Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - How important are stats to you?

• 9115 posts
    May 13, 2019 3:59 AM PDT

Community Debate - How important are stats to you? Would you rather look good in the world of Terminus or mix and match to have an extra +2 Str and Con to deal with its inhabitants? #MMORPG #communitymatters

• 145 posts
    May 13, 2019 4:30 AM PDT

the number means absolutely nothing to me personally. what i want is something that is hard fought something that i can be proud of saying i took the time and energy to get, something done with people that fought hard with me to get as well. now if  it looks great that is a plus but its not the real meat of it for me. Give me something i can really sink my teeth into and i can get by with ever art ya come up with heck i like it so far.

This post was edited by stonetothebone85 at May 13, 2019 4:31 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    May 13, 2019 5:01 AM PDT

For non-visible gear pieces, obviously you will take the item with the best stats.

For visible gear, I would probably go with looks, especially if the stat upgrade was marginal. Honestly..who would exchange that cool black BP for a pink colored one, just for +1 more STR? This  min/maxing only makes sense in situations that require optimum performance, like raiding.

• 627 posts
    May 13, 2019 5:09 AM PDT
    Looks dont rly matter to me, so ill go with better stats when i can.

Stats in general i Hope that they matter in the overall gameplay, and that its an important aspect og building our character.
    • 1785 posts
    May 13, 2019 5:56 AM PDT

Stats are important to me, in as much that I pay attention to them and generally try to optimize my equipment in whatever way I feel is best.

However, looks > stats.  If something doesn't match what I'm wearing, doesn't fit my style, or if it's just plain ugly, it won't get used right away, or potentially at all.

• 90 posts
    May 13, 2019 6:25 AM PDT
    I don't see why we can have our stats and look pretty too.
    With player crafting, why not introduce dyes, alterations and customizations for players?

While I think Transmog in WoW is over doing it, why can't we at least be able to change the colours of our characters attire with crafted dyes and embellishments?

Crafted Stat gear is one thing, but giving the crafter the ability to customize gear is what we should be looking at - I don't think it needs to be one or the other.
    • 2756 posts
    May 13, 2019 6:27 AM PDT

I will sacrifice *some* stats to achieve a look I like or, more often, to avoid the look of some piece that I really don't like or doesn't match the character to want to portray.

Looking at the Twitter version of this, Bazgrim seems to think there is already a cosmetics system agreed for Pantheon?  Is that right?  Can someone point me at the info?

Personally, I do *not* want some weird and wonderful bought consmetics system, but I *do* want to be able to override the look of an item with one I've previously earned and worn, even if I have to 'consume' the previous item to do it.

I know it's controversial, but also, the whole thing is pointless if it can be 'switched off' by players anyway.  What's the point in taking the care and time to have a my character look just how I want it to if half players can see me as a mish-mash that I don't even see myself?

• 372 posts
    May 13, 2019 6:37 AM PDT

How important are stats to you?

In a general sense, not very important

Would you rather look good in the world of Terminus or mix and match to have an extra +2 Str and Con to deal with its inhabitants?

Mix and match because I appreciate the idea of piecing better armor together as you obtain it; it feels natural to me

I prefer Tolkien to D&D when it comes to gear

• 438 posts
    May 13, 2019 6:58 AM PDT
    Stats for me. I’d rather gain a little more power than look purty.
    • 191 posts
    May 13, 2019 7:17 AM PDT

Mix-and-match.  Bonus points for giving gear visual character such that you can glean something of its provenance just by looking at it.

• 31 posts
    May 13, 2019 7:18 AM PDT

To me, it comes down to how weighted are the stats and what does a +1 actually mean.  But I really enjoy trying to look super duper in game ( we all know apperance = 50% more potency, lol).

-Jaz

• 259 posts
    May 13, 2019 7:35 AM PDT

I like a matching set of Armor when the stats are holding up. But once they start to lose effectiveness, stats win, and I just look a mess. LoL

• 1315 posts
    May 13, 2019 7:36 AM PDT

I would rather not see raw character stats on gear at all.  The armor slots should only have defensive mechanics and the weapons and spell casting implements should be the only source of offensive increases.  Accessory slots could have stats but it would be better if they had effects instead.  The effects would be things like freedom of movement and the ability to see in magical darkness.

