Forums » The Monk

Monk reveal what do you think?

• 649 posts
    May 17, 2018 1:55 PM PDT

I thought the chakra idea seems cool, it reminded me a bit to much of Rock Lee from the Narauto manga. He also opens chakra gates and becomes a beast literally. Glad to see a stun, even though it will stun the monk as well. The unleash of all chakra ability sounds like a blast! And the selfheal, with inbuilt atk speed buff will always be nice to have on the skill bar. What do you all think?

This post was edited by BamBam at May 17, 2018 11:48 PM PDT
    • 771 posts
    May 17, 2018 2:35 PM PDT

That is immediately what i thought of. The reason is because Naruto did a REALLY good job at researching thier content. I think the combat system is going to be really good.

• 64 posts
    May 17, 2018 4:54 PM PDT

I think monks with Chakaras are a great idea. They go hand in hand in many ways.

• 1874 posts
    May 17, 2018 11:33 PM PDT

I do like what I read. However, I'm a bit cautious with "Specific class gauge" as they can end poorly implemented (That's what FFXIV did with stormblood and most of their classes ended gutted or stupid paced). I allways prefered classes to have "generic ressources" and to manage them differently, like Mana and endurance, with rogues have low costs and quick recovery, warriors getting back some endurance on critical hits, some classes tapping in both ressources, etc...

I do wonder, if rangers and monk have no endurance, how will they balance the fact their "gauge" generator skills will have no cost at all. I would have prefered it to be a secondary bar of some sort, where they tap into endurance for basic skills, and release their ressource for more advanced skills. I hope that using a "gate" skill will put your chakra to 0 as it will force some strategic thinking, it seems gate of anger will be the first to open and thus, if you need to snatch Aggro you should do it at the full expanse of a strong dps skill.

Edit : I liked the fact the ranger had a passive benefit of filling his gauge too, but I'm wondering if "a % of damage" is a good calculation as it might lead to a big snapshot with stuff, buffs and such.

This post was edited by MauvaisOeil at May 17, 2018 11:34 PM PDT
    • 69 posts
    May 18, 2018 4:02 AM PDT

The generating skills will likely either be on cooldowns or be fairly minor damage 'builder' skills. 

The Chakra is an interesting idea, will have to wait and experience it before I judge but initial thought is it could be a bit fiddly for my tastes, but we will see.

• 1169 posts
    May 18, 2018 5:58 AM PDT

We've seen some of the abilities in game already so it wasn't too suprising to me. I think it's neat about building up Chakra as their unique ability. I like how their abilities are tied into that power rather than just being on a timer.

It seems like most abilities have a unique purpose. Elbow Strike and Flurry Punch I hope each have their own purchase. I suppose the reason I'm sensative to this is that in EQ, Monks had several different types of attacks that really did nothing different from one another, you just used Flying Kick all the time.

• 714 posts
    May 18, 2018 6:58 AM PDT

The chakra system sounds like fun but I've never been one for direct resource sacrifice systems like that which lock you out of basically everything for a while to use one ability.

I thought mountain pose sounded a little wonky, not really a pose you'd normally want to perform in the middle of a fight=)

Still though, stancing is a fun mechanic and it would be interesting to see several different ones like horse stance, and maybe even full lotus meditation inbetween battles to build up some chakra. 

• 38 posts
    May 18, 2018 7:48 AM PDT

Seems like the monk could be a viable soloing class. Quite a few self healing abilities going on there.

• 259 posts
    May 18, 2018 9:21 PM PDT

I thought the monk reveal was great overall. I really like the chakra system and some of the inventive strikes and poses. I'd be curious to learn if they have any utility abilities other than Feign Death. If not, I'm sure they'll still be a blast in combat.

• 367 posts
    May 19, 2018 2:36 AM PDT

I think they are definately going down the right path.   taping Iron, stone, fire and wind elements and then shifting to the emotional energy of Sorrow and Joy.  Using Sorrow as a health drain Resonanting Palm.  Joy for health regen and speed.

It will be exciting to see what the Monk unique abilities will be gained from the preception system.  Will there be a form of meditation?  It would be awsome to be able to pick a interresting POI in the world, meditate and gain some type of benifit through the perception system.

Will killing 500 poisonious creatures and meditating in the moutains unlock higher forms of "Mountain Pose"?  Stuff like that would be cool.

Will filling the gate of "Joy" empty the gate of "Sorrow"?  

Will Scar be better Sorrow?  Will Archai stronger agaist poison?

