Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafter's Roundtable: Your Top Three Requirements for Crafting

• 1785 posts
    October 30, 2018 7:38 AM PDT

Hi everyone! For our Crafter's Roundtable, today we want to open discussion up and hear from everyone about what YOU want from Pantheon's crafting system. When you think about how crafting will work out, what are the top three things that it needs to get right for you to enjoy it?

Each week, Pantheon Crafters posts a discussion topic for the crafting community to talk about.  We call these Crafter's Roundtables and we post them both on our site's forums as well as here on the Pantheon forums, so feel free to join the discussion in both places if you'd like.  Also, for an easy directory to all of them, click here.

Just as a note, today's discussion will be the last Crafter's Roundtable in the old format! After today, Roundtable threads will happen every two weeks, and will feature additional commentary from our staff writers to help foster more discussion overall. We think the new format will let us get much deeper into Pantheon's crafting system and the economy as the game rolls into Alpha in the near future, and we hope you'll all still take time out to tell us your thoughts when it does!

• 4 posts
    October 30, 2018 9:01 AM PDT

1 - I would like there to be a REASON to build up a craft so high. Make gear that is on par with boss drops. Custom colors and styles with traits. Food that lasts through a whole boss fight and keeps regen up.

2 - Don't allow a power level, but don't make getting mats imposible. Make it hard enough to where you have to work for it so everyone is not a master in a week or even a month.

3 - Make it profitable. If I have spent 3 months to learn how to make a kick ass Monkey Leg Stew - let me sell that **** to make some coin to buy some purple earrings.

• 19 posts
    October 30, 2018 10:32 AM PDT

I would want crafting to be viable. I would like to see useable items at all levels. Too many games I see that, easily, 90% of crafts are just trash. Because what you find in the world is better. It would be fantastic to see crafters not only be able to make gear at all levels that are useable, but I would love to see crafters be able to alter gear that is found. So if I find a piece of armor that is great for my character, but it has one stat that doesn't really benefit me. Let me take it to a crafter and have it altered at a small penalty to the item.\

**Edit**
    I would also like to see that crafting takes effort. I hope that items aren't obtained in brainless ways and super easy to farm. 

This post was edited by Accessdenied at October 30, 2018 10:36 AM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    October 30, 2018 11:02 AM PDT

With as many horizontal content paths as we’re going to have, you’re going to want to seek crafters for those very specific situations. Instead of having to farm a specific piece of gear, it might be more beneficial to find a crafter with that recipe.

Some items drop when you kill a mob while others are harvestable and others are crafted. Other than a few class-specific rewards, such as epic quest items, many items will be craftable.

This is what I want from Pantheon crafting. I want almost all items to be craftable (at least an equal version of most any item regardless of different name/look) , even if heavy on rare material requirements. 

• 1315 posts
    October 30, 2018 11:47 AM PDT

Just three?  So hard . . .

1)      Training crafting is time limited and not materials limited.  I am convinced this is the only way to keep crafting a value added process which has a great deal of trickle down effects.

2)      Primary crafting recipes are Mr. Potato Head esk where the materials, optional objects and variable subcomponents are what set the core stats, appearance and enhancements.  No named items are craft able but all named items are close to a specific combination of a primary recipe.

3)      Maximum quality Crafted items are 5% better than the named items that are dropped in the same area that the optional rare components drop but may lack unique lore effects.

• 1479 posts
    October 30, 2018 12:29 PM PDT

-Meaningfull but not mandatory

-More work than benefits for a lone player (but great benefits for a guild as materials would be easier to obtain than the required skill for a craft)

-Relevant even outside of gear crafting (Alteration of item look, IE transmog/glamour, ehancements ?)

(-Not for everyone)

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at October 30, 2018 12:30 PM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    October 30, 2018 12:42 PM PDT

1) High Quality yields. Gear, skills, and crafting stations should all come into play.  Most components should also have a HQ version that can boost the chance of an HQ finished product.

2) Leveling up process should have twists and turns.  If it's a linear approach where you can buy 100% of needed materials from the AH and grind all the way to max without ever needing to leave the city it will be too boring to captivate my attention.

3) In the field utility.  I think it would be nice if each profession brought some sort of value to the regular world dynamics rather than just being a producer of goods.  Weaponsmiths being able to sharpen blades (temporary buff) ... alchemists being able to cure certain symptoms, or provisioners being able to prepare fresh meals that players would otherwise never have access to.  (As in they couldn't buy those same meals from the AH and then use/place them whenever they feel like it.)

• 257 posts
    October 30, 2018 2:57 PM PDT

I only have two:

1.) Late game. In most MMO's, when a game launches crafting is beneficial. After about a year -- It ends up being just a currency sink. People spend a lot of game currency or time (or both) to level up their crafting only to hardly, if ever use it. I hope they keep it relevant.

