Forums » The Summoner

The Summoner Reveal

• 673 posts
    August 8, 2018 8:46 AM PDT

So The Summoner get the classic Eq pets. Fire (Fury Magic damage), Wind (Zephyr physical damage), Earth (Titan Tank). On top of that The summoner get a healing pet the Undine that he can have active while the other pets are active, and use it to heal. - Very cool and hopefully they are very potent!

The pets seems powerful and the summoner can buff these pets unlimitedly, but with a chance to destroy the pet in the process. - I hope this wont be too tedious, if your pet keeps getting destroyed after the first few casts of the buffs, so you have to resummon and rebuff again with a chance to destroy the pet again, and then again and again (You get my point).

The summoner can summon weapons and armor for the pets, that are scaling and evolving as the summoner grow in power. - Very cool hope these items can be used by players aswell for corpse runs and for other pets as the Enchanters Charms. 

Mana Shield:
    Passive. Through your Materialization prowess, you are able to summon a brief barrier of consolidated Mana every X seconds that will keep a Magic-based attack from landing on you if timed correctly. - This ability im unsure how to time, as it is a passive.

Escape Portal:
    You place a portal at target location that lasts for X duration. While the portal is active, when you activate this ability again your group will be transported through that portal to the location it was placed. - Nice utility Evacuation ability. 

Summoner and Enchanter combo:

Summon Behemoth:
    Epic Ability. Summoners can evolve their Summon Creature ability into Summon Behemoth, allowing them to conjure various creatures of great might. These creatures are hostile and must be Dire Charmed by an Enchanter to be useable in combat. Creatures summoned in this way cannot be permanently charmed and do not provide experience when killed.

I think its bad that you need an Enchanter for this ability to be usefull, this is a Epic ability! Also this will make the enchanter more powerful, not the Summoner.
    Im confused why this is ability is made this way. Also this will encourage 1 player to box 2 accounts as a Summoner and a Enchanter - Personally i hate boxing and think it should be a reson to be banned from the game permanently. I would much rather have this ability be a super strong summon, that is on a timer. You Summon it and it will go HAM for 25s then it will die with a long cooldown like 20-30 mins. I dont want one of my rare epic abilities to be dependent on 1 other class and on top of that, The Enchanter player also need to have aquired Dire Charm, witch also is a rare ability. BIG NOPE for me sorry :(

Utility:
    The summon Raft seems cool and a fun way to travel through water. - But might aswell swim?
    Summon Ladder - Can save some time i guess 
    Summon Food and drink is always nice - But is somthing any player can just go and buy for a few coin.

All in all i think the reveal is a bit disapointing, i do not know what i expected from the class and the reveal. But a class with so many possibilies, as the Summoner i expected to much or somthing way more cool. I hope the rest of the abilities that we have not seen yet, will bring somthing cool to the Sommoners table.
    (this is my personal opinion)

How do you all feel about the reveal?
    What did you expect?
    Will you still main a Summoner or just play the enchanter who brings more to the grp, and also can charm all day long?

This post was edited by BamBam at August 8, 2018 9:01 AM PDT
    • 2235 posts
    August 8, 2018 9:32 AM PDT
    Arcamental Mastery

Passive Epic Skill. This skill allows you to have your Undine active permanently alongside your other active Arcamental.

This ability here will make the Summoner quite powerful, especially at high levels.  Having two powerful pets active simultaneously?  That could easily equate to a 7th person in a group.

• 1964 posts
    August 8, 2018 10:17 AM PDT

I do like some of the in combat utility the summoner has with the evac type of portal, the summon wall, and the dispell portal.  In combat utility was something the EQ mage severely lacked.

I agree with the OP on the Behemoth.  It's strange that a powerful summoner ability is useless unless there is an enchanter available.  Seems like a waste.

I was torn about which caster class to play before the reveal.  My opinion might change again later but, at this point, I'm leaning wizard.

This post was edited by philo at August 8, 2018 10:26 AM PDT
    • 372 posts
    August 8, 2018 10:19 AM PDT

I feel the complete opposite way about the summoning skills and the summoner in general.  I think it's really cool to have an interaction like that.  Don't think of it as only the enchanter becoming more powerful.   It takes both of them working together to get that power.  