Looks like the Monk will be fun to play.

• 613 posts
    May 19, 2018 9:01 AM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

The chakra system sounds like fun but I've never been one for direct resource sacrifice systems like that which lock you out of basically everything for a while to use one ability.

From the Reveal: "Some of the Monk's abilities will have a Chakra cost in order to be performed. Others will require a certain Chakra gate to be open and when used will expend all of the Chakra it has taken to open that Chakra gate."

The way they word this, it basically means that the whole 'Gate' thing is just flavor and everything simply has a set Chakra cost. Let me explain:

You unlock gates as your Chakra bar fills. "resource bar that fills left to right, 0 to 100" Assuming it costs equal amounts for each gate, you unlock each gate at ~16.66 Chakra intervals.

• Gate 1 = 16.66
    • Gate 2 = 33.32
    • Gate 3 = 49.98
    • Gate 4 = 66.64
    • Gate 5 = 83.30
    • Gate 6 = 99.96

So let's say your Special Epic Punch of Doom needs gate 3 to be open and when it is used it drains "all of the Chakra it has taken to open that Chakra gate". Gate 3 opens at basically 50 Chakra. This means that Epic Punch of Doom will drain 50 Chakra.

If your Chakra was at 100, this leaves you with 50 and your first 3 gates will remain open, thus you could technically use Epic Punch of Doom instantly again (assuming it doesn't also have a cooldown). BUT if your at only 55 Chakra when you use this ability you are dropped down to 5 thus closing all your gates.

So basically you don't really need to pay any attention to which Gate names are open. All you need to know is how much each of these abilities will drain your Chakra, which you will know by which Gate it requires. So you basically just memorize each of those 6 Chakra costs and which spells have which cost. The Gate of Anger, Peace, Sorrow, Joy, Balance and Release are all just flavour text.

On to another point:

I also thought I would note that Harmonious Bond (self heal, similar to Mend from EQ) also requires Chakra (Gate of Joy). This is worrisome because it means that you need to build up Chakra in order to use it.

Back in EQ days the most common time I used Mend was while pulling since I could not allow the Healer in my party to try and heal me since this would transfer agro over to him/her and the mobs might not be split correctly yet. When back at the fight, I usually didn't waste Mend since the Healer could keep me up safely and I would likely need Mend to be off cooldown when I went back out to pull. In other words, Mend was a pulling tool, not a fighting tool.

So in Pantheon it would not be adventageous to go out to Pull without building up some Chakra first. So does this mean I might have to /duel somebody in my party so I can charge up my Chakra bar in between each pull? Or I guess I can horde my Chakra near the end of each fight (not use any abilities) so that when the fight is finished I will still have Chakra for when I'm out pulling the next mob.

And what if they add Chakra decay while not in combat? So if I take too long splitting the mobs on a pull, I run out of Chakra and can't heal myself... as I said, very worrisome.

Edit: I just thought about using Inner Fountain: Through intense concentration and strength of will, you completely fill your Chakra pool, opening all 6 gates. Depending on the cooldown of this ability, it may be useful while pulling to instantly give yourself enough Chakra to use Harmonious Bond. In EQ Mend was on a 6 min cooldown iirc, so as long as Inner Fountain is on a similar cooldown to 6 min it might be fine.

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at May 19, 2018 9:12 AM PDT
    • 1202 posts
    May 20, 2018 9:13 AM PDT

I will have to experience the chakra system and how fast the gates fill or unfill. If you are on mobs in a group that die quickly you will not have access to half your abilities if these gates fill off combat time per mob or if chakras remain filled/open even after combat fades.

It also seems like it will be overly teadious to manage these gates etc. 

Also for chain-pulling groups where the monk isn't fighting for the full duration but running off to get more mobs. How do we fill chakra in that case?

Gates almost make more sense as a passive skill/quest type system as a precursior to getting new abilities.

Monks by definatition have conditioned their bodies as a weapon so each ability should use a form of stamina/ki/chi to perform, the chakra gates should dictate what abilites the monk has access to not by filling one by combat but by training and research, i.e quests and seeking out the trainers in the world.

A different approach could be that skills could use stamina to perform but bonus damage can be applied by the chakra levels or the filling of ki by fighting or even meditating, something but I'm not sure the system now sounds fun.

I'll have to see how it works in game but on paper I don't think I like it.

