Forums » The Dire Lord

Dreadful Countenance

• 138 posts
    May 28, 2017 11:18 AM PDT

Did any other games version of a Dire Lord have this or something similar or was it solely a Vanguard ability? I don't remember the specifics but it was basically an aura of fear that debuffed NPC's (reduced damage output, increased players chance to crit, etc etc).  It had different tiers that increased the debuff.  It wasn't quite what it should have been because of debuff stacking issues, but really liked the idea. 

• 203 posts
    May 28, 2017 5:20 PM PDT

I never played Vanguard, and I might be biased here as I love playing a debuffer, but Dreadful Countenance looks like a brilliant mechanic for a Dire Lord/fear based class.

I've seen similar mechanics in other games, though they have never had the depth of what I have read about DC.

Here's to hoping this, or something very similar, is what our iconic will be!

• 52 posts
    May 30, 2017 4:57 PM PDT

I have not played, or perhaps better worded I do not recall, playing any MMO with an ability that passively debuffs nearby enemies like a Dread Knight's Dreadful Countenance.

It was a fun mechanic for players, but an absolute nightmare for Sigil/SOE developers in regards to mechanics and also to the backend programming. I'd like to see something similar, though perhaps not as powerful.

• 138 posts
    March 19, 2018 7:42 AM PDT

I'd like to see DC that only affected targets that were targetting the Dire Lord. If say, a rogue got overeager and the target changed focus, the effect woulld be broken. This would add another layer to encounters on the high end of the difficulty scale. 

• 38 posts
    March 24, 2018 7:51 AM PDT

DC in Vanguard was good, but at the end a lot of things caused issues where Necromancer and Paladin abilities synergized a lot better causing better damage than what a Dread Knight could provide (Necromancer turn any living mob into undead and Paladin instantly got defensive and damage bonuses against it). While I think it could have gone better for the DK (I switched from Dread Knight to Warrior at the end), Avarem had did a damn good job with the class and it's dynamic in the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNoJbvNcWXk

check that out

• 138 posts
    March 24, 2018 8:33 AM PDT

I played DK in Vanguard til the bitter end, probably geared as well as anyone on the server, and while there was a time when the three tank classes were poorly balanced, Ceythos took a run at balancing them toward the end and I thought after that pass, the three classes were as closely balanced as possible. I'm not a fan of tying classes to one another to a large extent. Sure a couple of abilities here and there and I have no problem Pally being tied to necro, I can see some reasonableness to that, just like tying a Dire Lord to a Shaman would be understandable, but tying them too heavily together seems like a bad idea to me. I'm obviously nostalgic about Vanguard and hope to see some similar theory applied, but also excited to see what new things lie ahead for my beloved class.  Developers note: Please don't screw it up, I'd hate to have to roll a warrior.....