Forums » The Summoner

The Summoner Reveal

• 2236 posts
    November 15, 2018 9:48 AM PST

Thinking about iterations and combinations of the Undine pet has really sparked some interesting possibilities. 

The Undine has 'Ever Flowing' giving it a high innate regen and 'Water Lash' that heals you or another pet for some portion of the damage it is doing.  Depending upon the HP pool of the Undine and its ability to tank, a group of 6 Summoners each with the Archemental Mastery ability with each Summoner having two Undines summoned at the same time (if that is indeed possible) you now have 12 Undine pets each doing DPS and spamming heals at the same time to whatever pet is getting attacked.  If you assume that the Undine using Water Lash isn't trying to heal something that isn't taking damage that could be a lot of focused healing just coming from Undine pets.  Add to that the spell DPS from the Summoners and you could have a group able to kill stuff very quickly and efficiently.

If you can't have 2 Undines summoned simultaneously using the Archemental Mastery ability, dropping 1 Summoner for a Shaman that can buff the pets while group healing and debuffing makes that group even more powerful. 

• 718 posts
    November 15, 2018 10:08 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Thinking about iterations and combinations of the Undine pet has really sparked some interesting possibilities. 

The Undine has 'Ever Flowing' giving it a high innate regen and 'Water Lash' that heals you or another pet for some portion of the damage it is doing.  Depending upon the HP pool of the Undine and its ability to tank, a group of 6 Summoners each with the Archemental Mastery ability with each Summoner having two Undines summoned at the same time (if that is indeed possible) you now have 12 Undine pets each doing DPS and spamming heals at the same time to whatever pet is getting attacked.  If you assume that the Undine using Water Lash isn't trying to heal something that isn't taking damage that could be a lot of focused healing just coming from Undine pets.  Add to that the spell DPS from the Summoners and you could have a group able to kill stuff very quickly and efficiently.

If you can't have 2 Undines summoned simultaneously using the Archemental Mastery ability, dropping 1 Summoner for a Shaman that can buff the pets while group healing and debuffing makes that group even more powerful. 

You bring up an intersting point.  The power potential is hard to deny so it will be interesting to see what the opportunity cost will be to balance out the ceiling.  I mean, is it a coincidence that we see box armies composed of countless magicians to this very day in EverQuest?

• 694 posts
    November 15, 2018 12:24 PM PST

I'm also curious how the power increase will work out. I suppose that Undine will have a rather low dps, so it will probably not turn a mage with the epic skill into a dps monster.

Also, look at what other classes get. Druids for example...once they get storm keeper, they have a permanent dps/healing boost - for no opportunity cost at all. Wizards, once they have some spell fragments, can weave mana free spells. Clerics can generate celestial power just through medding.

It looks like most classes will get some huge power increase through their epic/evolved skills. But...maybe we will need it! :)

• 80 posts
    January 2, 2019 12:07 PM PST

Has there been a stream that shows the summoner yet? If not any speculation on when this might happen? or just the next stream in general?  I havnt seen one but dont wanna miss out as this class looks really fun. thank you in advance for any information.

• 4 posts
    January 13, 2019 5:28 PM PST

LucasBlackstone said:

I don't mind combo skills ( I think we saw wet condition from shaman setting up another class's ability to do more damage ) but the second ability wasn't worthless without the wet condition, just not as powerful. I just don't get why the keystone summoner ability is to make a different class more powerful.

I didn't realize it until you said this, but I think everybody's main hold up on this spell is the fact that it's an epic spell.  If it was a regular spell that just so happens to add group utility than it's no different than summoning a weapon for a group member's pet.  Thus, nobody should have any issues with it.  

I'm pretty sure this is the only epic ability in the game for a DPS class that is solely aimed at making another player do more damage.  While it is a group benifiting utlility (which is usefull and awesome), it does seem a little unfair to force a summoner to go through the trouble of obtaining this epic ability and they aren't even the ones that get to play with it. 

If it does remain an epic ability then adding some benifit for the summoner would be nice.  Something like the following:

a) The summoned beast adds an additional augment to the summoner's pet.

b) The summoned beast is partly elemental, thus the summoner can bend its will as well as the enchanter.  This would give the enchanter control of the beat's mind and what it does, but the summoner has certain triggered abilites (stun, nuke, attack, mana regen, etc.) it can make the beast perform.  

This post was edited by Diomeades at January 13, 2019 5:43 PM PST
    • 158 posts
    January 14, 2019 7:52 AM PST

Diomeades said:

LucasBlackstone said:

I don't mind combo skills ( I think we saw wet condition from shaman setting up another class's ability to do more damage ) but the second ability wasn't worthless without the wet condition, just not as powerful. I just don't get why the keystone summoner ability is to make a different class more powerful.

I didn't realize it until you said this, but I think everybody's main hold up on this spell is the fact that it's an epic spell.  If it was a regular spell that just so happens to add group utility than it's no different than summoning a weapon for a group member's pet.  Thus, nobody should have any issues with it.  

I'm pretty sure this is the only epic ability in the game for a DPS class that is solely aimed at making another player do more damage.  While it is a group benifiting utlility (which is usefull and awesome), it does seem a little unfair to force a summoner to go through the trouble of obtaining this epic ability and they aren't even the ones that get to play with it. 

If it does remain an epic ability then adding some benifit for the summoner would be nice.  Something like the following:

a) The summoned beast adds an additional augment to the summoner's pet.

b) The summoned beast is partly elemental, thus the summoner can bend its will as well as the enchanter.  This would give the enchanter control of the beat's mind and what it does, but the summoner has certain triggered abilites (stun, nuke, attack, mana regen, etc.) it can make the beast perform.  

There was mention of an unrevealed benefit for the summoner when using this spell. I don't know what it is and can't remember where it was mentioned even. So I think you are on the ball with your assessment.