Forums » Fan Creations

Kyridels Pantheon Fan Art

• 56 posts
    January 30, 2018 7:03 PM PST

Context: Sort of an homage to the art styles that really inspired me as a kid and got me started, Larry Elmore & Keith Parkinson. A bit more of a static snapshot rather than the currently popular (and equally amazing) tendency towards extremely dynamic compositions, subtle shifts in value and exaggerated action.

The original concept was actually inspired by one of the streams (Dec 16 w/Cohh) in which they were wiping on the Union Of Shadow mobs - even though I was mentally shouting for some party members to have more spatial awareness they were *still* aggroing more and more...next time I'll say it out loud...to my monitor. In the end though, the final image is vastly different.

Anyway, passing the time until alpha!

This post was edited by Kyridel at February 1, 2018 5:03 PM PST
    • 780 posts
    January 30, 2018 7:26 PM PST

Great work, man.  Can't wait to see the next piece.

• 557 posts
    January 30, 2018 9:20 PM PST

Absolutely stunning!

• 3237 posts
    January 30, 2018 11:49 PM PST

Fantastic job!  Thanks for sharing!  I think I see Celandor off in the distance.  =P

• 56 posts
    January 31, 2018 7:48 AM PST

Thanks all, I really appreciate it.

And yes, I think you're right:

oneADseven said:

Fantastic job!  Thanks for sharing!  I think I see Celandor off in the distance.  =P

I didn't even paint him in, that's 100% photobomb.

• 557 posts
    January 31, 2018 3:51 PM PST

oneADseven said:

Oh, is there something else in the foreground?  I only saw myself.  Like I said, "Absolutely stunning!"

:-)

• 3237 posts
    January 31, 2018 4:14 PM PST

Muahahaha.  Well played good sir.

• 557 posts
    February 1, 2018 3:02 PM PST

OK, time for me to play art critic.

I absolutely love this image and only a small part of it is because of the ruggedly handsome Archai in the distance.

I can just feel the icy wind that's blowing through this scene.  Looking at the blowing snow in the foreground, the way their hair and clothing is whipping in the wind, the slightly down set determined pose of the Archai's head as he tries to make way into the head-on storm, the little details of the snow collecting on the windward side of the foreground branch...    Such great continuity and consistency throughout the image.

There is only one minor thing which troubles me.  The primary light source is behind and to the right (our right) of the ogre.  The highlight on the left side of his face seems to be out of place and almost makes his head look like it was Photoshopped in from another picture.   It was the very first thing which drew my eye the first time I saw the image.  Everywhere else throughout the image, the shading and shadow effects are consistent with the primary shadow of the leg in the foreground.   My brain just can't process that hairline highlight on the left edge of the ogre's head.

Finally, I absolutely love the dragon with his ethereal wings.  He inspires awe and sends a deeper chill through me than the winter wind.

Totally amazing work, Kyridel.

• 186 posts
    February 1, 2018 4:49 PM PST
    Spectacular! What is the medium?
    • 56 posts
    February 1, 2018 5:06 PM PST

Celandor said:

There is only one minor thing which troubles me.  The primary light source is behind and to the right (our right) of the ogre.  The highlight on the left side of his face seems to be out of place and almost makes his head look like it was Photoshopped in from another picture.   

Totally amazing work, Kyridel.

Thanks a bunch, I think you were right. Touched up the original above. One of the reference photos I was working from had a very strong rim light and I don't think I compensated for that very well. I've toned that down. 

Extra eyes are always helpful!

Edit: I really do appreciate constructive feedback like that by the way - anything that helps make the image stronger is super helpful. Thanks again for taking the time.

This post was edited by Kyridel at February 1, 2018 5:20 PM PST
    • 56 posts
    February 1, 2018 5:09 PM PST

VitaKorp3n said: Spectacular! What is the medium?

Thanks, this one's all digital, Photoshop in this case. I think a bit of Corel Painter early on but primarily PS.

• 186 posts
    February 1, 2018 5:35 PM PST
    Very nice :) What tablet do you use? Really want to get one
    • 56 posts
    February 1, 2018 5:55 PM PST

VitaKorp3n said: Very nice :) What tablet do you use? Really want to get one

I'm just using the very basic Intuos at the moment. I travel quite a bit so I have a couple (they're super cheap at around $60-$70). I've had the best longevity with those and (not sure if they exist anymore) a wacom bamboo years ago which probably lasted 6 or 7 years. I splurged once on a very nice Cintiq, but I didn't have nearly the same luck with it as I did with the others and always kind of regretted it, I was probably overly critical though as it was a pretty big purchase. The textures/feel are quite different as well, once I get used to one it's pretty hard to change unless I really need to.

• 186 posts
    February 2, 2018 6:21 AM PST
    Awesome, thank you for taking the time to answer! Have always been a bit hesitant, I had a tablet and it took 20 or so pictures with it into Davey jones when it failed.

Looking forward to seeing more!
    • 557 posts
    February 2, 2018 11:46 AM PST

Kyridel said:

Thanks a bunch, I think you were right. Touched up the original above. One of the reference photos I was working from had a very strong rim light and I don't think I compensated for that very well. I've toned that down. 

Extra eyes are always helpful!

Edit: I really do appreciate constructive feedback like that by the way - anything that helps make the image stronger is super helpful. Thanks again for taking the time.

I literally said "Oh" out loud four times when I saw the update.

Such a wonderful image. I'm sure Keith is smiling, knowing his work influenced such a piece.   I wonder if Brad has seen it?  

Now if you could just delete the two foreground characters and make the Archai bigger...     :-)

This post was edited by Celandor at February 2, 2018 12:13 PM PST
    • 213 posts
    February 2, 2018 12:46 PM PST

Spactacular art, wonderfully painted! Beautiful landscape! WOW! I love it!!  I'm particularly pleased with the way you painted the snow and that guy's flowing robes! It looks like there is very real movement there.  I also love the small little details you painted into the wardrobes.  The highlights and shadows are very nice, especially where the hair is concerned.  I'm really looking forward to seeing some more art from you.  <3

Keep up the awesome work.  Serious kudos!

• 3237 posts
    February 2, 2018 12:51 PM PST

I love seeing members of the community share their talent with the rest of us.  Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to seeing another piece from Gamerchick!  You guys and gals are awesome ... I wish I had that kind of talent!

This post was edited by oneADseven at February 2, 2018 12:52 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    February 8, 2018 1:43 PM PST

Wow this is some of the best Pantheon fan art I've seen. I think this should definitely be the art style VR uses for their box art. Very impressed, I love it.

• 781 posts
    February 8, 2018 4:22 PM PST

Very  nice work indeed :) 

• 23 posts
    February 8, 2018 9:19 PM PST

It lookes awsome. Cant wait to see more.

• 56 posts
    February 8, 2018 10:48 PM PST

Thanks guys, that's super encouraging. Will be posting the next one soon here and would love some feedback.