Forums » Crafting and Gathering

“ Crafting and the Community ” w/ Thorndeep

• 259 posts
    April 7, 2020 7:32 AM PDT

On this weeks “ Crafting and the Community ” we are spotlighting community member “ Thorndeep ”. A huge thank you from Old School Crafters to " Thorndeep Deeproots " one of our VIP Members for taking the time to answer these few questions for us.

Please consider becoming a VIP Member by Pledging to Support the Development of Pantheon.

1) Do you enjoy crafting or are you more of the adventuring type?

I love crafting and being able to make my own gear it really gives me that extra feeling of accomplishment. I like to level crafting with my adventuring so the two go hand in hand, each helping me to progress in the other realm.

2) What was your first experience with crafting in an MMORPG?

My first experience with crafting was in EverQuest. It felt more like a labor of love and something I completed more out of stubbornness than really enjoying the way crafting was done in EQ.  Enduring the EQ crafting system really got me thinking about what I would like to see in future mmo’s, an engaging crafting system, enjoyable in its own right, as well as, the ability to craft meaningful items.

3) Do you have a favorite type of crafting and if so why?

My first love around crafting is baking both in real life and in games. I’m not sure why but eating something I’ve made adds that extra spice. Also, I really like being able to take items I’ve found adventuring, skins, meats, ores, woods etc. and then turn them into something useful for future adventures.

4) Are you excited with development of the crafting and harvesting skills?

We still don’t know much about crafting or harvesting in Pantheon and until I get hands on experience, I can’t really comment.

5) And lastly, how important of a role do you feel crafting should play in Pantheon?

I hope that crafting is a big part of Pantheon. My ideal would be all items are player made but that is not the path VR is taking so the next best thing is that player made items can hold their own with dropped loot or that crafting can enhance dropped loot in a meaningful way making the time spent crafting worthwhile.

• 557 posts
    April 7, 2020 10:21 AM PDT

Really nice to see you back with regular posts, Shyin.

• 259 posts
    April 7, 2020 11:56 AM PDT

Thanks man! :)

• 1273 posts
    April 9, 2020 11:24 AM PDT

Shyin said:

2) What was your first experience with crafting in an MMORPG?

My first experience with crafting was in EverQuest. It felt more like a labor of love and something I completed more out of stubbornness than really enjoying the way crafting was done in EQ.  Enduring the EQ crafting system really got me thinking about what I would like to see in future mmo’s, an engaging crafting system, enjoyable in its own right, as well as, the ability to craft meaningful items.

Ha, I totally feel that.  I was the highest level fletcher on my server in EQ and it was definitely a "labor of love" that took a lot of endurance and stubborness.  But, the payoff was pretty great too.  Being known by so many people felt great.  Being asked to craft things for high level guilds that I had no idea of knew who I was felt good.  I don't plan on spending that many hours on crafting again but I do hope that people who DO decide to spend that many hours crafting are paid for their hard work.  The things crafters can do at high levels should definitely be in demand and not simply over shadowed by boss drops (they should be at competetive at a minimum)

• 1273 posts
    April 9, 2020 11:25 AM PDT

Double post

This post was edited by Ranarius at April 9, 2020 11:25 AM PDT
    • 259 posts
    April 10, 2020 4:30 AM PDT
    The things crafters can do at high levels should definitely be in demand and not simply over shadowed by boss drops (they should be at competetive at a minimum)

Agreed!
    • 416 posts
    April 14, 2020 4:37 PM PDT

I certainly hope that max level crafting will equal max boss drops as well. Or even better have boss mobs drop only crafting mats, but I'm pretty sure Pantheon isn't going to go that route. Just as long as crafting stays meaningful, I'll be happy.

• 259 posts
    April 21, 2020 7:38 AM PDT

Thorndeep said:

I certainly hope that max level crafting will equal max boss drops as well. Or even better have boss mobs drop only crafting mats, but I'm pretty sure Pantheon isn't going to go that route. Just as long as crafting stays meaningful, I'll be happy.

I'm not exactly sure where the balance lies, so we have to trust that VR will find a balance that appeals to everyone.