Forums » Fan Fiction

The Dark Lord's Gift from Tales of Gelfzyn

• 53 posts
    February 15, 2018 3:29 PM PST

The blast threw everyone back into the dirt and withered bushes. "I should just kill you all now and be done with it." Nil'hylyth growled, glaring down at the group scattered before him. The Dark Lord raised his staff before him, but then his demeanor changed. Lowering the staff, he seemed to smile. "No, Ranger of the Kiri, you amuse me with your feeble attempts to stop what is foretold. Now the Elf. He has been annoying by providing you information." Suddenly Sor'gal collapsed to the ground and Nil'hylyth disappeared into a haze of shimmering light.

"Sor'gal, NO!" Mylah cried in disbelief as she ran over and knelt down beside his lifeless body. Wosel, can you not heal him?" she said with pleading eyes.
      "I am sorry Mylah, but no." the druid replied.
      Suddenly Sornir moved in and pushed her away, then laid his massive body across the Elf and closed his eyes.
      "What?" Mylah queried as we all looked on in disbelief. "Sornir, go away. Shoo, shoo." saying as she bent down to push him away, but then suddenly withdrew her hand with a gasp. "His fur. It's as stiff as a bristle bush and cold as a winter's stream."
      I looked closely at the massive black wolf, carefully feeling his fur, and noted "and he's not breathing either." The puzzled faces all around confirmed that no one had ever seen this before.
      "So what do we do now?" Darsyth, the fighter, inquired.
      Wosel now spoke up. "I would suggest that we set up camp here and guard the body and the wolf. The Halnir wolves are still kin to the many mysteries of Terminus and we may be witnessing one right now."
    With no immediate threat in sight, I said the suggestion was sound and we set up camp here to rest before heading back to town.

Darkness, darkness every where. Sor'gal thought. What is this place? Am I truly dead? No sounds, not even...I have no heartbeat, no breath. He fell to his knees in sorrow. This is not how is was said to be, not what he had been taught. He tried to cry, but no tears came. He wailed, but not sound came forth. He collapsed all the way to the ground. Alone.

Sornir appeared in the spirit realm and began his search. His guide had taught him that time is critical when trying to retrieve one who has died suddenly. If he can find Sor'gal's spirit and return it in time, the two-legs may be able to restart the body in the world of nature. It was worth a chance, since the pack of two-legs seemed quite fond of this misfit. Besides, he did have ears somewhat like his, even if fur-less. After a few ever widening circles, he caught sight of a faintly glowing lump and ran to it. Grabbing Sor'gal's wrist in his jaws, he began dragging the form back to the soft point of light where he had entered this realm.

Sor'gal was shocked out of his despair when he realized that he was being dragged across the ground by the wrist. He looked up into the dimly glowing yellow eyes of a great beast, his wrist in it's jaws. He tried to pull away, but the jaws only clamped down harder. He thought that he heard a voice in his head. "Calm down two-legs. We have little time to leave this place and return to your pack." For some reason the voice made sense. He thought "Stop and let me stand up." At that the beast halted, but not letting go of his wrist. Sor'gal stood up and the beast pulled him along towards a barely noticeable point of light on the ground. When they reached the point, a wave of cold swept though him and he lost consciousness again.

Mylah stood with a shock when Sornir opened his eyes just as Sor'gal let out a gasp. "Gelfzyn, Wosel. Come quick. Sor'gal may be alive!" she shouted.
      "Wosel quickly. He has a weak pulse and it's fading." Gelfzyn said with urgency and moved over to inspect Sornir who had moved away from the body.
      The druid intoned a healing spell and Sor'gal's body began to breath slowly and color started to return to his face. Taking up Sor'gal's hand, Mylah said with a smile "Welcome back Sor'gal.".
      "We were lucky." Wosel said. "Seems the wraith lord didn't do any real damage to him, only stopped his heart. I could heal him once his spirit returned."
      "Is that why you couldn't heal him earlier?" Mylah ask with a questioning look.
      "I can not revive the dead Mylah." Looking over at Sornir he added. "If the wolf hadn't brought back his spirit, I could have done nothing."
      All of the party were now looking at Sornir with unanswered questions on their faces.

This post was edited by gelfzin at February 15, 2018 3:30 PM PST
    • 624 posts
    February 17, 2018 5:55 PM PST

Chills and thrills alike. Bravo once more - an excellent read. Who doesn't love a tale of death denied by the quick wits of a wise spirit wolf? I think the Silent Wraith had better up his game !

Kudos, and thank you for sharing.

• 57 posts
    February 21, 2018 7:21 AM PST
    That was an amazing story. I could easily place myself there, and it was a surprisingly emotional ride. My first time in these parts of the forums, you good sir/mam, need to write more of this!