This post was edited by Aich at May 20, 2018 9:24 AM PDT
    • 19 posts
    May 20, 2018 8:17 PM PDT
    Kick of the Raging Gale

A flying kick that does very high damage to your enemy and knocks them back 1 meter. (Generates Chakra)

So is that going to act as a stun/cast interrupt or just a knockback?

Kata of the Wandering Wind

You align your attacks with the flow of your Chakra, dramatically increasing your chance to Dodge and counter-attacking every melee attack that does damage to you.

That is the only defensive/healing ability not tied to Chakra.

For the most part I love the direction they are taking the class. It looks like off-tank is really going to be viable but the abilities overall for it seem to have gaps. Pretty much all the tank/heal stuff is tied to Chakra which may not be a bad thing but starts of fights could be extremely rough. Depending if the knockback acts as a stun or not the one we get also stuns us for 3 seconds and takes a full Chakra bar, not ideal. What if you are trying to go full DPS mode there aren't many good Chakra abilities for that which is a bit dissappointing. I know these are not 100% complete ability lists and things will get tweaked to so there could be holes already filled just because of that. Cooldowns and how some long abilities actually last will effect how this all works also.

I do like having to build up the Chakra to be able to use abilities, it makes them matter more and takes away just spamming all your moves at once. Making sure the system works and is balanced may be tricky but i can't wait to have to try to plan rotations only for crap to hit the fan. Having to scramble and use all your abilities at your disposal always lead to the most fun and epic fights. I hope there ends up being more moves that use Chakra so we can have more variety on rotations and difference in playstyle. The limited ability bar should stop anything from getting too OP and the fact that the abilities will use x amount of Chakra will prevent ability spam.

The Ranger's Momentum when built up increases their attack speed, will our Chakra do something similar, maybe just a base damage increase? I don't see anything mentioned so I am wondering if that was just something else they held back for now. How fast will be bar fill, will the first gate or two open up quicker and then slow down? Is their decay when out of combat, how does the decay work? So many questions that we will need answered to really see how it all works. How does or will Endurance/Mana effect the Monk at all? The Monk needs to be a viable DPS option, being able to off-tank is great for grouping but on raids I doubt that will get used much even though I loved to tank whenever I could in EQ lol. If there are not enough abilities that can be utilized for DPS then I feel Monks will be at a big disadvantage. I have a feeling there are more DPS abilities tied to Chakra they didn't share but to have a true DPS build there should be an ability at most gates.

As far as utility goes we don't get much compared to the other reveals as far as I can tell. We get a knockback and a kick that slows casting speed. There is a hate reducer and a short term taunt. We get a 3 second stun of mob and self, and then of course there is FD but other than that we get nothing. I guess being off-tank also will naturally take away from some abilities from the utility aspect but it looks like Rogue and Ranger both get some kind of distraction ability that could be great for pulling and we don't? Hopefully we get a bit more in the way of utility. I guess the Chakra builder Inner Fountain fits here, what is cooldown/activation time on that?

One thing I do like is also the weapon/armor description for the Monk, can't wait to see the speciality stuff that we will get for the Martial Armor and Weaponry. Hopefully shurikens will be more useful than just tagging a mob too, maybe a special Chakra ability tied to it would be neat. Either special shuriken to blind the enemy or a rapid fire dps mode just for a couple ideas. I liked the idea of the weight limit for Monks in EQ but it had its issues. It was very hard to stay under just with your base equipment and a couple bags for food/water and some items/bandages. This made looting as a Monk a nightmare usually unless you didn't care about the huge AC loss you would endure. I wouldn't mind them having something like this in the game but at least restrict it to worn equipment so we can at least loot without having to worry about our weight.

I hope we can save a couple different ability bar setups to easily switch between pull/tank/dps builds you like. Equipment loadouts are a great qol thing also that can just make the game so much easier. I think these need to be restricted to being out of combat for sure but no reason to not have them in there otherwise. Think that is all I can think off for now, probably been ranting on for long enough anyway lol. I just can't wait to see these guys in action now along with the other classes once they are all revealed.

• 367 posts
    May 21, 2018 6:40 AM PDT

It's all great infomation.  I personally do not want to watch a chakra bar go up and wait for a button to go active.  Then you just lock in on combo pattern and get bored.  Is that fun?

I want "some" chakra skills to be "charged and ready" through your meditation practice and through martial training, because thats what a Monk does.  Monks observe the world around them, meditate and train to adapt to the world around them.  They find their path of least resistance. "The Dao" or "The Way".

