Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Provisioning: A difficult craft?

• 63 posts
    April 16, 2017 8:51 AM PDT
    Here are a few things I am thinking for the cooking and ingredient gathering factors for Pantheon and am curious about.

So, with the weather and climate system in place do you think we can expect that certain crops will only grow in certain climates? Or if it hasn't rained in an area for some time, gathering fruits and vegetables may be more difficult?

What if we gather a ton of ingredients and store them, will certain fruits and vegetables be perishable after X amount of time? What about the food we cook, if I make a stew and try to sell a lot of it, then I haven't sold it after 5 days or so, does it become perishable? What if I make cake and I'm selling this cake. After 3 days the benefits might go down because it's starting to mold, then after 6 I have to throw it out.

Same concept for players who carry food in thier bags, can food go bad in non-provisioned bags preventing them from just buying an entire bags worth of food for a month and not going back to shop again? I think it would increase the amount of time you have to visit provisioners and increase the worth of the skill. Adding social and economic value.

What if I am learning to craft a new desert dish, or I've made it before...can I fail at making a product losing some of the ingredients? (FFXI)

I can learn from a chef or a cook book, but can I just mix and match and experiment?

What are your thoughts on this?
    • 1584 posts
    April 17, 2017 12:29 PM PDT

Honestly i can see getting a lot of general supplies be storebought but a lot of the specialize foods i can see being like the qeynos tea, or the halas meat pies in orginal eq, have to find the perfect zone or maybe the only zone that drops these special components and make the really good stuff.

This post was edited by Cealtric at April 17, 2017 12:29 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 17, 2017 12:49 PM PDT

Burnsmh said: Here are a few things I am thinking for the cooking and ingredient gathering factors for Pantheon and am curious about. So, with the weather and climate system in place do you think we can expect that certain crops will only grow in certain climates? Or if it hasn't rained in an area for some time, gathering fruits and vegetables may be more difficult?

The short answer is yes. From http://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/crafting_and_harvesting/ "we will have the nodes and the items they provide exist in sensible locations within their ecology."

Burnsmh said:What if we gather a ton of ingredients and store them, will certain fruits and vegetables be perishable after X amount of time? What about the food we cook, if I make a stew and try to sell a lot of it, then I haven't sold it after 5 days or so, does it become perishable? What if I make cake and I'm selling this cake. After 3 days the benefits might go down because it's starting to mold, then after 6 I have to throw it out. Same concept for players who carry food in thier bags, can food go bad in non-provisioned bags preventing them from just buying an entire bags worth of food for a month and not going back to shop again? I think it would increase the amount of time you have to visit provisioners and increase the worth of the skill. Adding social and economic value.

I briefly suggested this a while ago basically as a pseudo-plat-sink. It has interesting implications, but it also arguably borders on being a little "too real" without really adding any fun to the game.

Burnsmh said:What if I am learning to craft a new desert dish, or I've made it before...can I fail at making a product losing some of the ingredients? (FFXI)

I haven't seen any absolute answer on this, but you may find this link interesting:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3856/thinking-about-crafting-and-fizzles

Burnsmh said:I can learn from a chef or a cook book, but can I just mix and match and experiment? What are your thoughts on this?

It looks like the answer is yes. I must say I'm excited for this. I enjoyed Skyrim's experimentation system. Anyway, from http://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/crafting_and_harvesting/ "Keep an eye open for upcoming info regarding the motions required to craft, Work Orders, Recipes, and Experimentation!"

But you may also find this interesting: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5326/discovery-via-experimentation-vs-found-bought-taught-recipes

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 17, 2017 12:53 PM PDT
    • 63 posts
    April 17, 2017 4:25 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Burnsmh said:What if we gather a ton of ingredients and store them, will certain fruits and vegetables be perishable after X amount of time? What about the food we cook, if I make a stew and try to sell a lot of it, then I haven't sold it after 5 days or so, does it become perishable? What if I make cake and I'm selling this cake. After 3 days the benefits might go down because it's starting to mold, then after 6 I have to throw it out. Same concept for players who carry food in thier bags, can food go bad in non-provisioned bags preventing them from just buying an entire bags worth of food for a month and not going back to shop again? I think it would increase the amount of time you have to visit provisioners and increase the worth of the skill. Adding social and economic value.

