Forums » The Elves

Where's the dark elves at?

• 23 posts
    July 21, 2018 8:57 AM PDT

I was surprised to not have Direlord option for the Elf. Hoping to be a Dark Elf Direlord like the shadowknight. The lack of this option immediately makes me choose Dark Myr.

• 35 posts
    July 21, 2018 12:06 PM PDT

One of my RL friends was wondering the same thing. Are "Ember" elves going to be playable? And are they "evil," or just slightly more aggressive? 

• 1714 posts
    July 21, 2018 1:05 PM PDT

I think most people consider the Dark Myr to effectively be the classic dark elves from other fantasy games.  I personally like it, a bit of a different take on the various races is refreshing.

• 306 posts
    July 21, 2018 6:07 PM PDT

Lyaelan said:

One of my RL friends was wondering the same thing. Are "Ember" elves going to be playable? And are they "evil," or just slightly more aggressive? 

I think the devs have talked about both the Ember and Ashen Elves being playable. The Ember aren't evil; they just have a more expansionist philosophy, looking to extend their reach outside of Faerthale, while the Ashen want to stay more cloistered in their current home. At least, that's my understanding. If any devs want to chime in and correct me, feel free!

• 814 posts
    July 22, 2018 2:32 AM PDT

kelenin said:

I think most people consider the Dark Myr to effectively be the classic dark elves from other fantasy games.  I personally like it, a bit of a different take on the various races is refreshing.

I agree. Pantheon for me isn't a copy of another game's races. It's a different game all together. 

And who's to say that there won't be other races released after X-amount of time. Something that would fit the Dark Elf desire even closer than the Dark Myr. Although I'll probably stick to my Dark Myr necro anyway.

• 4539 posts
    July 23, 2018 3:32 AM PDT

Barin999 said:

kelenin said:

I agree. Pantheon for me isn't a copy of another game's races. It's a different game all together. 

And who's to say that there won't be other races released after X-amount of time. Something that would fit the Dark Elf desire even closer than the Dark Myr. Although I'll probably stick to my Dark Myr necro anyway.

Also agree. And I think it's worth mentioning too that the Dire Lord is not really the same thing as a Shadowknight. Yes they are both kinda "evil" tanks, but that's pretty much the extent of their similarity. I understand why a lot of people want to play the same thing they have played in other games. But I think it's good to be willing to branch out too sometimes :) I actually like the design of the Dire Lord much better than a Shadowknight. If all games had the same races and classes, it would actually get very boring eventually.

• 23 posts
    July 31, 2018 6:01 AM PDT

I tend to play two characters that are both "evil" and "good". Playing one without the other is boring to me. Dark elves are found in many games and in fantasy lore. Just was surprised to not see a balance here - not many "evil" races - Dark Myr, Orge, and Skar. Humans are in the middle. Gnomes are "swing" with necromancers. I wish Elves were flexible as well. Starting locations matters...

• 4539 posts
    July 31, 2018 9:02 AM PDT

heLLena said:

I tend to play two characters that are both "evil" and "good". Playing one without the other is boring to me. Dark elves are found in many games and in fantasy lore. Just was surprised to not see a balance here - not many "evil" races - Dark Myr, Orge, and Skar. Humans are in the middle. Gnomes are "swing" with necromancers. I wish Elves were flexible as well. Starting locations matters...

While alignment/faction is very fluid in Pantheon, the original designations of the races are actually quite balanced:

Good - Elves, Dwarves, Halflings

Neutral - Humans, Archai, Gnomes

Evil - Ogre, Skar, Dark Myr

As you can see, there are 3 each. But I actually personally prefer to not think of the races quite that simply. I believe the relations between the races will be a bit more complicated. For example, not all Halflings may hate all Dark Myr and vice versa. Plus, your actions in the game will determine how other races view you, sometimes moreso than your race. You could theoretically play an Elf that turns evil or an Ogre that turns good.

• 23 posts
    August 9, 2018 12:04 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

heLLena said:

While alignment/faction is very fluid in Pantheon, the original designations of the races are actually quite balanced:

Good - Elves, Dwarves, Halflings

Neutral - Humans, Archai, Gnomes

Evil - Ogre, Skar, Dark Myr

As you can see, there are 3 each. But I actually personally prefer to not think of the races quite that simply. I believe the relations between the races will be a bit more complicated. For example, not all Halflings may hate all Dark Myr and vice versa. Plus, your actions in the game will determine how other races view you, sometimes moreso than your race. You could theoretically play an Elf that turns evil or an Ogre that turns good.

I think starting locations will play a large part of race selection. Faerthale sounds amazing. Wish the classes were more flexible then.