Forums » The Halflings

Halflings !

• 1322 posts
    October 13, 2017 10:22 AM PDT

I'm not generally one that is too enthralled by halflngs. I mean, I find them interesting, but never had a desire to play one. But I gotta say I absolutely LOVE what VR is doing here. The concept art and even the rough models look aboslutely outstanding. A real childlike playful personality is so easy to read in them, and they pop to life beautifully. Fantastic job. I might have to try one for the first time! 

They remind me of the image I always had in my mind of Tasslehof Burrfoot in the old Dranglance series by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. I loved that character. 

• 1850 posts
    October 13, 2017 12:00 PM PDT

A good friend of mine has a love bordering on obsession for Dragonlance's kender race. When she saw the write up and concept art for the Halfling, she immediately informed us that her wish had been granted and that she was pledging... And that we should all beware for our valuables :)

• 331 posts
    October 13, 2017 12:07 PM PDT
    Yea, Kender came to mind for me too. Two thumbs up.
    • 3405 posts
    October 13, 2017 12:11 PM PDT

Awesome to hear that Neph.  Make sure you tell her to keep an eye out for hungry ogres ... halflings are looking pretty tasty.

• 818 posts
    October 13, 2017 12:20 PM PDT

Agreed. I see the resemblance to the Kender race as well, but even with that resemblance this is a very fresh take on the idea. 

Like the OP, I've never had a big affinity with the halfling race, but these lil' fellas just may make me change my tone. Very well done, VR team. 

• 3276 posts
    October 13, 2017 12:21 PM PDT

Nephele said:

A good friend of mine has a love bordering on obsession for Dragonlance's kender race. When she saw the write up and concept art for the Halfling, she immediately informed us that her wish had been granted and that she was pledging... And that we should all beware for our valuables :)

Lol good for her,  they are very appealing,  and if they happen to have a couple of tiny bad habits, well I'm sure we can overlook that.   I have never played a halfling, but have a Hobbit or two in Lotro.   This character race is very tempting,  will be adding that to my altoholic's list.  :)

Cana

• 316 posts
    October 13, 2017 12:36 PM PDT

Totally going to be playing a halfling! These are wonderful!

• 503 posts
    October 13, 2017 12:48 PM PDT

I was halfling from day one. Soooooooo glad they turned out to have the Ranger class too!

• 416 posts
    October 13, 2017 12:53 PM PDT

I concur. I never played a halfling/hobbit but I may change my mind.. I might even choose a druid over a cleric! (yes I know halflings don't have clerics)

• 1322 posts
    October 13, 2017 12:57 PM PDT

Durp said:

I concur. I never played a halfling/hobbit but I may change my mind.. I might even choose a druid over a cleric! (yes I know halflings don't have clerics)

You made me go look up the halfling classes. When I got to Warrior my mind instantly showed me a picture of a little feathered halfling swarming all over the head of an Ogre trying to gouge his eyes out :) 

• 194 posts
    October 13, 2017 1:39 PM PDT

I'm right there with you...VR did such a good job on the halflings, I'm just posting this comment hoping they read it and can feel proud of their work and effort. The halflings have had an overwhelmingly positive effect on the community thus far. Thank you and keep up the thorough work 

• 2 posts
    October 13, 2017 2:58 PM PDT

I really liked the concept art on the halfling.  While I still like the current rendition I feel their faces have lost alot of the youthful feeling I loved in the concept.  The girls esp seem more womanly than childlike to me.

• 2975 posts
    October 13, 2017 3:42 PM PDT

They really do look great and the lore is excellent. Personally I can't wait to see how the Skar are shaping up, it's been a long time since I have seen much of any mention or updated artwork/information.

Naida said:

I really liked the concept art on the halfling.  While I still like the current rendition I feel their faces have lost alot of the youthful feeling I loved in the concept.  The girls esp seem more womanly than childlike to me.

Their physical maturity is stunted to a teenage/adolescent state but I imagine time/aging still has an effect on them. I don't know their lifespan but I am picturing a population that looks like a sophmore class in high school, if it were human terms they would look pretty much the exact same until later ages where they start looking like kids with wrinkles and graying hair. Pretty sure the only immortal/unaging halfling is King Olenspeth the III. 

• 2278 posts
    October 13, 2017 4:34 PM PDT

I'm so glad they are not going with the Tolkeinesque vision of Halflings.  A new spin on yet another race for a new game.  It is perfect.

• 9257 posts
    October 13, 2017 4:55 PM PDT

Moved to the Halflings Race subforum to help consolidate the discussions and information on Halflings. :)

• 273 posts
    October 13, 2017 5:10 PM PDT

I do so love the halflings, and the treatment of them has been nothing less than spectacular! Please be sure to congradulate yourselves on a job well done!

• 1217 posts
    October 13, 2017 5:10 PM PDT
    When I read about the changes I immediately thought of the backlash from the community around the changes being made.

The community has surprised me, embracing change!
    • 1261 posts
    October 13, 2017 8:56 PM PDT

The "Gnomes" I still can't get my head arround.

But these Halflings are over the top great. The art, the lore, I've never considered playing a Halfling before but now I'm really looking forward too it.

Well Done!

• 15 posts
    October 14, 2017 12:30 AM PDT

As i saw the October newsletter alert, i first skimmed the art and I instantly started hearing the chanting of Rufio in my head... and after reading it and realized your inspiration came from Hook, i literally did somersaults in my head. The movie Hook has been one of my favorites and im so glad the team has taken this route with the Halflings. the lost boys do embody the Halflings so well. Well done!

Hook - Rufio
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um8mMa5w41A

This post was edited by Riot at October 14, 2017 12:33 AM PDT
    • 23 posts
    October 15, 2017 4:11 AM PDT

For me, I will have to see how it turns out, I am die hard Hairy foot fan and didn't care for the Dragonlance Kender version.

• 655 posts
    October 17, 2017 10:07 AM PDT

Love the new Halflings but am disappointed at their restricted class choices.   Could someone explain to me what bit of lore has blocked them from being clerics?  They seem like the obvious choice for a cleric race given their close affinity to nature.

I have some very sad guildmates who have roleplayed tiny race clerics for many years.  They are starting to panic.

This post was edited by Celandor at October 17, 2017 10:08 AM PDT
    • 11 posts
    October 25, 2017 5:53 PM PDT

Feyshtey said:

The concept art and even the rough models look aboslutely outstanding. A real childlike playful personality is so easy to read in them, and they pop to life beautifully. Fantastic job. I might have to try one for the first time! 

Believe me when I say that the whole team is incredibly relieved to hear you and so many other members of the community feel so strongly towards our take on the Halflings. However, if this streak continues when we reveal the next race, we could have a lot of conflicted players stuck on that character creation screen :)

• 452 posts
    October 25, 2017 11:06 PM PDT

Forrestimel said:

Feyshtey said:

The concept art and even the rough models look aboslutely outstanding. A real childlike playful personality is so easy to read in them, and they pop to life beautifully. Fantastic job. I might have to try one for the first time! 

Believe me when I say that the whole team is incredibly relieved to hear you and so many other members of the community feel so strongly towards our take on the Halflings. However, if this streak continues when we reveal the next race, we could have a lot of conflicted players stuck on that character creation screen :)

I've already changed my mind a few times . Looking forward to next reveal

• 700 posts
    October 26, 2017 3:41 AM PDT

Forrestimel said:

Feyshtey said:

Oh, I really hope this is the case :D

-sorte.

• 63 posts
    November 3, 2017 9:52 PM PDT

I can only second that. I live for that conflict!