2.) Harvesting dilemma. This is partially tied to problem #1. The game ages. People know crafting is only for entertainment and not really beneficial. Those looking for game currency don't bother with crafting -- they farm the materials to sell to the crafters. More ... more, and more people (and bots) start farming. Prices for materials start to skyrocket because the crafters who would go harvest ... have to deal with all the competition. Is competition good? Yes, but there comes a point where it becomes rediculous. I feel that the value should be in the end product, not some stupid animal pelt, rock, or weed.

• 168 posts
    October 31, 2018 12:17 PM PDT

Good responses here. I will take the vague route.

1)Crafting system built into the game and not tacked on. You can see and feel this in either case. Crafting feels more "in depth" when its built into the game early in development.

2) A system designed to be very involved, to the point that the masses will not want to do it because of the effort required to skill up and max out. It doesn't necessarily have to be complex or simple, just involved and incredibly time consuming to max out.

3) Crafted items not only viable at end game but required and mandatory at end game. Why limit it to end game; crafted items mandatory to progress in lower tiers as well. Oh, and crafted items for things tangent to PvE such as for RP purposes and housing.

• 2419 posts
    October 31, 2018 2:27 PM PDT

Nephele said:

Hi everyone! For our Crafter's Roundtable, today we want to open discussion up and hear from everyone about what YOU want from Pantheon's crafting system. When you think about how crafting will work out, what are the top three things that it needs to get right for you to enjoy it?

1.  There needs to be an ongoing need, bordering on if not an actual requirement, for consumables such that there is continual turnover of product on any given market.  Food, drink, potions just to name a few.

2.  Recycling of items into base materials, but with 100% efficiency.  So if you're in an area that drops FS swords/armor, you can use your Blacksmithing skill to melt down the items into FS ingots though doing so would yield fewer ingots than it would take to make that same item.  This way you can't craft a FS BP, melt it down and make it again for additional skill-ups.

3.  Have crafting tie into faction.  Cities can have multiple factions (+City Guard so you can walk around but to use the shops you need +City Merchant).  City Merchants can give out tasks that, when completed, increase City Merchant faction that can open up access to more crafting materials, tasks and better pricing.  This way if you want full use of a city which, by default, would not look favorably upon your entry into the city, you need to work both the adventuring side (killing those things they hate) and the crafting side (manufacturing or supplying those things the city needs).

• 1921 posts
    November 1, 2018 10:15 AM PDT

Vandraad said: ... 1.  There needs to be an ongoing need, bordering on if not an actual requirement, for consumables such that there is continual turnover of product on any given market.  Food, drink, potions just to name a few. ...

Yep. Totally agree.

• 29 posts
    November 3, 2018 3:08 PM PDT

The one change to the economy that will create the most content would be to implement individual player vendor as opposed to a server-wide auction house. I believe the game economy should be totally player driven like the system in Eve online. This helps balance supply and demand and it creates more avenues for revenue. I also believe player owned vendors will make the game economy more interesting, risky, and create more profitable roles than simply flipping items. This will create more roles within the game such as traveling traders, logisticians, and record keepers. This requires much more planning, group collaboration, and strategy. This kind of depth will keep game economist like myself playing for years and gives a much more meaningful experience as opposed to the other system where you sit staring at an auction house trying to flip items 24/7.

I believe that the profession progression should be on par if not easier than leveling/raid progression, otherwise why craft if you can obtain full raid gear faster. This is one of the mechanics that I have seen over and over again that can ruin a game or at least ruin the economy. If it is easier to obtain gear by killing mobs it is also quicker and to obtain gold at least at the beginning of the launch. The supply will outweigh the demand quickly if this is overlooked. I also believe that the crafted items should have higher stats then most if not all items obtainable in raids. On the other hand, it should take an absurd amount of time and resources to craft items that have higher stats than the best in slot raiding gear. I think it is necessary for a crafter to spend as much time as a raider spends progressing his item ratings except for the legendary best in slot gear crafters can make.

Crafting tools and or stations can make or break the crafting system overall. It is important to find a good balance of tool/station accessibility. If crafters were able to craft on the spot for every item, this will be bad in many ways. Firstly the gathering areas would be congested because there is no need to move locations. Secondly, the supply would quickly outweigh the demand in the auction house or local markets. Lastly, this will encourage guilds to lockout certain gathering areas as there will be no need to move back and forth. I'm a strong believer in player housing and it would be a great place to store all crafting stations similar to most MMOs more specifically Star Wars Galaxies. I also think it would be a good idea to have special crafting stations scattered throughout the world map and even more so in raids. It would be smart at least in open world to have other locations for the same crafting stations because players and guilds could easily lockout access to other crafters.