To build through a liner chakra tree via combat would be torture. (you can still keep all the base skills) If the monk could learn an energy path through a Chakra system to try to come to a particular result, that would be awesome  Where you can discover an energy path through your chakras for a more powerful or sustained effect would be better.  Have the monk meditate where you choose a chi energy path through your meridians, vassels and charkras, before the fight.  Your prepare before the fight via meditation and "The Form" you are currently practicing.  Select your chi flow pattern through the chakas.  Fight and observe the results, learn new and better flow patterns to improve the next time via meditation and forms.  This would fit nicely into the preception system as well.  I think this would be more organic and be more like a real monk.  It can be like an internal crafting system, no 2 monks alike.

Monk should have long term stratagy where they can hone their skills through the use of inner-alchemy. Perhaps build a resistance to charm spells as a long term stratagy. Or, If you plan to focus on a journey into a artic dungeon, a monk could begin training his cold resistances days before venturing off into that climate.  Same thing with an area contain poisonous creatures.

This post was edited by Caine at May 21, 2018 7:24 AM PDT
    • 367 posts
    May 21, 2018 7:50 AM PDT

It's probally too late to look at the monk another way.  The left to right charka bar is a compromised solution because they did not find a better solution. I hope it works out.  

This post was edited by Caine at May 21, 2018 7:51 AM PDT
    • 295 posts
    May 21, 2018 2:53 PM PDT

I'm not quite sold on the additional tanking abilities. Monks already have 2 assigned jobs - pulling and dps. There are 3 tank classes ... now 3.5? And to "balance the class" are they going to nerf the dps? I hope not. Monk style CC and dps is plenty. Don't need the grumpy tanks to get all uppity :p

• 2872 posts
    May 21, 2018 3:07 PM PDT

They aren't nerfing their DPS, Monk will have parity with both Rogue and Ranger for melee DPS. They are primarily DPS with some off-tanking as a secondary focus, but they can't/aren't intended to replace or come very close to standing next to an actual tank. 

• 771 posts
    May 21, 2018 8:58 PM PDT
    After re-reading the descriptions and reading these posts i now just have to wait and see how these resources are implemented. Hrmmmmm
    • 289 posts
    May 22, 2018 2:06 PM PDT

I like what is going on with the monks I just hope that the Devs/Powers that be don't decide to make some kind of ability that specifically targets blocking Chakra Gates or the building of Chakra.  If they do that is going to take on an entirely new gameplay aspect ...

• 675 posts
    May 22, 2018 2:28 PM PDT

Reminds me a good bit of the disciple in VG...liked the style of fighting with a build up resource (jin there) and it worked very well!

• 1202 posts
    May 22, 2018 2:54 PM PDT

Sarim said:

Reminds me a good bit of the disciple in VG...liked the style of fighting with a build up resource (jin there) and it worked very well!

Dont work well for a build up resource when the monk pulling cant ever build it up do to pulling, either time FD during fight to prevent a train(tank tags a split and I cant stand up yet) or they are chain pulling. Seems like a spin off the ranger momentium and may not have fully played a monk in EQ before and understands how pulling is done. This should actually be done backwards as they start out with max ki and work down as the fight progresses just like dragon ball characters. I will be testing monk in Alpha and I will  guarentee I wont like a built up type skill resurce/ skillout lock.

Not to mention chakras are a relgious buddist term and isnt very unique. I perfer ki,chi a generic term for inner spirt or power. I think we can come up with something more Pantheon lore focused.

Take the chakras and make then uniqiue to pantheon for example. Fist, Feet, Body, Spirit and Mind. Master then all then a Monk is one with the body and mind. Sounds way better then chakraks gates. Have a class quest for each training and that alone opens up new skills. New monks will train fists first, the depending on what skills they go searching for feet or body, dps or tanking. Because thats is what we will be doing si searching for skills not hitting up a trainer in town. Allows lots of room for exploration etc. Spirit is extra ki energy damage, magic damage or ability to hit certain special in the world whereas mind is damage reduction being physical or enviromental and magical resists. Mind over body. Lots of ways to expand vs chakra gates. 

A new monk could focus on tanking skills first and lack dps or go searching for dps skills first and not be that good at tanking.Once all are mastered the balance tanking and dps will be mastered. Mastered being the 5th state of Mastering Self which can turn more dps or more tanking depening on the sistutation.

Which in buddist tradition requires meditation. Monks on this system should be medtitating and not fighting to build chakra energy. Go back to this being backwards.

