Forums » Crafting and Gathering

What kind of store would you run in Pantheon?

• 1785 posts
    June 20, 2018 12:49 PM PDT

If the game gave you the ability to open a "store" with an NPC vendor to sell your wares, what sort of things would you sell? What kind of store would you have? How would you customize or decorate to help bring in customers? How would you want to be able to advertise so people could find your store?

No wrong answers, I am just interested in hearing what everyone would do if this were an option :)

• 20 posts
    June 20, 2018 2:43 PM PDT

Spells! Magical tomes! Normal books.

I guess a bookstore? With lore and such - maybe even stories I've written myself! (Or found somewhere).

• 66 posts
    June 20, 2018 3:06 PM PDT

Dag's Nabs - a pawn shop. No questions asked, except, "Could you at least wipe off the blood next time?"

• 1785 posts
    June 20, 2018 4:30 PM PDT

Lyaelan said:

Spells! Magical tomes! Normal books

I guess a bookstore? With lore and such - maybe even stories I've written myself! (Or found somewhere).

So I'm guessing you'd go for the scribe profession then?

Actually, one of the things I think a lot of us might like to see is the idea that there might be looted recipes/schematics/skill upgrades - so this kind of a shop could be big business if you had a good set of suppliers in your guild!

DagNabbit said:

Dag's Nabs - a pawn shop. No questions asked, except, "Could you at least wipe off the blood next time?"

Love it.  I never thought about naming your shop but that is awesome.  I'd totally buy there #noquestionsasked

• 14 posts
    June 20, 2018 5:01 PM PDT

I believe when it comes to a storefront, the first thing that I think of is location, location, location. I would like our wares to be available where people know to go looking for them. This would provide a centralized location for crafters, much like a mall. I would utilize my NPC as a guild vendor; this would ensure that it is always stocked with relevant items. I would customize my NPC vendor to stand out so that it was easy to spot. Having high-end goods and consistent selection would be the best advertising as the people would know that the vendor is always filled with goods. It has been said that a universal auction house is not in the spirit of the game; however, having merchant hubs would allow people to sell their goods in cities limiting the constant spam in chat or trade channels.

• 1315 posts
    June 20, 2018 5:07 PM PDT

I've spent a few summers doing a fair amount of SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism).  One of my favorite things was walking up and down vender alley where all the merchants set up square canvas tents and hung their handmade wares in many different ways.  Usually there was a theme to a shop but occasionally you would have the catch all used goods stall as well.  I hope that when/if merchanting shops come in we can actually arrange the goods in our stores to be phyisically looked at before buying.  Duplicate items could be pulled from storage before removing your display item but having a real tangable shop would be very cool.

• 2 posts
    June 20, 2018 6:17 PM PDT

Trasak said:

I've spent a few summers doing a fair amount of SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism).  One of my favorite things was walking up and down vender alley where all the merchants set up square canvas tents and hung their handmade wares in many different ways.  Usually there was a theme to a shop but occasionally you would have the catch all used goods stall as well.  I hope that when/if merchanting shops come in we can actually arrange the goods in our stores to be phyisically looked at before buying.  Duplicate items could be pulled from storage before removing your display item but having a real tangable shop would be very cool.

off topic but <<< Part of The Norse Gypsy Forge that is mainly north-west.  Though Estrella has been a main go-to for the past 2 years as well and in the future!

• 399 posts
    June 20, 2018 8:14 PM PDT

hate DayBreak as much as you want but I really liked EQN's take on player housing and shops.  Make a shop and as people shop, NPC's would come and set up more shops creating a village eventually.  

However, I am sure that this dynamic as well as the fully destructable environment (and many other issues like team and vision changes and of course DB itself) is what did in EQN.  Still if that was the only dynamic part with respect to player housing and shops and in limited fashion (like 1 or 2 stores per account) it would be so awesome.

The store I would like to see is a tailor shop.  Everything necessary to tailor stuff.

• 768 posts
    June 28, 2018 1:27 PM PDT

I would have my tradeskill shop in a "Tradedistrict". Please organise such districts !!  It makes sense that tailors show their clothing, adornments, curtains and carpets in a market filled with competing shops. (This of course can be npc's as wel.) If a traveler would walk through one district it could distinquish which goods would be on sale here, just by looking at the style of the district/buildings/statues/decor/ and shops themselves. Or perhaps use square if you think districts would require a city that would be too vast. 

If I'm selling loafs, dried herbs, berries and fruits, I would love to set up shop in an area that breaths the atmosphere. Like the local foodmarkets for example. 

The "bad" thing about districts or tradespecific squares would be that one has to travel through the village or city to get all the different goods they might be seeking. And is that bad thing per se? If the markets are returning on a scheduled basis, than one would be able to learn and remember where to go and thereby speeding up his shoppingtrip. 

For smaller towns or  villages one could work with certain specific/unique good/ingredients or resources that one would only find in that specific area. I would love the idea of having to travel to specific places in the world to get certain goods. It makes it more senseable and immersive. 

The commonly used broker system is nice and handy. But it's not really immersive, when you think in lines of; do you create a shopping or selling experience. And that is a thing for tradeskillers or required good, right?

I know it's not fully into your topic but it seems fitting to put it in here as wel.

For me, I would have an open brewery/tavern with a small band playing. Bubbling ales and bread and cheese for all. If not that a nice tailor shop with pillows, curtains, shoes, boots and hoods carefully placed in glass displays, of course in one of the wealthier districts. I can't wait to start one in Terminus. 

This post was edited by Barin999 at June 28, 2018 1:27 PM PDT