Forums » The Shaman

Spirit Wolf or Bear?

• 18 posts
    November 22, 2018 9:37 PM PST

It is mentioned on the class page for the Shaman that Shamans will be able to choose between a spirit wolf or spriti bear as their companion:

Agewalker's Companion

Every Shaman begins their journey with a Spirit Companion, usually in the form of a Spirit Wolf Cub or a Spirit Bear Cub. In this form, the Spirit Companion will stay by your side, but will not interact with your enemies or the environment in any way. At level 10, the Shaman will lead their Spirit Companion through a Rite of Passage, turning the cub into its adult form. In this state, your Spirit Companion begin aiding you in battle at your command. It will also grow in strength as you do, gaining access to a host of unique abilities along the way.

So this got me thinking, could your choice of a Bear or Wolf possibly impact not only which pet abilities you will gain access to at Level 10, but also how your character will develop in terms of buffed abilities and stats?

In Vanguard, Shamans made a choice of spirit companion at Level 15, and this would more or less decide the overall playstyle of the class - while your main role in a group was generally healer, choosing the Phoenix pet would enhance your spell damage, while the Bear would buff your melee attacks and stats, and so on.

We still don't know what the abilities of the Bear and Wolf will be yet, but the page also lists that Shamans will be able to equip 1H & 2H Blunt Weapons, as well as Shields. So does anybody else think it could be that picking the Bear companion will ultimately result in a more melee-oriented playstyle akin to Enhance Shaman from WoW or Mystic from EQ2, while the Wolf Shaman is more oriented towards increased spell damage & DoTs? (Or vcie versa)

Either way, I guess we'll find out in a few days when PA4 starts...

This post was edited by jfrombaugh at November 22, 2018 9:46 PM PST
    • 1900 posts
    November 23, 2018 1:59 AM PST

jfrombaugh said:

It is mentioned on the class page for the Shaman that Shamans will be able to choose between a spirit wolf or spriti bear as their companion:

Agewalker's Companion

Every Shaman begins their journey with a Spirit Companion, usually in the form of a Spirit Wolf Cub or a Spirit Bear Cub. In this form, the Spirit Companion will stay by your side, but will not interact with your enemies or the environment in any way. At level 10, the Shaman will lead their Spirit Companion through a Rite of Passage, turning the cub into its adult form. In this state, your Spirit Companion begin aiding you in battle at your command. It will also grow in strength as you do, gaining access to a host of unique abilities along the way.

So this got me thinking, could your choice of a Bear or Wolf possibly impact not only which pet abilities you will gain access to at Level 10, but also how your character will develop in terms of buffed abilities and stats?

In Vanguard, Shamans made a choice of spirit companion at Level 15, and this would more or less decide the overall playstyle of the class - while your main role in a group was generally healer, choosing the Phoenix pet would enhance your spell damage, while the Bear would buff your melee attacks and stats, and so on.

We still don't know what the abilities of the Bear and Wolf will be yet, but the page also lists that Shamans will be able to equip 1H & 2H Blunt Weapons, as well as Shields. So does anybody else think it could be that picking the Bear companion will ultimately result in a more melee-oriented playstyle akin to Enhance Shaman from WoW or Mystic from EQ2, while the Wolf Shaman is more oriented towards increased spell damage & DoTs? (Or vcie versa)

Either way, I guess we'll find out in a few days when PA4 starts...

I do hope they are only cosmetic or race tied choices, because in an MMO you have no speciality or way to change something you did, cutting access to a spell can be a dire. I also do hope there are way to slot agressive shaman spells and orient yourself to a spellcaster or melee dealer when you're not main healing.

• 2263 posts
    November 23, 2018 8:54 AM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

I do hope they are only cosmetic or race tied choices, because in an MMO you have no speciality or way to change something you did, cutting access to a spell can be a dire. I also do hope there are way to slot agressive shaman spells and orient yourself to a spellcaster or melee dealer when you're not main healing.

Agreed.  Cosmetic only, or at most the differences in the pets could be similar to the difference between, say, an earth pet and a fire pet. The Bear would have more HP, able to tank more, have chances to stun, but lower DPS where as the Wolf pet would have lower HP, less ability to tank, attacks that apply bleed dots and higher DPS.

• 238 posts
    November 24, 2018 7:36 AM PST
    I’m curious as to what pet abilities we will receive. I’m hoping it’s not a trash pet, that dies from one AoE from a boss mob. An in combat buff bot would be an interesting take. That would certainly keep the shaman busy in a group between heals, buffs, debuffs, dots and pet management.
    • 2973 posts
    November 26, 2018 12:10 PM PST

Pretty sure it was mentioned that the Shaman "pet" cannot be targeted by mobs or hit by abilities. Can't remember where, maybe one of the streams with Joppa. 

• 238 posts
    December 3, 2018 4:37 AM PST
    Did they mention why the shaman pet wasn’t in yesterday’s stream?
    • 13 posts
    December 3, 2018 10:08 PM PST
    If we're going to have an animal companion forced on us we ought to have more options to choose from
    • 13 posts
    October 29, 2019 1:01 AM PDT

bears all day every day; I've warmed up to the idea

This post was edited by Progress at October 29, 2019 1:02 AM PDT
    • 6 posts
    August 10, 2020 10:58 AM PDT

I will probably go wolf since I like dogs IRL.  It would be a tough choice if they have actual differences in abilities.  A bear cub would be cool and I loved turning into a bear in EQ1.  So, tough choice.

• 39 posts
    September 2, 2020 12:00 PM PDT
    I had assumed the bear pet would act more of a tank for solo shamans or dous. Slight hp increase, lower dps, and would have an innate taunt with their attacks or cleave ability. Would do away with the root rot play and the taunt would allow shamans to sit down without drawing the mobs agro. Wolf pet would have a higher dps, lower health, and come with an interrupt or minor stun when attacking from behind.
    Now if pets don't take any damage then I'm sure they're purely cosmetic on species type.
    • 39 posts
    September 2, 2020 12:22 PM PDT
    As an after thought I recalled shamans had a pet sacrifice that gave you an ability or buff. Different pets might just give you different passive buffs while they're out and different abilities when they're sacrificed.
    • 2263 posts
    September 2, 2020 2:29 PM PDT

Foolbok23 said: As an after thought I recalled shamans had a pet sacrifice that gave you an ability or buff. Different pets might just give you different passive buffs while they're out and different abilities when they're sacrificed.

Supposedly, if the Shaman has the physical form of their pet summoned, they can sacrifice that pet to enter the spirit world so that the Shaman can then resurrect someone.

• 238 posts
    September 5, 2020 3:44 PM PDT

That is if the shaman pet is still planned. I didn't see it mentioned on the updated class page.

• 39 posts
    September 11, 2020 12:59 PM PDT
    Thank you for the update Vandraad and Feks. Couldnt remember if I read that or saw it on a stream. Usually only hit the forums on a cell phone during lunch or breaktime during work.