Forums » The Gnomes

New Gnomes = Clockworks

• 17 posts
    January 16, 2018 10:35 AM PST

It seems people are divided here that the gnew gnomes are gnothing like the gnomes from EQ or other games or the things in your garden.  Either they're glad the goofy little bastards are gone or they are bummed we won't have all the fun making jokes about their hair and so on. 

But it seems like they are small robots with souls in them.  That sounds a lot like clockworks from EQ and EQ2.  So it seems to me that this isn't too far of a step from the original Gnorrathian take on the gnomes  Think of them as ascended gnomes or something if you like.  The backstory sounds pretty cool.  

All that being said, I was hoping to play a goofy little gnome enchanter or summoner in Pantheon.  Based off the 1 or 2 art works so far, I think I'll roll a dwarven enchanter instead since I can't have a big sexy barbarian shaman.  But I just bought Alpha access, so I'll be messing with the races and classes and have some time to figure out what I want to do. I love small races for crowd control though as I like to play in 3rd person instead of 1st so I can see around me better and the little guys tend to help see adds better etc.  

• 655 posts
    January 16, 2018 11:25 AM PST

I used to love the EQ gnomes for many reasons, least of which was Gnomovision - the ability to poke your gnose into a wall and see through it.

I'm of the same mind as you, PC.  I think my enchanter is going to be a dwarf.  I'm leaning that way right now for my main, but it's so early to be picking favourites.

• 1856 posts
    January 16, 2018 12:55 PM PST

To me, Clockworks are the best that could get out of ol' gnomes.

While I would never have played an gnome in EQ1/2, thoses are appealing to me. Lots of possibilities.

• 17 posts
    January 16, 2018 7:33 PM PST

If they have gnome only tinkering again, I'm sold.  My closest friends all had gnome characters and there were a few tinkered items we had a lot of fun with.

• 2161 posts
    January 17, 2018 3:01 AM PST

Seems to me like they made Gnomes that are cool.  A pretty amazing feat.

• 655 posts
    January 17, 2018 4:58 AM PST

PeterCorbin said:

If they have gnome only tinkering again, I'm sold.  My closest friends all had gnome characters and there were a few tinkered items we had a lot of fun with.

I wonder if under Pantheon lore whether tinkering might not be something that the dwarves may have taken up?

The Terminus gnomes seem to be more about magical energies.  They barely have a physical presence.

• 224 posts
    January 17, 2018 9:48 AM PST

Fans are fans. But people gotta understand this game has to differ in some way from others. Can't just have an EQ or WoW replica. That would be a waste of money, because most people could just go play those today!

I love that they are bringing the same races but adding their own style and flavor to them. They even added lore to it so it MAKES SENSE. What's not to like about it?

This post was edited by fancy at January 17, 2018 9:49 AM PST
    • 278 posts
    January 17, 2018 10:03 PM PST

It's been a few years since we debuted the Gnomes, but I still get a kick out of the discussions you all have about them. Aesthetically, they are a significant departure from fantasy norms. You might even say they don't belong in this world, and I think you'd be judging them honestly. They don't belong to this world, not natively at least. They are perhaps the most aware that they are not of this world of all the nine races, and wrestle with that reality just as some of you are.

While I wouldn't classify our Gnomes as tinkers, they are endlessly inquisitive about the arcane and world at large. I've always thought there is a similar soul in Pantheon Gnomes and their fictional predecessors, a quality of looking and learning that is just a bit more consuming than any other race.

Unfortunately for them that virtue became a vice, and what they once were as a people has long since vanished -- externally, at least. Internally they have become more focused and sensitive to their weaknesses, as a community more wholistic and observant. There's a unique societal partnership where the individual is important but not absolute, vital and yet admittedly vulnerable. They aren’t a hive mind or collective, but they are aware of each other in a deep and understated way. This presents a different set of opportunities and challenges for Gnomes, but I suppose it’s another way to set them apart from the rest of the world.

Great thoughts, everyone. Thanks for being so courteous with your perspectives.

- JN

This post was edited by Istuulamae at January 17, 2018 10:06 PM PST
    • 1856 posts
    January 18, 2018 7:03 AM PST

Istuulamae said:

It's been a few years since we debuted the Gnomes, but I still get a kick out of the discussions you all have about them. Aesthetically, they are a significant departure from fantasy norms. You might even say they don't belong in this world, and I think you'd be judging them honestly. They don't belong to this world, not natively at least. They are perhaps the most aware that they are not of this world of all the nine races, and wrestle with that reality just as some of you are.

While I wouldn't classify our Gnomes as tinkers, they are endlessly inquisitive about the arcane and world at large. I've always thought there is a similar soul in Pantheon Gnomes and their fictional predecessors, a quality of looking and learning that is just a bit more consuming than any other race.

Unfortunately for them that virtue became a vice, and what they once were as a people has long since vanished -- externally, at least. Internally they have become more focused and sensitive to their weaknesses, as a community more wholistic and observant. There's a unique societal partnership where the individual is important but not absolute, vital and yet admittedly vulnerable. They aren’t a hive mind or collective, but they are aware of each other in a deep and understated way. This presents a different set of opportunities and challenges for Gnomes, but I suppose it’s another way to set them apart from the rest of the world.

Great thoughts, everyone. Thanks for being so courteous with your perspectives.

- JN

Awesome hints on their lore. Thanks !

• 29 posts
    April 30, 2018 11:36 AM PDT

#Istuulamae I just puked Gnome Alien Theory all over your forums, then after some deeper reading (including the above), realized that much of my concern was incorrectly placed. I had assumed space traveling gnomes in space ships (in current terminus history), and learned that it was actually cosmic level god magic in ancient (beyond ancient) antiquity when the gnomes were relocated via the celestial powers that be. 

I am totally playing a gnome (I think) :) 

• 1856 posts
    April 30, 2018 12:23 PM PDT

Thoses gnomes rules ! Prolly rolling a wizard !

• 3268 posts
    May 6, 2018 5:12 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

Thoses gnomes rules ! Prolly rolling a wizard !

Will definitely play a gnome wizard. :)

• 3268 posts
    May 6, 2018 5:13 PM PDT

PeterCorbin said:

Remembering the rebreather,  came in handy under water or in airless zones. :)