I love all the pet stuff.  The options you have for customizing and upgrading are far beyond what I imagined.  I love the idea of doing physical DPS by summoing blades and other objects.  There is a ton of cool utility with portals, ladders, walls, acclimation items, etc.   You an summon a freaking avalanch.   

I'm almost tempted to main a summoner, even though I've been set on the Shaman.

• 145 posts
    August 8, 2018 10:20 AM PDT

yeah i think having 2 pets active with some healing mixed in will be like having 7 members in a grp

and yes i think the epic skill is a tad to situational to use in a grp but quite powerful for a duo (if everything works)

• 451 posts
    August 8, 2018 10:26 AM PDT

philo said:

I do like some of the in combat utility the summoner has with the evac type of portal, the summon wall, and the dispell portal.  In combat utility was something the EQ mage severely lacked.

I agree with the OP on the Behemoth.  It's strange that a powerful summoner ability is useless unless there is an enchanter available.  Seems like a waste.

I was torn about which caster class to play before the reveal.  My opinion might change again later, but at this point, I'm leaning wizard.

Agree on behemoth . seem strange as well , but so far the summoner seems like a powerul utility class with pets . Liking the sound of it and have decided to start with the Summoner ( mage AND a big plus to it :)

• 1202 posts
    August 8, 2018 11:15 AM PDT

Yeah the EPic ability is like confusing. What if there is no enchanter and a summoner is just summoning high level creatures in a low level zone and leaving them? It is hostile afterall and dont say it will disappear within a time limit.

I think this one will change in testing.

• 74 posts
    August 8, 2018 11:33 AM PDT

There are definitely a ton of questions I have now about how some of these mechanics will play out, but it's solidified my decision so far that a summoner will be my main.

• 1714 posts
    August 8, 2018 12:55 PM PDT

Aich said:

Yeah the EPic ability is like confusing. What if there is no enchanter and a summoner is just summoning high level creatures in a low level zone and leaving them? It is hostile afterall and dont say it will disappear within a time limit.

I think this one will change in testing.

This would be easy to fix, it only agroes on group that summons it, and poofs the moment the group is gone (dead, zoned, etc).  Although it could agro on anyone that interacts with it (so if someone decides to attack it).

• 208 posts
    August 8, 2018 12:59 PM PDT

I could have worded this better in the reveal, but the premise is that when summoned, the Behemoth is hostile towards the Summoner. It would, however, retaliate against anyone who attacked it.

The Behemoth will disappear when the Summoner zones/dies and return to the location it was summoned from.

• 673 posts
    August 8, 2018 1:14 PM PDT

@Joppa Uh that is neat, a lot of my conserns already gone. I do still think the summoner, should have a way to control the behemoth in case theres no enchanter (maybe with higer risk compared to, when the duo is present). :) 

Can you clarify about the mana shield ability. How can we activate a passive ability?

"Mana Shield:
    Passive. Through your Materialization prowess, you are able to summon a brief barrier of consolidated Mana every X seconds that will keep a Magic-based attack from landing on you if timed correctly".

@Zoltar the Avalanche ability do sound very very cool! 

This post was edited by BamBam at August 8, 2018 1:18 PM PDT
    • 1202 posts
    August 8, 2018 1:44 PM PDT

Joppa said:

I could have worded this better in the reveal, but the premise is that when summoned, the Behemoth is hostile towards the Summoner. It would, however, retaliate against anyone who attacked it.

The Behemoth will disappear when the Summoner zones/dies and return to the location it was summoned from.

Thanks, makes more sense. It would have to be quite a good pet for it to be useful for a enchanter vs getting a mob that is already in the zone.

I like the idea of monster summoning as a fun spell but I would like the ability to control them. I understand the premise of the ability seeing as if you really are summoning a real npc from another zone then a summoner shoun't be able to control it if its a real NPC because that would be more like a charm. I wount mind seeing something like summoning a "behemoth mana ghost" though.

The "behemoth mana ghost" could be a single new combination of a mana ghost bound to all four elements into one pet for a short duration or even as a epic ability or something. I think summoning Captain Planet would be cool. haha

I also didnt see anything about summoning players, now that would be a cool epic ability is to summon players from other zones vs the same zone. It could work as the portal ability that strips off buffs and even give some side effect like rez.

