Forums » Fan Fiction

A Rogue's Tale

• 13 posts
    December 7, 2019 7:45 PM PST

Aurelian awoke abruptly, sitting up in his bed. The aged Healer's bedchamber was faintly lit by the Moonlight beaming

through his now open windows. A warm and gentle breeze pushed back the tapestries as he heard a voice from out of

the darkness, "disturbing dreams?" asked the voice. "Who's there? Show yourself!" exclaimed Aurelian as he fumbled for

the unlit candle at his bedside. The Rogue strode gracefully closer to the Moonbeam shining through the window,

enabling Aurelian to see his partially shrouded silhouette." Are you here to kill me?" asked Aurelian in a tone that

conveyed both arrogance and relief. After receiving no response, he continued. "What a coincidence, I just heard a story

of one of your kind, and here you are." "There are no coincidences, Aurelian, only the illusion of coincidence," answered

Minus. After a brief pause, he continued." I have another story, and this one is for you". "It may be hard for you to

imagine, but I once led a relatively normal life. Fields to sow, crops to harvest, animals to tend. Family, people I cared

about. I lost all that". "Lost how?" asked Aurelian. "Is that how you justify your existence?" added Aurelian in a

disapproving tone. Minus answered, "In Wild's end, there are a particular species of fish that have colonized the

freshwater caves along the Delambra. They were lost. They found themselves living in complete darkness, but they did

not perish. Instead, they thrived. They adapted. They lost their pigmentation, their sight. Eventually, even their eyes.

With survival, they became (pause) hideous. (Pause) I've rarely thought about what I once was. But I wonder. If a ray of

light were to make it into the cave, would I be able to see it, to feel it? Would I gravitate to its warmth, and in doing so,

would I become (pause) less hideous?" The room grew silent as Minus slipped back into the shadows. "And to answer

your first question, I killed you ten minutes ago while you slept."

• 197 posts
    December 7, 2019 8:29 PM PST

Good stuff Booch

• 337 posts
    December 10, 2019 8:07 AM PST

Good to see some more folks getting on and contributing.  The devs are hanging on our every word, just waiting to turn our tales to code :) Thx Booch!