Forums » The Gnomes

Are there any True Gnomes left?

• August 10, 2018 5:51 PM PDT

This is a lore question, but would also be fun as an in-game plot element.  From reading the lore, it seems like there has to be some True Gnomes left out there, made of flesh and bone.  Am I interpretting the lore correctly?

• 1708 posts
    August 10, 2018 6:08 PM PDT

Don't know about the lore, but I'm guessing you're a fan of gnomes since you have Frik as your avatar.  :)

• 6 posts
    August 10, 2018 11:42 PM PDT

The Pantheon version of Gnomes is the only aspect of the game that bothers me tbh.

• 4 posts
    August 11, 2018 2:36 AM PDT

I'm of the same mind as Pathius. I've read the gnome lore and having difficulty accepting this interpretation as gnomes. It feels like someone didn't like the traditional MMO gnomes and this is an attempt to make them cool. I think the lore would have been better fit to a new human race similar to Erudites of EQ...if you want to call Erudites human. 

• 655 posts
    August 11, 2018 3:51 AM PDT

My vote would be to change the name of this race to something other than "gnome".   There's really nothing remotely gnome-like about them, other than being a small race.   They seem like something from a sci-fi title, not something based on fantasy with dwarves, elves, halflings and ogres.

For people who enjoyed RPing gnomes from previous realms, there's not much to love about Pantheon's lore.   Personality-wise, the halflings seem more gnomish, but none of the traditional caster classes are available to Pantheon's halflings.   Seems like someone on the VR team had it in for gnomers.

Perhaps more traditional gnomes could be added as an expansion race - but it seems unlikely if the name is taken by these incorporeal abominations and VR seem to be standing firmly behind this gnomicide.

• 95 posts
    August 11, 2018 11:58 AM PDT

Celandor said:

There's really nothing remotely gnome-like about them, other than being a small race.

I dunno, MacGyvering your floating prison into an improvised spaceship and some spare cloth (made from rock) into spacesuits for your soul sounds pretty gnomey to me.

Flerb: "Our floating prison is about to get sucked into an exploding sun."

GnomeGyver: "Why don't we fly out of here?"

Flerb: "Fly out of... Oh, you're serious. Ugh, if it'll keep you distracted, go fiddle with that glowy rock."

Sun continues exploding... Gnomes scream as their giant stone prison hurtles through waves of solar fire.

GnomeGyver: "I managed to ride that solar explosion through a massive fissure in the planet. We're safely in orbit. However, now that we survived, our ship is poisoning us. We all have to die by grafting our souls to this spare cloth over here."

Flerb: "I ain't doin' that."

GnomeGyver: "You thought I was joking about flying away too. C'mon. You know you'd rather be a sweet mecha-magic cyborg than have all your flesh burn off as you go mad."

Flerb: "Oh, fizzlemumps."

The addiction to ore-magic and tinkering aren't too far from expectations. Maybe some folks are reacting to their lack of silly hair/facial hair more than anything?

And to address the OP: The lore doesn't state what happened to Elos and Stormona or their inhabitants, just that the player and city NPC gnomes are the ones who landed Skyhold. They're what's left of the Prohpain, or the gnomes who didn't want to use the magic ore (before getting trapped in a prison/ship made out of the stuff). BUT, I do believe I've heard a dev mention that there are factions of the Archanos around the game world as well (the ones driven power-mad or addicted to the magic sun-rocks). Maybe Stormona is pretty close in cosmic distance to Terminus and some of the Archanos followed Skyhold - in ships meant to be ships? Or maybe the Archanos piloted the whole dang planet using Elos' last bursts of energy after stealing the idea from the Prophain? Got me. We'll see how they tie all that together.

• August 11, 2018 4:24 PM PDT

Love the GnomGyver monologue!  I can imagine a gnome with a mullet, brown jacket and stonewash jeans! 

Gnomes getting themselves into trouble with their curiousity is a pretty common theme not only in EQ, but across other games as well.  It seems plausible that gnome curiousity could get them into a situation in which the only way to survive is to give up their phisical being, *BUT*, I can't see them giving up their personality traits (jolly, curious, mischievious) and still be regarded as gnomes.

I personally love the idea of what I referred to as "True Gnomes" coming to Terminus to either assist or rid the world of their bretherin in bottles.

Mod Edit: Merged double post

This post was edited by Kilsin at August 12, 2018 5:21 PM PDT
    • 95 posts
    August 11, 2018 7:06 PM PDT

Any "true gnomes" or Archanos would have had to survive their planet's cataclysm in something other than the prison-liferaft Skyhold, as well as traveled to Terminus somehow. Not saying it didn't happen, but the gnomes have been on Terminus a few centuries by the time we play. It was Skyhold radiating toxic power that made the playable gnomes abandon their bodies. So if any other gnomes did escape, they may not have run across the same issues.

Interestingly, we don't know what the Resivore did to gnomish physiology, besides give them power "far beyond any warrior or mage." So maybe you'll have near-immortal "true gnomes" gone mad with nuclear superpowers that found a way to survive. Heck, I'd almost bet on it with how much fun devs and players could have with that. However, any other survivors may be less recognizable as gnomes than the Skyhold gnomes, depending on Resivore's effects.

Or maybe other survivors will have had the same issues with the ore and come to the same solution as Skyhold's gnomes - maybe they were even the inspiration. We could see gnomes across Terminus who aren't from Skyhold but similarly reside in Maq'esh suits.

Too many unknowns to speculate accurately. I hope you enjoy the gnomes when the game releases, flesh or no.

• August 11, 2018 9:16 PM PDT
    I reread the lore and I could see several gnome variations existing. You have the playable Prophain gnomes, the yet to be seen Archanos gnomes and you potentially have the gnomes that were physically unable to burrow any further into Stormona and would look like a traditional gnome.
    • 2808 posts
    August 13, 2018 3:17 PM PDT

Pretty sure the only gnomes who escaped were the ones in Skyhold, all of which had to bind their souls to cloth. I wouldn't bet on there somehow being "normal" flesh gnomes anywhere on Terminus. 

• 3268 posts
    September 28, 2018 12:10 PM PDT

DynamiteFizzlebum said:

This is a lore question, but would also be fun as an in-game plot element.  From reading the lore, it seems like there has to be some True Gnomes left out there, made of flesh and bone.  Am I interpretting the lore correctly?

YES...I am a true Gnome  *nods* :)

• 2808 posts
    September 28, 2018 3:57 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

YES...I am a true Gnome  *nods* :)

There is only one true gnome. His name was David, and he has been a tree since 1985. RIP