Moving stats off of gear and limit the sources to character creation, spell buffs, and short duration consumables short circuits Mudflation. It also makes spell buffs much more significant and turns short term consumables into a tactical resource.  This will also require defensive stats to be more than simple ac and resists.  Likewise attacks will need to be more complex.  This would directly feed into class interdependance, tactile gameplay, and horizontal progression. 

• 2419 posts
    May 13, 2019 7:51 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - How important are stats to you? Would you rather look good in the world of Terminus or mix and match to have an extra +2 Str and Con to deal with its inhabitants? #MMORPG #communitymatters

Stats are very important, if not the most important thing.  Ever mechanic, every attack, every defense, every spell, everything in the game works off numbers.  The better your numbers are to whatever it is you are fighting, the better chance (again, a number) you have to win.  How I look is irrelevant as it provides no benefit at all.  I played a Troll Shaman in EQ1 and was well aware that the 'artistic style' of the Trolls was primitive at best..and I was completely fine with that because my stats were amazing, many at or very near the stat cap.  My character could walk through the world looking like a desheveled wreck and I'd be just fine with that so long as my stats were where I needed them to be.

So basically, function over form.  Mechanics over graphics and visuals.

• 209 posts
    May 13, 2019 8:05 AM PDT

I like my character to be able to look cool, but stats are definitely more important to me. I'd choose the +2 STA gauntlets over the spiffy-looking ones every time.

This post was edited by Gyldervane at May 13, 2019 8:05 AM PDT
    • 5 posts
    May 13, 2019 8:07 AM PDT

I equip what makes my character the strongest while out in the world doing combat and might have an aesthetic/RP set to throw on while in a city and not fighting.

• 200 posts
    May 13, 2019 8:24 AM PDT

I'm torn on this. If an item has badass stats I want it to look the part. I would rather not find a really cool, unique rare item that has crap stats. It's just a waste and let down IMO. 

But if we are just talking simply +2 STR for a piece of equipment that looks run down, very common or looks out of place on my character,  then I would just stick with the better-looking item. 

(As I wrote the last sentence, I remember reading somewhere that even gaining +1 STR will feel pretty significant, so initially thought +2 STR wasn't all that important, but now I don't know?? haha)

In sum, if I had my way. The better the stats the better the appearance.  But presenting these options/decisions for players to make in-game is what will make this game unique. I'm ok with not having it my way. 

This post was edited by WarKnight at May 13, 2019 8:27 AM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    May 13, 2019 8:30 AM PDT

Don't care about the looks in the slightest, stats are everything to me in a game based entirely on math. :)

However, I am glad there will be appearance slots, because that's important to enough customers that it should be in the game, demographically speaking.

• 120 posts
    May 13, 2019 8:31 AM PDT

This might not be what is being asked, but I want stats to matter a lot. I want each stat point to feel important and noticable, but also want to have the freedom to choose the stats I want to focus on.

Not that I'm knocking WoW, but it's a well known example to start with. In WoW, you can barely customize as far as stats on gear. You go for what has a higher ilvl and primary stat and you're basically just stuck with the secondary stats that come on that piece, even if it's something less desirable for your class/spec. There are notorious expansions that had less-than-optimal secondary stats for certain classes on the BiS gear, which led to those classes being undervalued in that period.

I'd really like it if, in Pantheon, we had the luxury of choosing from many different items that all had the same ilvl (or whatever equivalent) with the same primary stat (or whatever equivalent) but different secondary stats. Without any real customization, we need to have a huge variety of items to be able to create a build we want. So if I'm a Shaman but I want to focus a bit more on healing throughput than on HoT, maybe I want to stack more INT than spell haste (assuming spell haste effects HoT/DoT tick times). I should be able to do that with the equipment available without having significantly lower ilvl items. Or maybe I'm a Paladin but I'm making this really cool build that emphasizes my healing more than sheer survivability because I have a Warrior friend who usually main tanks. There should be plate gear that has more INT or WIS or whatever stat without sacrificing a lot of item levels.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want stats to matter, but if stats matter, don't take away my freedom to choose which stats I focus on because if we all have to have the same gear at each threshold because of item levels, then stats don't matter.

