Forums » The Wizard

Wizard Solo Ability?

• 14 posts
    February 16, 2017 7:19 PM PST
    What do you all think the Wiz solo capabilities should be like? Assuming in a field environment, not a dungeon or cramped space.

Relative to the other classes, what rank should they be?

I would argue mid-range, or 2nd tier solo capabilities.

Imo....

Tier 1 - Summoner, Druid, Ranger, Necro, Bard (?)

Tier 2 - Wizard, Enchanter, Shaman, Direlord, Pally, Monk

Tier 3 - Warrior, Rouge, Cleric

Basically, for Wizards, in all fairness, I think our solo play should be reasonably good, but with the caveat that to do so requires an ample amount of skill as a player. Hard but effective.

Thoughts?

Inb4 'group based game'
    • 1971 posts
    February 16, 2017 9:00 PM PST

I think your rankings are close to what I would guess as well...the changes I would make is to swap the tiers of ranger and druid for enchanters.

I know there have been comments made that quad kiting won't be a viable option...so that limits the druid and wizards solo efficiancy as far as that is concerned.

This post was edited by philo at February 16, 2017 9:09 PM PST
    • 14 posts
    February 17, 2017 4:24 AM PST
    Yes, I sort of did the tiers in no particular order. I'll edit it more stringently and in order when I have time -- namely enc higher and necro 2nd.
    • 4529 posts
    February 17, 2017 6:48 AM PST

I think I agree with all except the Enchanter. I'd probably put them in tier 3 because even though they have good control, they probably won't have enough raw damage to be able to actually kill stuff fast enough to be efficient soloers.

• 1971 posts
    February 17, 2017 8:57 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

I think I agree with all except the Enchanter. I'd probably put them in tier 3 because even though they have good control, they probably won't have enough raw damage to be able to actually kill stuff fast enough to be efficient soloers.

While I don't expect charm to be as over powered as it was in early EQ where enchanters did the highest sustained solo dps in the game, don't you think charm will allow chanters to be one of the top few solo classes? Summoners and necros will likely be top two.  I could speculate that enchanters could be the 3rd best soloer...maybe tied with bard?  It is hard to say but it seeems like you are undervaluing a enchanters solo ability with your comment Baz. Tier 3?  We are in a different ballpark on that one.

• 4529 posts
    February 17, 2017 9:36 AM PST

philo said:

Bazgrim said:

While I don't expect charm to be as over powered as it was in early EQ where enchanters did the highest sustained solo dps in the game, don't you think charm will allow chanters to be one of the top few solo classes? Summoners and necros will likely be top two.  I could speculate that enchanters could be the 3rd best soloer...maybe tied with bard?  It is hard to say but it seeems like you are undervaluing a enchanters solo ability with your comment Baz. Tier 3?  We are in a different ballpark on that one.

I presume we are in different ballparks because we are thinking about different games. While enchanters may have been one of the top soloers in EQ, from what I can tell of the design standpoint of Pantheon, that will not be the case here. Soloability is conceivably a quality of the Enchanter that VR could leave out of the class design for Pantheon while still maintaining its identity. The more I think about it, mezzing/charming will probably the best method for enc soloing. So while technically possible or even viable, it will probably be one of the most difficult caster classes to solo with. So perhaps tier 3 is a bit harsh, but I would certainly not put them any higher than tier 2 at this point. Depends if you're rating based on efficacy or efficiency. However, I of course reserve the right to be proven wrong when we actually get into the game. It's all speculation.

• 1971 posts
    February 17, 2017 9:43 PM PST

Why do you think that won't be a design standpoint in Pantheon?  Don't you think that enchanters will be able to charm a variety of pets?  The VR team have been highly in favor of pets...summoned, sustainable, charmed, combat, non-combat...they love pets it seems.  Charmed pets will definitely be in game.  Pets are more of a benefit to soloing than about any other form of gameplay (pets are the main reasons the summoner and necro will likely be top 2 as far as soloing....do you agree with that?)

Maybe explain your thought process better because I'm not understanding your line of thought.  How do they leave out soloability of enchanters if charm is in game?  Are you saying that they implement it in a way that makes charming close to useless? 

I do agree enchanters will likely be one of the most difficult caster classes to solo with...charming is usually dangerous as long as it lasts for a random duration.  But that is a different conversation.  For conversations sake we have to assume all classes are being played by a good player.  With mezes/stuns it isn't to hard for a solo enchanter who knows what they are doing to crowd control and recharm after charm breaks.

This post was edited by philo at February 17, 2017 9:44 PM PST