Forums » Fan Fiction

The Loss 3

• 98 posts
    November 24, 2017 2:48 AM PST

“Child, we all are someone.  Let me tell you of a friend. His name was Daevid.” said Bethren, she continued in a low sad voice.
    “He was born to a low station, lost both his parents around his sixth count, he had family around but was not connected to any, no bond.  From my feelings, I would say similar to you in many ways, though you have more counts than he at that time of his life.  He never managed to connect with anyone, always out of step, everything seemed to be just surface, there was no depth to anything.  He had friends, but no one he felt he could just “be” with.  So he travelled, looking for who he was, looking for that missing connection.  It was a hard time, and he did things that he took no pride in, but he survived.  In doing so it hardened him, empathy, understanding, compassion, these became bootless.”  The boy was rapt, fascinated by this beautiful woman who was taking time to talk to him to try and ease his turmoil.  A surge of protectiveness enveloped him, against all odds a stranger cared, she cared.  Then as Bethren continued he noticed the sadness in her eyes
    “There are rumours that he killed, children, women, the helpless, possibly unfounded rumours.” she shrugged, her eyes looking beyond him back into the past, tears forming.
     “Maybe these were tools or stories to aid him in survival, we tend to avoid the ruthless and having a certain reputation in those times would have been helpful. But my feeling is that he actually killed himself, little by little, count by count, lost himself even more while searching for who he was.  Child, you must understand that we are never no one.  Every step forward, every trial we undergo, this makes us who we are. Who you are." she held his gaze.

"My friend was consumed with finding out who he was, it enraged him that people would label his actions, people who had not walked his path for even a moment.  They would judge and condemn, but he was surviving the only way he knew.  He became colder and even harder.  He ran pirates along the coast of Kingsreach, and in that time I don't think there was a crime that was not attributed to him.” tears now ran freely down Bethrens face, she reached out and took the boys hand.
    “Then he met a woman, Aarin.  They wed and had a child, Aaronear.  He finally felt he knew who he was.  What his purpose was. She was the light of his darkness. He loved her so, and dear sweet Aaronear, a child that would light the room with a single giggle.” her gaze drifted away, then focused. 
    “As you can guess, a man cannot live that life and not make enemies.  Daevid returned home one night, the house was in darkness...” Bethren paused, emotions rolling across her beauty.
    “Bethran please, you do not need to go on.” said the boy his heartbreaking, he knew this was important for some reason, but did not want to see this caring woman in such obvious pain, she just squeezed his hand tighter
    “You need to hear this.  He found Aarin, and sweet Aaronear, mutilated and dead.  Worse than dead, their very souls were taken and thrown into the pits of despair.  Daevid's howl of pain and rage is said to have driven nearby people insane, himself included.  For years more he travelled, visiting magic practitioners of all types, from all lands, all religions, looking for a way to release the souls of his beloved family.  Committing acts he himself would have shunned previously.  Each one bringing him further into madness, now he had no love, no notion of tomorrow.  All was for his family, to free them and be with them once more if only a moment no matter the cost.  All else was meaningless, the tunnel he was walking never-ending.  It is said he succeeded,  though he never found the people responsible.  Rumours say he gave his soul to secure their release.  His search for himself it never ended.  It could not end, we are always someone, but never no one.  Do  you see child, all the time he was looking for who he was, he was moulding himself and the people around him,  he was making the very people that would come to destroy him, and as he finally realised this he blamed himself all the more. You are given many things at birth but who you are is something you make.” Bethren closed her eyes and breathed slowly
    “So they never found those responsible?” blurted the boy
    “No, and with all the evil my friend was said to have committed, why would they? Daevid was a hard, cold, violent man searching for something that was always with him. Do you think his journey for identity was worth the price?” her stare questioned him.  The boys face hardened, his eyes blazed, causing Bethren to shiver, and release his hand.

"I hear what you are telling me." As Bethren looked into the boy's eyes she saw a determination and purpose that was not there before.

He rose and walked towards Pygellus.
    “Old Man, I am not no one, I have a name.”
    “And what name would that be child?” said The Old Man.  The boy realised he knew his name now, a name he had chosen, he was not no one and never would another soul tell him he was.
    “I am Daevid. I will avenge my father no matter the price.”
    Pygellus raised an eyebrow and slowly shook his head his face troubled. In a serious tone he said
    "So be it. I name you Daevid. May The Gods guide your path."

• 2886 posts
    November 24, 2017 9:08 AM PST

Wow, keep it up!

• 220 posts
    November 24, 2017 3:26 PM PST

Nice jazznblues. this is a great follow up to you previous scene. Things are getting complicated, but I miss Bantak already 

• 294 posts
    November 25, 2017 9:45 AM PST

Great story Jazz. I'm enjoying every read.

• 624 posts
    November 27, 2017 2:56 PM PST

Once again, thank you for sharing.  I worry for Daevid and the path of vengeance he has chosen, may the gods guide him indeed.  Or possibly Bethren, Bantak, Rake and Pygellus. Tell us more in due time...

• 9115 posts
    November 27, 2017 3:45 PM PST

Great stuff Jazz! :)