Quote from Bruce Lee,

"To me, the extraordinary aspect of martial arts lies in its simplicity. The easy way is also the right way, and martial arts is nothing at all special; the closer to the true way of martial arts, the less wastage of expression there is." - Bruce Lee

I bold two items. Simplicity as in the monk dont need fancy skill lockouts and gates to open as we already have to find out how to split pull and not kill our group. We are most often the front line.

"the less wastage of expression there is" refers to what I said above. Monks are alreay so complex they don;t need a complex way to use skills as the role of pulling, aggro mangement, tanking and dps is quite fullfilling and challenging itself. 

Chakras really only make sense if we are only DPS and don't pull. The chakra idea is ok starting pint but I think monks can be much simplier and at the same time be much better.

I'm passionate about monks as I have played them all through EQ. Group, solo and raid. Also with gear corpse runs, who don't want FD :)

This post was edited by Aich at May 22, 2018 3:21 PM PDT
    • 22 posts
    May 22, 2018 4:25 PM PDT

Zeem said:

Sarim said:

Dont work well for a build up resource when the monk pulling cant ever build it up do to pulling, either time FD during fight to prevent a train(tank tags a split and I cant stand up yet) or they are chain pulling. Seems like a spin off the ranger momentium and may not have fully played a monk in EQ before and understands how pulling is done. This should actually be done backwards as they start out with max ki and work down as the fight progresses just like dragon ball characters. I will be testing monk in Alpha and I will  guarentee I wont like a built up type skill resurce/ skillout lock.

Not to mention chakras are a relgious buddist term and isnt very unique. I perfer ki,chi a generic term for inner spirt or power. I think we can come up with something more Pantheon lore focused.

Take the chakras and make then uniqiue to pantheon for example. Fist, Feet, Body, Spirit and Mind. Master then all then a Monk is one with the body and mind. Sounds way better then chakraks gates. Have a class quest for each training and that alone opens up new skills. New monks will train fists first, the depending on what skills they go searching for feet or body, dps or tanking. Because thats is what we will be doing si searching for skills not hitting up a trainer in town. Allows lots of room for exploration etc. Spirit is extra ki energy damage, magic damage or ability to hit certain special in the world whereas mind is damage reduction being physical or enviromental and magical resists. Mind over body. Lots of ways to expand vs chakra gates. 

A new monk could focus on tanking skills first and lack dps or go searching for dps skills first and not be that good at tanking.Once all are mastered the balance tanking and dps will be mastered. Mastered being the 5th state of Mastering Self which can turn more dps or more tanking depening on the sistutation.

Which in buddist tradition requires meditation. Monks on this system should be medtitating and not fighting to build chakra energy. Go back to this being backwards.

Quote from Bruce Lee,

"To me, the extraordinary aspect of martial arts lies in its simplicity. The easy way is also the right way, and martial arts is nothing at all special; the closer to the true way of martial arts, the less wastage of expression there is." - Bruce Lee

I bold two items. Simplicity as in the monk dont need fancy skill lockouts and gates to open as we already have to find out how to split pull and not kill our group. We are most often the front line.

"the less wastage of expression there is" refers to what I said above. Monks are alreay so complex they don;t need a complex way to use skills as the role of pulling, aggro mangement, tanking and dps is quite fullfilling and challenging itself. 

Chakras really only make sense if we are only DPS and don't pull. The chakra idea is ok starting pint but I think monks can be much simplier and at the same time be much better.

I'm passionate about monks as I have played them all through EQ. Group, solo and raid. Also with gear corpse runs, who don't want FD :)

I don't really agree here. I think chakra is an excellent resource for the monk and makes sense from a technical standpoint and a thematic one as well. You are basically saying that a monk won't be able to build up enough chakra to be effective at doing damage because they are too busy pulling but I don't see that. Its not like after you pull a mob you just stand there and do nothing. You gain it by dealing damage, which is what you do right after you pull. The real question should be is how fast does chakra deplete (or generate if it doesn't deplete automatically) If it does deplete then it should be at a fairly slow rate in my opinion which would cause those problems you mentioned to not be a thing. 

As for chakra being a "religious Buddhist term", both ki and chi are terms derived from Buddhism as well. It really just depends on what part of the world you live in as to what its called. Ki is Japanese, chi is Chinese, and chakra is Indian. They all mean the same thing essentially (spiritual power in the human body). I don't know anyone who would actually be offended by those terms. I mean, chakra was used as a source of the mystic arts in the Dr. Strange movie but you don't see anyone complaining about that. If anyone is offended then here is a very simple solution: don't play the class :). 