I briefly suggested this a while ago basically as a pseudo-plat-sink. It has interesting implications, but it also arguably borders on being a little "too real" without really adding any fun to the game.

I think it could make it "Too Real" but personally, I don't see that as a negitive. I may have to spend more or I may spend more wisely.

If I log in after work and I have a static group going on that day for 2 hours. I will buy approx. how much food I think I will use in 2 hours instead of stocking up, "Just in case."

Then if I do buy too much, well I just lost some money or it will be weaker when I log in tomorrow but I can still use it.

Then once it goes bad I can destroy it and buy more. That would force me to go find someone with that skill ask them to make it and barter a price. If I find a good deal I might even set up a little side deal with them add them to my friends list and buy exclusivly from them when we're both on and then I just made a friend.

I see way more postives to overwhelm the "too real" negitive.

But that is just my opinon.

• 2886 posts
    April 17, 2017 7:56 PM PDT

Burnsmh said:

Bazgrim said:

I think it could make it "Too Real" but personally, I don't see that as a negitive. I may have to spend more or I may spend more wisely.

If I log in after work and I have a static group going on that day for 2 hours. I will buy approx. how much food I think I will use in 2 hours instead of stocking up, "Just in case."

Then if I do buy too much, well I just lost some money or it will be weaker when I log in tomorrow but I can still use it.

Then once it goes bad I can destroy it and buy more. That would force me to go find someone with that skill ask them to make it and barter a price. If I find a good deal I might even set up a little side deal with them add them to my friends list and buy exclusivly from them when we're both on and then I just made a friend.

I see way more postives to overwhelm the "too real" negitive.

But that is just my opinon.

I personally don't disagree with you. Things like that can be good as long as they don't become a chore. Which is what it feels like when something is neither fun nor rewarding. But like I said, food decay is not inherently a bad idea. I'd like to see it to some degree. It just may not be for everyone. It's important to find a balance between Realism and Practicality.

• 3852 posts
    April 18, 2017 7:38 AM PDT

Realism is having to carry something to eat and drink, and having your character get weaker and weaker the longer the game time between eating and drinking, and ultimately dying. Realism is having to manage stacks of arrows, bolts or other distance weapons. Realism is dealing with weight and encumbrance, and not being able to wear and carry (combined) more than the wieight and encumbrance you are allowed, and fighting more and more poorly as weight and encumbrance go up. Realism is also dealing with perishable items - although in a world with magic it isn't hard to envision cheap and routine preservative spells. Quite possibly the start of the age of magic was when our hungry ancestors invented food preserving spells.

Realism is old school - get to the bottom level, kill the balrog, fight to the top again and die of starvation 10 steps from the exit. I doubt if I am the only one to remember that from the early days way way before EQ.

But how much do we want Pantheon to be a strategy game of resource management?

This post was edited by dorotea at April 18, 2017 7:38 AM PDT
    • 6 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:14 AM PDT

it may be just my opinion, but i think food should bring a bigger buff it it's freshly cooked.

an idea would be that:

a freshly cooked food (less than 15 min) would give 100% of it's buff.

a cooked food that got cold (more than 15 min) would get 60 % of it's buff but would turn bad after another 2 hour.

a cold cooked food that has been cooked again would give 80% of it's buff (but it dont reset the "turn bad" timer)

a food that turned bad would give 20 % of it's buff (with possibilities that it give a debuff or no buff at all)

a food that has been cooked in the for of a provision pack (like salted pork or spiced ham) would give 40% of it's buff and would have a week long "turn bad" timer.

NB: in that kind of scenario you would be limited in one meal, be it by refusing to eat or by erasing the previous buff with an equal or stronger buff of the same type.

that way, the player that chose "cook" as tradeskill would have the option to either make provision for casual player or join a party to give them the best buff he can give before they enter the boss room.

just to say, the meal that would give the optimal buff could be impossible to be turned in provision pack for balancing and some basic food like biscuit could come directly in "provision" mode.

This post was edited by Athenir at April 18, 2017 11:20 AM PDT