Forums » The Dire Lord

Skills revels

• 133 posts
    June 18, 2018 2:58 PM PDT

Ok sence the other post is in general  and most people  talking on how viable the class is as a tank.. i want this post to be nothing of that lets talk anout the skills we seen how we thank they mite play out and how we mite use them 

For one it looks like we have 3 stances  one for dps one for tanking  and one for down time. 

And we have a cc root? 

And looks like we have a temp shield on magic witch makes me thin of the stream where they guys had to run through  that mana hp drain  area to get to some dungeon  maybe if a dl was there it would have been easyer

• 1816 posts
    June 18, 2018 3:28 PM PDT

I wouldn't say tanking/downtime/dps , as tanking is (to me) including damage reductions of sorts in addition to aggro.

I'd say it's more : Threat stance, Ability and regen stance, and damage sustain stance.

Threat will obviously be a must have in opening, but maybe the ability/regen stance will be used once threat is established to perform more moves and recover more life, making the DL sturdier of some sort, maybe once Provoking Phantoms will have ramped up.

This post was edited by MauvaisOeil at June 18, 2018 3:28 PM PDT
    • 133 posts
    June 18, 2018 3:35 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

I wouldn't say tanking/downtime/dps , as tanking is (to me) including damage reductions of sorts in addition to aggro.

I'd say it's more : Threat stance, Ability and regen stance, and damage sustain stance.

Threat will obviously be a must have in opening, but maybe the ability/regen stance will be used once threat is established to perform more moves and recover more life, making the DL sturdier of some sort, maybe once Provoking Phantoms will have ramped up.

I think these skills cant be changed  mid combat  i think you have to pick them befor argo happend befor your swing at anything 

• 1816 posts
    June 19, 2018 12:12 AM PDT

I do not know for now, but that would mean having more than one on your bar is pointless, and would lock you awaiting in threat stance if you expect some adds in a fight you're not MTing, because you wouldn't be able to switch mid fight.

• 69 posts
    June 20, 2018 6:55 AM PDT

Keep in mind they may have split the categories of abilities for a reason - they have said the game will have a limited skillbar, I would say it is a good chance that Blood States (DL), Hymns (Paladin), Banners (War) would have a seperate 'bar' containing these.  I also believe they are easily switched states in combat (being able to switch states to suit your needs seems pretty lame if it is out of combat) they are the kind of abilities you want to be dynamic with to change as a battle unfolds (due to changes in situation such as unexpected adds/party member death etc.)

They want a limited skillbar for a more strategic approach to combat, limiting the above with only being able to fit one on the bar and not being able to change them if in combat I think would run counter to the idea of strategic combat.

This post was edited by asteldian at June 20, 2018 6:57 AM PDT
    • 254 posts
    June 20, 2018 7:24 AM PDT

asteldian said:

Keep in mind they may have split the categories of abilities for a reason - they have said the game will have a limited skillbar, I would say it is a good chance that Blood States (DL), Hymns (Paladin), Banners (War) would have a seperate 'bar' containing these.  I also believe they are easily switched states in combat (being able to switch states to suit your needs seems pretty lame if it is out of combat) they are the kind of abilities you want to be dynamic with to change as a battle unfolds (due to changes in situation such as unexpected adds/party member death etc.)

They want a limited skillbar for a more strategic approach to combat, limiting the above with only being able to fit one on the bar and not being able to change them if in combat I think would run counter to the idea of strategic combat.

Yeah, I was wondering about this too. Hopefully Blood States, Hymns, Banners, and any stances for other classes would have their own "extra bar," as we've seen in some games. Would make for a less cluttered action bar and a much smoother mechanic in my opinion. Also, I like the idea of a limited action bar, but having to give up three or more slots on the main bar just to have access to all your stances would seem unnecessarily constraining.

• 918 posts
    June 20, 2018 9:30 AM PDT
    In regard to the limited abilities on your bars, I believe that the list of abilities revealed wasn’t meant to be all inclusive but more of a preview of the core mechanics. There will likely be several other abilities that you will have to choose from to have on your bars, not just 12 or so to pick from. At least I hope so. This would allow for a bit of personalization instead of just having gear and race being the only thing that differentiates you from other DLs (or any class for that matter).

On another note, I am fully expecting the tank roles to be the most modified for balance before release.