Forums » The Summoner

Portal Applications

    • 158 posts
    October 30, 2018 8:52 AM PDT

    I am eager to learn more about how they work. I think there is a lot of potential creative gameplay with them depending on how they function. 

    Distance and duration of said portal are the two most important parameters. The cooldown is also important. There are many odd things you can pull off even with these factors being limited.

    One scenario I have pictured include portal kiting tough boss enemies. As far as I can tell enemies will maintain aggro until you zone or die. The Direlord is perfect for this because they don't need to keep taunting an enemy with their single target escalating aggro taunt. Taunt boss x, run away, boss x gets close, hop in portal. Reappear at port-in spot. Now is where it gets amusing. If the cooldown is too low, the summoner can set up another portal. I can't imagine a portal ability like this with a 15 second cooldown though. But if the time is say 45 seconds, I could see chain portals with multiple summoners being a tactic. If the range on portals is long, then you have even more time to work with as the boss mob has to run all the way to whereever the DL reappeared. 

    Another tactic would involve favorable terrain in conjunction with portals and/or ranged attacks in addition. Two summoners or more with portals is ideal for this too. Tag x enemy, when they close in you portal up/down/across said terrain, enemy has to run all the way back around. Wash, rinse, repeat. Height based terrain is even more favorable with the addition of summoned ladders.

    I'm really looking forward to testing all this stuff out.

    • 132 posts
    October 31, 2018 9:15 AM PDT

    Just make Portal a part of Pantheon for summoners. A giant construct named GLADOS. A ratman running around that you can never seem to catch up to. A cake that's a lie. And I definately want to make portals that when someone steps through them they fall a few hundred feet and die.

     

    Now you're thinking with portals!

    • 143 posts
    November 2, 2018 6:09 PM PDT

    zendrel said:

    Just make Portal a part of Pantheon for summoners. A giant construct named GLADOS. A ratman running around that you can never seem to catch up to. A cake that's a lie. And I definately want to make portals that when someone steps through them they fall a few hundred feet and die.

     

    Now you're thinking with portals!

    Lol... as soon as they mentioned portals I thought about sending my friends off cliffs and putting them in the strangest of places....... That is one of the biggest reasons I want to be a summoner... I cannot wait to see them in action on stream..... Its definitly between summoner enchanter and rouge for me..... 

    • 158 posts
    November 4, 2018 1:46 AM PDT

    Nytman said:

    zendrel said:

    Just make Portal a part of Pantheon for summoners. A giant construct named GLADOS. A ratman running around that you can never seem to catch up to. A cake that's a lie. And I definately want to make portals that when someone steps through them they fall a few hundred feet and die.

     

    Now you're thinking with portals!

    Lol... as soon as they mentioned portals I thought about sending my friends off cliffs and putting them in the strangest of places....... That is one of the biggest reasons I want to be a summoner... I cannot wait to see them in action on stream..... Its definitly between summoner enchanter and rouge for me..... 

    We may disagree on the strength of Enchanters as they stand for the moment but I thought it was funny those are my three class choices too. I'm leaning the most towards summoner but need to see more information and see what gets changed as we get closer to alpha, beta, and release. Out of curiosity what race(s) were you thinking about playing for each? I like the gnomes in Pantheon even though they don't sit well with some people.


    This post was edited by LucasBlackstone at November 4, 2018 1:49 AM PDT
    • 143 posts
    November 4, 2018 8:53 AM PST

    LucasBlackstone said:

    Nytman said:

    zendrel said:

    Just make Portal a part of Pantheon for summoners. A giant construct named GLADOS. A ratman running around that you can never seem to catch up to. A cake that's a lie. And I definately want to make portals that when someone steps through them they fall a few hundred feet and die.

     

    Now you're thinking with portals!

    Lol... as soon as they mentioned portals I thought about sending my friends off cliffs and putting them in the strangest of places....... That is one of the biggest reasons I want to be a summoner... I cannot wait to see them in action on stream..... Its definitly between summoner enchanter and rouge for me..... 

    We may disagree on the strength of Enchanters as they stand for the moment but I thought it was funny those are my three class choices too. I'm leaning the most towards summoner but need to see more information and see what gets changed as we get closer to alpha, beta, and release. Out of curiosity what race(s) were you thinking about playing for each? I like the gnomes in Pantheon even though they don't sit well with some people.

    It's cool we disagree about enchanters... I rather liked the discusion about it...

    By the way I am leaning towards summoner myself... hope we get to group up sometime in game =)... I usually always play evil races... I know its a perception....But... Dark Myr was my first choice but I really like gnomes... So I might be an Evil Gnome lol.... It still could be up in the air though for both class and race... I like the synergy between the enchanter and summoner also... If I had you going summoner I would play enchanter so we could summon behemoths  =)...


    This post was edited by Nytman at November 4, 2018 8:54 AM PST
    • 99 posts
    January 13, 2020 1:59 PM PST

    saveing a about to wipe group.. maybe i dont know the spells specifics, but i used to  use coh for that in eq all the time,  cliff diveing fuuuun, makeing a quest shorter so i dont have to walk back to a npc.. maybe