This post was edited by Aich at August 8, 2018 2:27 PM PDT
    • 57 posts
    August 8, 2018 5:31 PM PDT

I assume that all pets do melee damage while the spear/lance/lasso abilities are ranged? The wording on the top implies that there will be more abilities for the pets than what's featured at the moment.

I'm just going to ask a lot of questions while expecting no answers. Will the portals allow the Summoner to take someone out of existence to a personalized zone connected to the character where they can store their stuff and do other random things? Do spells like Bladed Missles have any sentience on their own or are they simply DD spells? Do they attack the mob in a frenzy (with the possibility of missing/criting) and then vanish?

Can a Titan use a shield? Do summoned pet weapons have procs? Is it silly to give the Zephyr a great hammer? Can a newbie Summoner give their elemental rusty daggers and cheap armor? Can they wear pants? Will other players be able to interact with the pets like NPCs? Like crafting containers? Is the Titan an effective tank for the below-average group unbuffed? Is Zephyr the better puller? If the Undine is the player's first choice when starting off, is there a disadvantage? Do Summoners ever need healing in exchange from more damage or better tanking abilities? It sounds better against non-physical damage.

Will there be an ongoing quest to get as much AC as possible to have the most tankiest Titan possible? Will a belt that gives -40 to all stats and +80 AC work well? I may have read about it a long time ago, but why does the Zephyr need to go behind its target instantly? Does it backstab? Do the pets have their own "mana" resource or is it a bunch of timed skills?

Will there be a wall of spikes? Will Enchanters and Summoners be involved in a feud about how many mobs should be mezzed? Can you feed wood to a Fury? Can it devour your wall of wood to regen its health? Can it burn down the Druid's Verdanfire Tree? Would a group of 6 Summoners with their epics be 18-strong?

I'll stop here...

• 1202 posts
    August 8, 2018 5:53 PM PDT

Radeon said:

*snip*

Will the portals allow the Summoner to take someone out of existence to a personalized zone connected to the character where they can store their stuff and do other random things? 

*snip*

Now that would be something, reminds me the recent Harry Potter themed movie, Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. He had a whole damn zoo in his suitcase. Also of course Dr Who, Its bigger on the inside then the outside.

Lots of cool ideas for a summoner who's theme is time and space. Knockback effect? No problem welcome to my wall of jello, bounce right back.

Considering the time aspect, Ekko from league of legends ultimitate anybody for a oh crap pet ability? :)

This post was edited by Aich at August 8, 2018 5:57 PM PDT
    • 1202 posts
    August 8, 2018 6:02 PM PDT

BamBam said:

*snip*

Utility:
    The summon Raft seems cool and a fun way to travel through water. - But might aswell swim?
    Summon Ladder - Can save some time i guess 
    Summon Food and drink is always nice - But is somthing any player can just go and buy for a few coin.

*snip*

So the raft thing is kinda cool but maybe once you get out of it or run out of mana it goes awy vs time limit but either way, how aweosm would it be to summon a boat and not have to wait on the boats like in EQ1? Pro. Now given it stays after zoning. Now Imagine a magical see-thru submarine(bubble) for an entire raid setting up in a water zone. Or summon me a pirate ship.

Ladder. Intresting but I can see better version liek an elevator levitating stone or portals between two place.

I liked the summon food thing because it says it will be on a table, how cool is that. means people will be able to pick up things from it or it will be a container. Imagine the possibilities. Chest of mod rods, Chests of armor.

Summoner is on my top list because no necromancer but I think id play a summoner anways this time. Wish I was PA to test it but gotta wait for Alpha. Id lose my pre-nerf pledge items if I upgrade. :(

This post was edited by Aich at August 8, 2018 6:14 PM PDT
    • 1202 posts
    August 8, 2018 6:41 PM PDT

Solved it.

I mentioned it here, https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/9091/class-codependency/view/post_id/173335

but if the Summon Behemoth could provide a bonus xp to mobs killed while using that mob, either for the summoner ro grp or both, but summoner must get % more of course :)

Provide benfit to use it if the mob isnt just overpowered compared to the current level of mobs in the zones available for the enchanter to charm.

