Forums » The Elves

Ashen or Ember

• 3136 posts
    November 29, 2021 10:22 AM PST

Lucent elves aren't a player option, they aren't adventurers and rarely leave Faerthale unless specific need arises. 

• 804 posts
    November 30, 2021 8:50 AM PST

@Iksar This was my assumption as well. I was just responding to Shea's idea that players might be able to choose to stay Lucent. They have implied that you only choose between Ember and Ashen, but they didn't clearly say that you must. So I was conceding the possibility even though I tend to agree with your above statement.

• 530 posts
    December 1, 2021 6:13 AM PST

Iksar said:

Lucent elves aren't a player option, they aren't adventurers and rarely leave Faerthale unless specific need arises. 

Thanks for clearing that up. Wasn't sure if there had been some changes or not.

• 456 posts
    December 2, 2021 6:55 AM PST

Iksar said:

Could you provide a link , where says lucent are not playable ?  

I could have very easily missed any info from Isuulamae or the VR Team . 

First page of this very thread Isuulamae clearly stated that you can stay Lucent ,  granted was in 2018 and things change . 

• 3136 posts
    December 2, 2021 11:01 AM PST

Shea said:

Could you provide a link , where says lucent are not playable ?  

I could have very easily missed any info from Isuulamae or the VR Team . 

First page of this very thread Isuulamae clearly stated that you can stay Lucent ,  granted was in 2018 and things change . 

Istuulamae said elves in general can stay Lucent but I see that as a lore bit for NPC elves not players. 

Everything they have put out from the Elven race page to all the lore is very focused on the two branches of elves. You can go here and read some of the deeper talks about elves to see the *heavy* focus on the two branches. I see it as similar to the Ogre, yes there are seven clans of Ogre but players are limited to being of Broken Maw. And to quote the link above:

We are used to Elves being either High or Wood or Dark, having totally different cultures, living in totally different establishments and having little to do with one another. I like that our Elves dwell together, come from the same stock, but yet have visual and cultural distinctives. And then being able to choose to play as either an Ember or Ashen elf adds a nice layer of depth to player choice and immersion.

• 1991 posts
    December 2, 2021 4:06 PM PST

In addition to the points Iksar refers to, the main Races page of this site - where newcomers go to find out what Races are available - lists the nine races. Every other race is defined singly, i.e. Dwarves are this, Halfings are that. The listing for Elves says:

The Two Branches of Elvenkind seek to shelter their longsuffering people under the brilliance of the Lucent Tree".

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/races/

• 250 posts
    February 3, 2022 7:23 AM PST

I asked in a DRT one time if other races would get this sort of distinction. Particularly Halflings since you have Esqaps, Nothi, and Maidyn. But the answer was no

• 190 posts
    May 28, 2022 4:05 AM PDT

Heya. ^^

Are there visual differences between the Ashen and the Ember elves?

And i read the racial abilities of the Ashen and Ember elves. And ... please do not that! You literary "force" the players to choose the "right" elf race based on their class. I bet, Ember elf shamans will have serious trouble to get into a raid or a group because an Ashen elf shaman is more efficient. Look what happened in WoW Classic. Almost all warrior and rogue players on the Alliance side played a human because of the +5 weapon skill with swords and maces. Even small differences will create a pressure to choose the right race.

Cheers

This post was edited by Larirawiel at May 28, 2022 4:06 AM PDT
    • 804 posts
    May 28, 2022 9:04 AM PDT

Larirawiel said:

Are there visual differences between the Ashen and the Ember elves?

As far as the Lore goes, I would guess that there is no difference visually. They are the same race, just different in their culture / politics.

Larirawiel said:

You literary "force" the players to choose the "right" elf race based on their class.

Since they are the same race... choosing the 'right' one for your class is actually the point. They are basically the only race that let's you pick your Racial's to match your class type.

• 1991 posts
    May 28, 2022 10:58 AM PDT

Larirawiel said: Are there visual differences between the Ashen and the Ember elves?

The name of Ashen Elves comes from their tradition of painting their faces "from elder to infant" with ashes. Assuming that tradition was kept when they came to Terminus, it might have some affect on their skin tones, possibly giving them a much paler look.

Further, the Ember Elves are described as involving themselves in the world and peoples outside of the Elves homeland. Which would suggest that they spend more time traveling and outdoors, which might give them a more tanned appearance. But none of it is guaranteed, so we'll have to wait until we see them to know.

You literary "force" the players to choose the "right" elf race based on their class.

Every race on Terminus gets racial bonuses and the differences between Ashen & Ember is no greater than the difference between Elves and any other race. So what you're arguing is essentially that all those racial bonuses should be abolished, not just the Elven ones.

Joppa has responded directly to the question of a 'meta' in regard to different races. He told us that the racial bonuses are designed specifically to add "flavor" to the different races without giving any race a defining advantage. In addition, VR has stated frequently that they are making sure that every race that can play a given class will be equally able to perform that class's role. And that goal is just as important as making sure that every class can play its role in a group equally well.

This post was edited by Jothany at May 28, 2022 10:59 AM PDT
    • 190 posts
    May 29, 2022 12:53 PM PDT

Jothany said:

Every race on Terminus gets racial bonuses and the differences between Ashen & Ember is no greater than the difference between Elves and any other race. So what you're arguing is essentially that all those racial bonuses should be abolished, not just the Elven ones.

Joppa has responded directly to the question of a 'meta' in regard to different races. He told us that the racial bonuses are designed specifically to add "flavor" to the different races without giving any race a defining advantage. In addition, VR has stated frequently that they are making sure that every race that can play a given class will be equally able to perform that class's role. And that goal is just as important as making sure that every class can play its role in a group equally well.

Hey. :)

I do not want to remove the racial bonusses. :) But i want, that they are roughly equal for every role. So you can choose every race, which is possible and get small bonusses. But i read the description of the Ashen- and Ember elves and see a very clear preference. An Ashen elf will propably be a worse tank or melee dps than an Ember elf. And this is a thing, that should be avoided, IMHO. Becase the community will quickly have a meta. And if you do not fit the meta then you are out. It happened to literary all MMORGs i played.

Cheers

This post was edited by Larirawiel at May 30, 2022 3:33 AM PDT
    • 1991 posts
    May 30, 2022 9:35 PM PDT

Becase the community will quickly have a meta. And if you do not fit the meta then you are out. It happened to literary all MMORGs i played.

I'm sorry that happened to you in games. The truth is that no matter what VR (or any game company) does, there will always be people who think that the only 'right' way to play the game is the way that they play. But it hasn't happened in every game I've played. It certainly isn't all the people in this game. Or even most of us. And those people who think that way will be the ones who miss out, because they will be turning away new friends and skillful players because of a silly and mistaken idea.

Larirawiel said: An Ashen elf will propably be a worse tank or melee dps than an Ember elf.

I'm sorry but that's not accurate. A person who learns how to play their character skillfully will do a better job on an Ember elf - in any class that they can play - than a player on an Ashen Elf who doesn't learn to play their character well. VR has been asked about this plenty of times. The bonuses they are giving all the races just aren't that powerful. Sure VR could do things wrong and fail. If you expect them to, there's not much I can say to change your mind. But they know a lot more about making games than we do. I don't expect them to fail. But either way, all we can do is wait and see.

See ya on Terminus!

This post was edited by Jothany at May 30, 2022 9:36 PM PDT