
    May 13, 2020 10:02 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

Feyshtey said:

zewtastic said:

I wrote 'Publisher", not "developer".

If you don't understand the difference you shouldn't be commenting.

Putting aside the counterproductive snide comment... 

You're right. You did say Publisher. My mistake. 

However, the reason for my statement makes Publisher or Developer interchangeable. Specifically the financial influence (read as: strong arm) that a "Serious" Developer or Publisher can have on the direction of a game. Either can require the game's direction be altered to conform with the big-budget formulas that are common in products from those "Serious" developers and publishers, by withholding promised funds. They can also force release of  products that aren't ready for release so that they can start getting their return on investment. 

If Pantheon is funded thru partnership with a corporate developer OR publisher, I'm likely out. There's a glut of the crap these corporations put on the market already, and I'm not fond of their gameplay. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at May 13, 2020 10:04 AM PDT
    • 844 posts
    May 13, 2020 1:26 PM PDT

Janus said:

What's more likely is it will be developed and released before the website is updated. 

There is some precedence for this.

The day Vanguard was released the website & forums that had existed for three years of development disappeared to be replaced by a new one, with a new empty forum.

• 523 posts
    May 13, 2020 4:10 PM PDT

Not really about the website, but the facebook Pantheon page has been down for several days now.  Is this just me, I haven't seen anything about it?

• 1288 posts
    May 13, 2020 7:01 PM PDT

It's working fine for me.  Either it's back up now or it's something on your end.

• 902 posts
    May 22, 2020 6:15 AM PDT

I know there are arguments for and against the development of the web pages and I have brought this up in the past, but it really does need some attention. Old and/or out dated information will turn people off from the game. Links not working does nothing to make the game feel professionally built (even if I know it is). For instance, In-Game Images, there is one (good one) on the main page, dated 2019 and we are comming up to 6 months through 2020. The More Screen Shots section suffers the same. The listed videos are far and few between (and old). Audio Pod Casts section has one pod cast from 2017. There are two developer round tables from 2015 listed that dont work.

There is no "new" information on the site that brings the reader up to date with the current development of game mechanics or direction taken and the like.

I know development of the game is paramount, however, if you are wanting to keep investment rolling in, then I feel there should be something available that will entice those people to the investment in the first place. And keeping a web site up to date and relevant goes a long way to making the casual browser realise that the game hasnt become stagnent. I know VR has said that the pages will be refreshed at some point, but I remember raising this issue months back and having the same response then.

IMHO, it wouldnt take much of a resource just to add a little new content for the site and ensure every link works and keep things ticking along and updated. This would go a long way to make people realise how far along this game has come and my even drum up new financial support.

This post was edited by chenzeme at May 22, 2020 6:18 AM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    May 22, 2020 10:22 AM PDT

chenzeme said:

There is no "new" information on the site that brings the reader up to date with the current development of game mechanics or direction taken and the like.

Well, apart from the News section...

• 441 posts
    May 23, 2020 5:48 AM PDT
    I'm a sales men. This web site does very little to sell the game. I would be happy to give my experience on what this web site needs to do so. Been doing this for 25 years.
    • 902 posts
    May 23, 2020 10:15 AM PDT

disposalist said:

chenzeme said:

Well, apart from the News section...

I stand by my concerns. The news section is informative but not complete. Nor is it regular. It needs... more, more content and more in-depth. It doesn't feel polished.

• 303 posts
    May 23, 2020 6:06 PM PDT

I'm assuming that either VR found an investor and as such crowdfunding isn't needed/they have enough money for w/e reason/they're just gonna go bankrupt. There is absolutely zero marketing, its almost as if all updates, be they gameplay footage or otherwise, are purposely (i know they arent) made to look offputting to anyone unfamiliar with the game. I'm choosing to be happy that the game is financially fine then, even though I don't know if that is true.

• 1281 posts
    May 30, 2020 8:10 PM PDT

Well, they pretty much gave it away in the stream that a new site is coming.

I think my guess that a new site would launch with PA5 is spot on.

• 768 posts
    May 30, 2020 9:56 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Well, they pretty much gave it away in the stream that a new site is coming.

I think my guess that a new site would launch with PA5 is spot on.

True, they really seemed to intentionally hint towards that conclusion. Somewhere between now and the end of the summer is my guess.

• 139 posts
    May 31, 2020 4:51 AM PDT

I will reserve my judgment until the new site.

• 49 posts
    May 31, 2020 5:34 AM PDT
    Vandraad is correct. The real issue is the total lack of updated VR generated information. I check the web site ever 3 months or so and and nothing changes. VR has very limited resourses, but you would think they would at least update the basic information.
    • 99 posts
    May 31, 2020 6:22 AM PDT

My take on the site ...sure it could use an update ..and i think it might be worth it if they need more money.

But then im also happy it isnt going the route of some other games where they made tons of cash selling ingame digital ships ...(star citizen) since thats a type of marketing i very much dislike and seems to be only for some greedy developers. (Since i think part of the cash spent there isnt going into game developement or is spent for partys heh) at least thats how i see it.

This post was edited by Ondark at May 31, 2020 6:23 AM PDT