Forums » Pantheon Races

Race (and size) vs environment

• 520 posts
    June 12, 2019 12:58 PM PDT

I've seen a post about a architectural differences between races and that gnomish doorways can be smaller than that of the ogres etc. However! Will Pantheon go further? Making dwarves more accustomed to mountains and rocky areas they could get bonuses (like movement speed, perception and so on) in such areas, elves and halflings would gain similar bonuses in the forests, while gnomes would be more accustomed to arcane forces and gain increased positive effects of the magical statuses and decreased negative effects. Or as it was in Dragons Dogma - small sized person could fit in a smaller tunnels within dungeons to find secret rooms or unlock the way  bypassing certain part of dungeon, while larger characters would have steady footing in windy areas and sould safely cross a bridge - this would of course be temporarly altered by higher level spells or potions.

• 888 posts
    October 10, 2019 11:59 AM PDT
    I expect we might see some racial differences in the climate system but I doubt that we'll have things like favored terrain bonuses. I'm curious to know if some areas will be blocked based on body size (like small doorways).
    • 888 posts
    June 15, 2022 2:02 AM PDT

Upon further thought, it would be fun if they incorporated this in to the game.  Imagine if there were some gaps that only allowed small races through.  The gap could be sometimes offer a quick escape but could also create some 'send in the halfling alone to open the door from the other side' moments that put the short character at greater risk.  There could even be a grating somewhere that short races fall thorugh if they're not careful.

• 2001 posts
    June 15, 2022 10:37 AM PDT

Counterfleche said: Upon further thought, it would be fun if they incorporated this in to the game.  Imagine if there were some gaps that only allowed small races through.  The gap could be sometimes offer a quick escape but could also create some 'send in the halfling alone to open the door from the other side' moments that put the short character at greater risk.  There could even be a grating somewhere that short races fall thorugh if they're not careful.

I would enjoy that kind of mechanic and challenge for sure. The day I was the group's only small character and had to sneak into the Dragon's Lair to open the gate and let everyone else in could easily become the most piss-my-pants terrifying story of my career.

I also think it could easily be a source of countless complaints. If being too big actually blocks access to content then being small has to block access to content as well, not just increase the level of difficulty. Otherwise, VR is creating a meta. And if there aren't as many situations that favor large over small, then it is 'unbalanced'. Even if they are balanced, the medium sized races can now complain that there are no obstacles that require them to overcome! Oh my, the forum threads Kilsin would have to moderate lol.

• 888 posts
    June 21, 2022 9:32 PM PDT

Jothany said:

I would enjoy that kind of mechanic and challenge for sure. The day I was the group's only small character and had to sneak into the Dragon's Lair to open the gate and let everyone else in could easily become the most piss-my-pants terrifying story of my career.

That's a meaningful use of height to create some really fun potential.  Don't worry though, we'll tie a rope around your waist so we can haul back your corpse if needed.

Jothany said:

I also think it could easily be a source of countless complaints. If being too big actually blocks access to content then being small has to block access to content as well, not just increase the level of difficulty. Otherwise, VR is creating a meta. And if there aren't as many situations that favor large over small, then it is 'unbalanced'. Even if they are balanced, the medium sized races can now complain that there are no obstacles that require them to overcome! Oh my, the forum threads Kilsin would have to moderate lol.

It should be enough to be a factor in limited situations but not something that becomes a major factor in race selection. 

The way to balance it is to give taller races a larger climbing reach. They can better reach handholds, so they can sometimes climb a section that is just out of reach of an equally skilled shorter race. This means both can sometimes go where the other can't.  

This post was edited by Counterfleche at June 21, 2022 9:35 PM PDT
    • 2001 posts
    June 22, 2022 1:02 PM PDT

Counterfleche said: Don't worry though, we'll tie a rope around your waist so we can haul back your corpse if needed.

Thanks man. What a pal! :D

The way to balance it is to give taller races a larger climbing reach. They can better reach handholds, so they can sometimes climb a section that is just out of reach of an equally skilled shorter race. This means both can sometimes go where the other can't. 

That's an excellent idea that would help a lot to balance the gains & losses.

Though I try never to forget the advice of Darth Vader, who once said "Don't underestimate the POWER of the victimhood mentality".

(or something like that)

This post was edited by Jothany at June 22, 2022 1:03 PM PDT
    • 888 posts
    July 31, 2022 11:06 PM PDT

Jothany said:

Though I try never to forget the advice of Darth Vader, who once said "Don't underestimate the POWER of the victimhood mentality".

(or something like that)

I prefer a different Vader quote:

"When I Left You, I Was But The Learner. Now, I Am The Master. And you will never again defeat me playing 'The Floor is Lava'".

• 888 posts
    November 5, 2022 4:40 PM PDT

With the reveal of Sevil Mannor (an amazing-looking haunted mansion), I really hope size difference matters. Imagine needing to send a short character down the dumbwaiter to unlock the basement door.  It could make short Rogues very popular.