This bring up a question i'll ask in another threrad.

This post was edited by Aich at August 8, 2018 6:42 PM PDT
    • 158 posts
    August 8, 2018 6:45 PM PDT

I am one hundred pecent in agreement with the people who believe needing an enchanter for your best summons ability to be useful is not a good thing. I think the reverse would also be bad, if the best enchanter mezz or mana regen spell was only useful if a summoner gives them a special summoned item. I don't mind combo skills ( I think we saw wet condition from shaman setting up another class's ability to do more damage ) but the second ability wasn't worthless without the wet condition, just not as powerful. I just don't get why the keystone summoner ability is to make a different class more powerful ( not to mention that charming things so you can have whatever you want as a pet already majorly steps on summoner's toes ).

Outside of that, I am not sure what to make of the rest of abilities. If the pets are decent, then the class will be fun. If the pets die in one or two aoe abilities, and the damage they do is mediocre, I feel that is less fun.

The raft summon may be interesting depending on how fast it is. Summon ladder is amusing. Food and drink, useful but not particularly cool. The portal and walls will be very useful in some fights.

• 41 posts
    August 8, 2018 7:03 PM PDT

I enjoy the fact we can potentially have 2 perma pets out at once, but I also have some questions regarding the nature of pet damage. Obviously they each specialize in a certain type, but it does appear as though the Wind pet is the only actual melee pet (very much like the EQ water pet in that this one seems like it'll be like a rogue pet and do the best DPS, along with having the sweet ability to position it behind a mob with a skill). Many of the other skills appear to be ranged-based spells that do varying forms of Magic Damage. Have we gotten anything definitive about what Nature damage consists of, or is it just a standard damage type that some types of mobs may be more susceptible to?

Agreed on the concerns about the epic Summon ability. It appears as though it only serves a purpose if you have an Enchanter in group, they have Dire Charm, and you coordinate using it. What if you accidentally hit the ability when solo or no Enc around? Guess it's either eat a death or zone it off? Seems as though they could really change how class co-dependence works so both classes see a benefit or ability to actually manipulate/take advantage of the shared skills. I do enjoy the overall higher level of utility we appear to have and I'm interested in seeing how the Undine will support and boost the other arcamentals, but overall I'm a bit less excited about Summoner than I was previously.

I also have some concerns about Wizard, so right now I might actually lean towards rolling a Druid if the Summoner remains much the same as it does now. However, obviously it is very early in the process and there's tons of tuning to be done, so I'll be cautiously optimistic.

• 7 posts
    August 9, 2018 11:09 PM PDT

Originally I planed to play a sumonner for 2 things : he is a mage, and he is the only one to control a pet.

Well, I guess I can already forget about "the only one" part ^_^.

But I believed summonner would at least be the one to control the most powerfull pets.

Now with this Behemot thing, maybe I should reconsider and choose an enchanter instead ?

Especially if there is almost no danger using "charm" at hight level with enought stuff, or if the permanent charm triggers often enought.

I guess I will have to wait and see :)

• 694 posts
    August 12, 2018 7:16 AM PDT

I have a number of questions about the summoner and the pets:

- will arcamentals be able to zone with you? Quite sure they will be, but it would be nice to have a confirmation :) Especially if you consider that the base arcamentals have to be improved through armor/weapons/buffs.

- I'm curious how the Arcamental Weaponry/Armor summons will work. I assume similar to EQ, where you could summon a complete set of armor for example. If it is single items, it might be easier to mix and match (Breastplate of Power, Leggings of Energy), but would probably get tedious to re-summon when an arcamental dies or when you're just starting out.

- what about other regular (non-summoned) weapons/armor pieces? Will arcamentals be able to use them?

- speaking of buffs...can the arcamentals be buffed with other (group) buffs than your own augmentations? Can they be healed by other classes?

- I'm also curious how the limitation with the augmentations is meant. If each arcamental has two stats, is there already a 50% chance for the pet to explode when you apply the augmentations for both stats? Or do the arcamentals also benefit from other stats, so you actually might try to get more augmentations in place? Also, what happens if the arcamental dies...will there be a nasty AE effect or will the arcamental just fizzle out of existence?

