Forums » The Dark Myr

A missing Avatar...

• 16 posts
    May 8, 2017 4:05 PM PDT

Watching the streams to this point, I've realized one tiny thing missing. I have yet to see a Dark Myr. To be fair, I don't recall a Halfling or a Skar either, but this is a bit concerning. To my knowledge, they haven't started building the Dark Myr home city of Syronia's Rest. They still have a long way to go, but they are already building dungeons and showcasing them. Valley of the Watchmen is next to The Broken Maw (Ogars have been seen and look great) as well as Syronia's Rest. I'm not asking to be walked through every city street or square meter in the game, but the Dark Myr are embeded in the lore as a pivital point in the war by eliminating an entire navy of reinforcements. Concept art is great, but a working model would be even better. Maybe showcase the Enchanter on a later stream as a Dark Myr? Just my thought.

• 1694 posts
    May 8, 2017 5:00 PM PDT

I believe before they get to doing the entire world, they are focusing on enough content for people to start testing.  So as new areas open up, they can have testers go there.  This prevents them from coming up with an entire world, getting testers in and realizing there is a flaw deep in their code that requires changes throughout the entire world.

It's an iterative approach, you make the minimum required for testing, having it tested, and build upon that when you're satisfied.  Making enough to test each iteration, then having it tested.

This post was edited by kelenin at May 8, 2017 5:16 PM PDT
    • 4401 posts
    May 8, 2017 8:51 PM PDT

kelenin said:

I believe before they get to doing the entire world, they are focusing on enough content for people to start testing.  So as new areas open up, they can have testers go there.  This prevents them from coming up with an entire world, getting testers in and realizing there is a flaw deep in their code that requires changes throughout the entire world.

It's an iterative approach, you make the minimum required for testing, having it tested, and build upon that when you're satisfied.  Making enough to test each iteration, then having it tested.

Very good explanation. If I remember correctly, they are focusing on the continent of Kingsreach first so that it can be tested thoroughly in Pre-Alpha. And Syronai's Rest is on Reignfall. But that doesn't mean that they haven't even started working on it yet. In fact, I bet they have, but it's probably just foundational. They only show things that are worth showing off. A true artist doesn't like other people to see the very early stages of their work. There's ALWAYS a lot more going on behind the scenes than you're aware of. It's no cause for concern. They will get to it in good time :) Especially as they are hiring new world builders. Same goes for the race models too - just because we haven't seen them doesn't mean they haven't even started yet.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 8, 2017 8:52 PM PDT