As far as glamour goes, I want to have my cake and eat it, too please. Give me a glamour system with limitations so I can only transmog cloth to cloth and leather to leather, etc. 

• 643 posts
    May 13, 2019 9:11 AM PDT

If this is an "either or" situation and I had to choose my answer is such:

I would rather have an ugly character than a pretty corpse

• 52 posts
    May 13, 2019 9:22 AM PDT

I like being able to get a piece of armor/weapon and have it mean something and then be able to upgrade it or have it so there are augmentation spots.  Make them a craft item, or give the ability to add special metal or item drop from a beast to make your item better.  Kinda cool to be able to hunt some mob that has a high resistance to some environment, or has a characteristic you want to add to your weapon, fire/poison/ice/whatever and be able to add its hide/tooth/bone/etc to your item or something like that.  Instead of waiting for a rare drop from one mob for said item(make the rare drop something really special but all mobs should matter for more than exp), it makes the worlds more real, or be able to make an augment from its blood or its essence or something like that.  Again, make the world matter, make the mobs in that world matter, not just the rares, and please for the love of god make the NPC matter and sell useful stuff.  I have never understood my there are so many useless NPC in a game, they should have a chance to sell rare items or give a quest for a rare item, etc, etc. Especially if you do a lot of business with a certain NPC.  

This post was edited by Albe at May 13, 2019 10:04 AM PDT
    • 1247 posts
    May 13, 2019 9:24 AM PDT

Honestly couldn’t care much about numbers. Now the looks .. bring them on!! ;)

• 1399 posts
    May 13, 2019 9:25 AM PDT

Easy call for my wife, I've had to argue her into an extremely better Stat item more than once to have her reluctantly replace the "pretty" one. I choose my battles so I only do that in extreme cases. She wants Appearance over Stats (unless I threaten not to group with her)

I go for appearance within reason (hard to say how many Stat points before it's relevant) but I will always keep the higher Stat gear on hand for raiding or if I really need it for something. Like said above, I'm not going to wear a pink BP just for +1 str.

• 96 posts
    May 13, 2019 10:36 AM PDT

Sarim said:

For non-visible gear pieces, obviously you will take the item with the best stats.

For visible gear, I would probably go with looks, especially if the stat upgrade was marginal. Honestly..who would exchange that cool black BP for a pink colored one, just for +1 more STR? This  min/maxing only makes sense in situations that require optimum performance, like raiding.

This. But I would add, for emphasis, that in a raid situation, I wouldn't care what I looked like and would opt for the best stats. Everything else is typically looks. For casters, it's easier for me to deal with if the robe covers most of the armor, then all I have to do is find a cool helmet and some weapons, which IMO is easier.  :)

• 2756 posts
    May 13, 2019 10:45 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Bazgrim pointed me at the relavent FAQ: -

4.8 What kind of equipment visualization can we expect to see on characters?

The game world will contain thousands if not tens of thousands of items. That said, there can never be a 1:1 ratio between what you are specifically wearing and how you appear to other players. What you’re wearing does show off what you’ve accomplished, how high level you are, and what adventures you have undertaken to inspire others. Cosmetic gear will also be available, with players selecting how they want to view your character by toggling between adventure and cosmetic.

I have to say I'm very disappointed.  The toggle makes cosmetics pointless to me.  I'm not going to bother setting up a cosmetic look I like when half players will see a mish-mash look that I don't want them to and don't even see myself.

Sounds like if I really want people to see the character I wish to portray, I will have to be sacrificing stats and other things or be forever irritated by certain items that I don't like the look of.  Flashback to garish EQ 'costumes' :^(

This post was edited by disposalist at May 13, 2019 10:55 AM PDT