Forums » The Enchanter

Enchanter on the stream

• 24 posts
    March 19, 2018 9:50 AM PDT

I, like many of you I am sure, watched the stream (or video) with great curiosity about the enchanter and how it was going to look like in gameplay.

One of the things that I took away was that it seems like it is going to be a more active play style. The idea that our mana regen appears to come not from a buff, but from an active attack seems like it is going to require a balancing act of sorts. I enjoy the thought of such a challenge.  However, watching the stream, it raised some questions.  What are your thoughts on what you saw?

It seemed like the mez was very short. I understand that they were only level 14, but didn't it seem like each mez lasted a few seconds. Not a problem if that is all that needs to be done, but if the rest of the party is going to run OoM if you aren't casting your "mana drain" that will get tricky quickly.

It also made me wonder if the "mana drain" was the only mana regen spell. If so, that is going to be a bummer for other classes. No clarity type buffs without a party enchanter. No issue for us. We will always have an enchanter in our parties. This would make enchanter/healer a neccessity to get anything done.

I wonder how much the party seeming to push into areas that they didn't belong affected how each party appeared in mechanics. Well just us really, as the tank tanks, the healer heals, and dps dps'. Not to say what they do isn't important, but I am unsure how much they do changes based upon difficulty other than focus strategy.

Criimson

Gnome Enchanter

• 60 posts
    March 19, 2018 10:01 AM PDT

I greatly enjoyed playing an enchanter in EQ. I'm not saying the gamplay experience needs to be replicated per se, but I think the core of it should be. I really hope that the enchanter isn't just a low damage nuking class that provides mana ONLY in that way. As you said, it seemed she either had to choose to mezz or nuke. I think some balance between the two is ok, but it mostly seemed like she had to nuke to keep the mana going and if I wanted to just nuke, I'd play a wizard instead.

I'm thinking it was more just a product of their level and the abilities/spells at that level, they were only level 14. Enchanters didn't get Breeze until level 16 I believe and that wasn't even in game originally at Classic, it was added later. I think they got Clarity at level 29. So hopefully it's more just a case of the level they were at.

• 266 posts
    March 19, 2018 10:50 AM PDT

Everything Mandalorian2K said.

Standard disclaimer: it's pre-alpha and the stream featured a low-level Enchanter.

That said, It'd be a shame if the enchanter played like a wizard with mez and mana regen.  As the devs continue to develop the Enchanter, I'd encourage them to design the class to primarily contribute damage indirectly rather than directly.  Example: haste, charm, mana-regen, and pet in lieu of nukes.  I think you need a gameplay loop to keep the enchanter busy during a single-pull fight - not just between them - but I'd rather not see that be based on nukes.

• 24 posts
    March 19, 2018 11:07 AM PDT

I hope that the mana "nuke" doesn't do any damage. At least that way we could "nuke" our mezzed target for the mana without fear of breaking our mez. At least that way we wouldn't be forced to switch targets more often than was neccessary.

EDIT: And breeze came out with RoK (iirc). My enchanter was already 50 at that point though so I might be mistaken. I agree with the sentiment though. I also don't want to play a wizard. Having a more active roll to top mana off in the slower fights is not something I would frown upon though. Would keep the pace going.

This post was edited by Criimson at March 19, 2018 11:09 AM PDT
    • 2954 posts
    March 19, 2018 1:43 PM PDT

I loved the approach in the stream. I imagine that enchanter might also have a supplementary "clarity" spell (even if it ends up to only work outside of combat) but the quicker bursts of mana in combat will come from the nuke. 

I think the mez issue was mostly because they were getting way too many adds due to bugs/broken aggro. In a normal grouping experience I doubt it would take near as much time/mana/effort for mez and there would be far fewer adds. It also seemed to break fast due to poor target communication & being lower level than they should have been for the mobs. 

• 157 posts
    March 22, 2018 12:57 PM PDT

They haven't made an /assist macro available yet. That would contribute heavily to why mezzes were getting broken. Having no /assist would drive me nuts as an Enchanter.

• 1964 posts
    March 22, 2018 6:14 PM PDT

Criimson said:The idea that our mana regen appears to come not from a buff, but from an active attack seems like it is going to require a balancing act of sorts. I enjoy the thought of such a challenge.

Criimson

Gnome Enchanter

There were more standard mana regen buffs in previous streams.

• 19 posts
    March 30, 2018 11:32 AM PDT

I loved the stream, and I love this approach to MMO design.  So I'm pscyhed.

I have to say, I did not love the enchanter play style in that stream.  It looked like she had issues keeping even two mobs locked, and that there were lots of resists and trouble keeping anything down for long.  Granted, I realize they were level 14, there is no /assist, and I also realize this class is not intended to be a duplicate of the EQ enchanter class (who, admittedly, with any skill at all, could triviliaze a lot of the content across a large portion of that game).  

Being a somehwat ineffective CCer and mana battery at low levels as fine, as long as it improves later.

• 157 posts
    March 30, 2018 12:45 PM PDT

Might be that there's no Clarity line of spells at that level, forcing the Enchanter to use his/her mana nuke to feed mana to the healer.

• 15 posts
    March 30, 2018 1:45 PM PDT

I thought during the stream the nuking to feed mana felt fairly mod-rod-ish.  "Your job is to feed mana to the more important people."  I think its more interesting gameplay to play mez whack-a-mole and the group fights one mob at a time.  Plus, doesn't the bard get that playstyle, singing the mana regen song?  Finally, the enchanter player should have spoke up more when mez was being broken.  Name names.  Maybe you don't want to call out your boss, but I think it would have made for a hilarious stream if Aradune was the one always breaking mez and he got called out on it.

Anyways, I realize its pre-alpha and they were low level fighting high blues and whites.  I'm trying to think back of what my enchanter brought to the table level 10-16 in Crushbone.  I vaguely remember mez being very risky, charm being super duper risky, and the pet being uncontrolable.  I think it wasn't until a lot later (or until you had Breeze or Clarity) that an enchanter became "worth it" to have in a group over a wizard or mage.  Of course, people grouped with them anyways, because level 12 enchanters became level 50 enchanters one day.

This post was edited by Boildown at March 30, 2018 1:45 PM PDT
    • 461 posts
    April 1, 2018 11:01 PM PDT

Interestingly enough, when EQ was in Beta, Enchanters didn't have Clarity. It was originally something from the Bard song. It wasn't until it was a requested feature the Devs added it as a level 29 spell. I'd like to see a similar dynamic to the class with regard to buffs and debuffs along with CC. I can understand the shorter CC times but this all depends heavily on a number of factors. One being the number of mobs we would expect in the game through the levels and two, the power of these mobs.

I know as someone who played the class almost entirely in my six years, I trivialized content for PUGs and guild groups. Having a good communication with the tank where a system was understood made it a joke. Pull comes in with 6-8 mobs, I lock them all down using spin mez. Ten seconds later they're all locked. Tash/Slow on primary, then tash slow on each target as I detail to tank which one to take next. Either root or roll the dice on a mem blur on break as tank taunts.

Group memebers said they enjoyed it for grinding reasons, but everything was so controlled and effortless on their part. My guess is it may be the same challenge for us but in a way so it doesn't turn an encounter into a faceroll. We'll see though as the class is fleshed out. Remember, in EQ, the Enchanter was one of the last fully fleshed classes and ended up being one of the best.

This post was edited by Janus at April 1, 2018 11:04 PM PDT