The idea you proposed doesn't seem very feasible and would be very counter-productive. By having to train every part of the body, that would take up so much time. Time that I could be spending doing dungeons, perceptions, or raids. With the chakra resource and abilities, you have everything there. You still need to go out and explore the world, find trainers, and learn new abilities. What you suggested would add way to much to that than what's necessary and would give a lot of people headaches. I also personally do not think that monks should be good at tanking whatsoever. They should only just have enough tanking abilities to help certain situations (like if the main tank dies or if there are too many creeps on your group). Simple is better. Your idea is not simple though, its complicated lol. 

Hopefully this doesn't sound like a rant, just providing my two cents on the matter :)

PS to VR: Thank you for not only including the monk (my favorite fantasy archetype) but really taking your time with the design and feel of the class. I think you guys are spot on! Can't wait to see the final product :)

• 1202 posts
    May 22, 2018 4:33 PM PDT

drewber2814 said:

Zeem said:

Sarim said:

Quote from Bruce Lee,

I don't really agree here. I think chakra is an excellent resource for the monk and makes sense from a technical standpoint and a thematic one as well. You are basically saying that a monk won't be able to build up enough chakra to be effective at doing damage because they are too busy pulling but I don't see that. Its not like after you pull a mob you just stand there and do nothing. You gain it by dealing damage, which is what you do right after you pull. The real question should be is how fast does chakra deplete (or generate if it doesn't deplete automatically) If it does deplete then it should be at a fairly slow rate in my opinion which would cause those problems you mentioned to not be a thing. 

As for chakra being a "religious Buddhist term", both ki and chi are terms derived from Buddhism as well. It really just depends on what part of the world you live in as to what its called. Ki is Japanese, chi is Chinese, and chakra is Indian. They all mean the same thing essentially (spiritual power in the human body). I don't know anyone who would actually be offended by those terms. I mean, chakra was used as a source of the mystic arts in the Dr. Strange movie but you don't see anyone complaining about that. If anyone is offended then here is a very simple solution: don't play the class :). 

The idea you proposed doesn't seem very feasible and would be very counter-productive. By having to train every part of the body, that would take up so much time. Time that I could be spending doing dungeons, perceptions, or raids. With the chakra resource and abilities, you have everything there. You still need to go out and explore the world, find trainers, and learn new abilities. What you suggested would add way to much to that than what's necessary and would give a lot of people headaches. I also personally do not think that monks should be good at tanking whatsoever. They should only just have enough tanking abilities to help certain situations (like if the main tank dies or if there are too many creeps on your group). Simple is better. Your idea is not simple though, its complicated lol. 

Hopefully this doesn't sound like a rant, just providing my two cents on the matter :)

PS to VR: Thank you for not only including the monk (my favorite fantasy archetype) but really taking your time with the design and feel of the class. I think you guys are spot on! Can't wait to see the final product :)

Thanks for feedback and I totally disagree. Training each part fo the body was mearing a methephor for seeking out each trainers in the world for each part. Was an example no something fleshed out.

Have you ever playted a EQ monk? seems like you havent because on chain pulling the monk can spend in certain instances a few seconds hitting the mob for faction then off they go pulling. Example lower guk in eq. Long pull times and groups who deal decent damage will kill mobs fast leaving no time to build up gates to use certain skills.

This post was edited by Aich at May 22, 2018 4:34 PM PDT
    • 89 posts
    May 22, 2018 6:01 PM PDT

This isn't EQ. I'm actually happy with what was done. It'll require learning NEW exciting stratigies without taking away from what the core mechanics of a monk should be!

• 367 posts
    May 23, 2018 5:16 AM PDT

eldrun said:

This isn't EQ. I'm actually happy with what was done. It'll require learning NEW exciting stratigies without taking away from what the core mechanics of a monk should be!

Personally I don't have an attachment to EQ Monk.  I never played the class back then.  In my opinion the monk begins with inner alchemy and not really generating chi through striking.  I rogue without a something to steal is the same as a monk who can't practice internally.  Or the EQ2 enchanter who could not fool an NDC with an enchantment.  I will wait for open beta before judging the monk, but I still like to provide feedback on what I believe on how a monk should work.

Charkras are just a small element of a bigger picture when it comes to inner energy cultivation.  In the real world there is so much that goes into Qi Gong and all the forms of internal Martial Arts.  The Chakra system seems simplistic and lacks depth at first glance.