- are all arcamentals "melee enabled"? From the ability descriptions, it sounds like the Fury for example deals no physical damage at all - will it just sit stationally (turret form) or will it still move towards the target enemy even if it doesn't melee (otherwise the "Bare and Burned" ability would be hard to use). What about Undine?

- Undine can be summoned "briefly" alongside the other arcamentals (unless in the epic form). How long is briefly? Having to constantly summon Undine to get a pet heal (especially if other classes could not heal the arcamentals) could become quite tedious if this only lasts a few seconds. Also, can Undine be summoned as a regular pet on its own (without having another one up)?

- what about basic the pet commands? Will we have "/pet hold" right away, or will this not be available (forcing us to spam the "/pet back off" hotkey)? Or maybe something we can learn from skilled summoners in the world?

Overall, I am very pleased with the reveal. I like how each pet has some self-use abilities, and some summoner-activated. In particular the Titan looks like it might be a very effective off-tank. The Zephyr looks like a really nice melee dps pet. I'm not sure how the Fury or the Undine will work yet, but they also look amazing from their ability descriptions and possible synergy. I'm also happy with the amount of utility the class seems to get.

Summoner always was on my list of "might main" classes, and with the reveal it remains there and is very high up there now. I'm looking forward to get more information on the class! :)

This post was edited by Sarim at August 12, 2018 7:19 AM PDT
    • 143 posts
    November 4, 2018 9:24 AM PST

Joppa said:

I could have worded this better in the reveal, but the premise is that when summoned, the Behemoth is hostile towards the Summoner. It would, however, retaliate against anyone who attacked it.

lol that is so cool......

Great job VR can't wait to get my hands on it =)

• 158 posts
    November 6, 2018 10:09 AM PST

Nytman said:

Joppa said:

lol that is so cool......

Great job VR can't wait to get my hands on it =)

I still have a sour taste over the Summoner Epic ability being a pet for ANOTHER class. But there has been some mention of a beneficial synergy for the summoner from using this ability so I guess time will tell.

• 35 posts
    November 12, 2018 4:08 PM PST

Joppa said:

I could have worded this better in the reveal, but the premise is that when summoned, the Behemoth is hostile towards the Summoner. It would, however, retaliate against anyone who attacked it.

Is this something that an enchanter can find on their own in hard to reach places so its more of a convience factor or is this something that's exclusive to the relationship of summoners and enchanters?

I think its a cool concept in theory, and setting up the Summoner class to be more of a synergistic class that amplifies other class' potential through summons is something that would fulfill that fantasy for me personally.

But having an epic ability that is a specific synergy with only one other class is a little off-putting. 

If I cant find groups with enchanters and utilize my full skillset, its not going to feel good.

Maybe having it labeled an epic ability is not the best way to go about wording it. 

It would be much better recieved as more of a flavor skill with a long C/D for interclass play than an "Epic Ability"

An epic ability IMO could be synergistic but shouldnt be limited to situations where one of many classes must be present to utilize it.

I'll definitely test it in Alpha though

• 793 posts
    November 14, 2018 8:59 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Arcamental Mastery

Passive Epic Skill. This skill allows you to have your Undine active permanently alongside your other active Arcamental.

This ability here will make the Summoner quite powerful, especially at high levels.  Having two powerful pets active simultaneously?  That could easily equate to a 7th person in a group.

I honestly can see this one being a lower lvl type heal, and or one that might be nerfed a lot down the road. The devs better becareful with this one off the start. Reason i say this, we have seen it too many times where players AKA Clerics, shamans, druids whined about another class.

Should the summoner become a healer? I honestly dont believe this is a good direction. I would prefer them to have a ramped DPS pet, for short durations then a healing pet, but summoner is a summoner and they should dabble into all things good and evil.

I just do not wish to become the Mana battery the necro became. But i am happy to know its a 2nd pet and not a primary pet, going around applying heals to group members.

• 1898 posts
    November 14, 2018 12:43 PM PST

I personally would have prefered a permanent undine exclusive of other pets, making it a choice, with buffing/support of some sort to make it different and usefull in some compositions where, per example if you only have physical or magical damage dealers, it would be more usefull than an all around DPS pet.