Forums » The Dire Lord

Why I don't like pets

• 1816 posts
    May 10, 2018 4:22 AM PDT

A blood construct of some sort would work, with the current things we know. However they used to have pets in EQ1 because they were melee necromancers and mimmicked their lower spells. What will it be now ? Wait and see.

• 70 posts
    May 19, 2018 11:07 AM PDT

I like the companion concept in that every player character should have a companion in one form or another that has function in combat. That said I do not believe a Tank class should have a combat pet in the traditional sense, nor do I think it should have just a dumbed down version of a pet just for flare.  

I don't believe Dire Lords are going to be Necrotic Tanks in the historical sense, to be quite honest from the above-mentioned interview I believe they will be more akin to VG's Bloodmage. 

That said, I would rather not see Skeletal Minions and the rest of the Atypical undead Pets found in a lot of games. Rather I would like to see more ethereal magical entities; shades, specters, geists, something a dark mage pulls from the ether vs a necro summoning from the ground.

I think the DL's pet should be more along the lines of a combat multiplier familiar, than a true combat pet with a full up action bar. 

Rather it should have a limited action set and have a full complement of passive combat multipliers ties into the DL's bloodletting theme and the type of damage the DL is taking.