Forums » The Dire Lord

Is Dire Lord a Shadow Knight or a Necromancer?

• 17 posts
    May 17, 2018 1:44 PM PDT

Ok, so the one sentence description of the Dire Lord in the Classes sectoin of the website does not make it clear.  Is the Dire Lord a tank like a Shadow Knight or a caster like a Necromancer?

Personally, I am hoping it is a Shadow Knight because that's my favorite class to play in Everquest.

• 718 posts
    May 17, 2018 2:04 PM PDT

Pharonethegnome said:

Is the Dire Lord a tank like a Shadow Knight or a caster like a Necromancer?

Tank.

• 1816 posts
    May 17, 2018 2:55 PM PDT

The DireLord has been described as a bloodletter tank, making it closer to the shadowknight, but yet different in concept, visual and spells.

• 4377 posts
    May 18, 2018 2:52 AM PDT

It is a tank, but it is not a Shadow Knight. It is its own design separate from the traditional Warrior/Necromancer hybrid. As Mauv said, the DL primarily focuses on spilling as much blood as possible via edged weaponry. Tbh, imo, it sounds even more interesting than a typical SK. Check out my interview with Chris Perkins for more info: https://youtu.be/4vebn1AN6KY

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 18, 2018 2:54 AM PDT
    • 69 posts
    May 18, 2018 4:47 AM PDT

More like a Vanguard Dread Lord, but still different :)

But as others said, it is a tank, so in that way, yes, more an SK than a Necro

• 70 posts
    May 19, 2018 10:24 AM PDT

As stated the quick answer is that the DL is a tank.

Based on this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vebn1AN6KY&feature=youtu.be time stamp 16:47 

Manipulating blood seems pinnacle to the DL's gameplay.  So while both EQ's SK and VG's DK had necrotic themes throughout both class designs (EQ more so) I am thinking (guessing) that Pantheon's Dread Lord will actually draw more of its heritage from VG's Bloodmage vs. Necromancer. 

This post was edited by xaices at May 19, 2018 11:21 AM PDT
    • 4 posts
    June 13, 2018 8:31 PM PDT
    It is a berserker.
    • 472 posts
    June 14, 2018 8:48 PM PDT

I second the berserker comment.

• 415 posts
    June 14, 2018 11:21 PM PDT
    It's a dark-ass magic vampire badass berserker, you mean.
    • 1816 posts
    June 14, 2018 11:36 PM PDT

Is that the dual weapon usage, the chainmail usage or Abyssal strike's description that makes you thinking about the berserker ?

I mean, despite thoses points beeing similar to berserker's (and also rogues and rangers), the whole design of the class include a lot of magic, fear inducing magic, and reverse curses.

However, I see no flurries, no rage of some sort, which doesn't really fit the berserker's idea.

• 4 posts
    June 15, 2018 10:42 AM PDT
    Yes, those three similarities, and they do have a rage bar...so your only difference is flurries.