Forums » The Monk

Monk Resources

• 494 posts
    December 7, 2018 10:47 PM PST

I noticed in the most recent Monk stream (FitForGaming Stream Clip) there wasn't any Chakra or 6 Gates, I only saw Endurance and Chi. I wonder if they are changing the direction (at least resource management) for the Monk or if it was just not implemented yet in this PA4 build. Actually, endurance/chi as builders and spenders would probably be less clunky and easier to build and play than having specific gates open/closed etc.

I dunno, I guess I am just curious where this class stands mechanically - as it is my favorite.

This post was edited by Fragile at December 8, 2018 7:03 PM PST
    • 154 posts
    December 8, 2018 7:28 AM PST

I'm kind of on the fence about the gate systems, but can't really say I actually put hands on it if I like it or not. Something completely different though and will require more skill/attention to play the class well. 

• 14 posts
    December 8, 2018 4:47 PM PST

What you're referring to as Chi is actually the Chakra, I believe Fragile. If you watch the FitforGaming stream and correlate skill usage to skill description such as 

Setting Sun Kick

A precise kick that slows your enemy's spell casting speed. (Generates Chakra)

You see she uses the ability and the purple bar grows. On from that, the gating systems sounds to me like it's going to be mostly superficial... a fancy way to say an ability requires "x" amount of Chakra resource if you will. There might not even be a graphical representation of the gates (conjecture) but a lore flavoring. IE 

Iron Palm

A heavy blow to your enemy's head which angers them, generating high threat and causing them to focus on fighting you for 3 seconds. (Generates Chakra. Requires the Gate of Anger to be open)

The bolded sentence would just mean something along the lines of "this ability needs atleast 'x' Chakra resource to use". Rather than the gates being entirely different resources.

This post was edited by Ghastlee at December 8, 2018 5:01 PM PST
    • 494 posts
    December 8, 2018 7:11 PM PST

Why call it 'Chi' in-game (skill descriptions), and on the class page call it 'Chakra'. That doesn't make any sense.

However, the superficial 'Gates' would make sense to not be there, and just be lore flavor - if that's the case. It seems to be pretty confusing though, as it isn't apples to apples.

"In combat, Monks will constantly generate Chakra as a percentage of the damage they deal. In addition, certain abilities will increase a Monk's Chakra by a certain amount when used."

Except they constantly generate Chi, and use Endurance to build Chi as well. Endurance builders and Chi spenders.

This post was edited by Fragile at December 8, 2018 7:15 PM PST
    • 14 posts
    December 8, 2018 8:00 PM PST
    You’re entirely right about the game descriptions showing Chi rather than Chakra, good catch. That does muddy the water a bit for me. Spose anything is possible at this point :)