Forums » The Summoner

Pets-+Gems

• 794 posts
    December 29, 2016 10:38 AM PST

Hey what do you guys think of this idea for pets?

We have our regular mage caster stuff, but lets say we have the ability to cast a melee pet.

Melee pet casted, then we have a window with abilities window.

The abilities window has the same type a warrior could have, with bash, punch, kick, strike whatever.

Caster type would have special abilities we could cast on the mob from the pet window.

Then after that, what are your thoughts about having the abilities to upgrade the pet in a different area.

1. We can buy into abilities, or find spells for the pet on regular mobs or boss mobs, maybe raided mobs etc,,

So lets say as a caster i had no stun abilities.

Instead of having the pet auto stun randomly by chance, we have hotkey buttons or spells that have different ranks to them, that we can press after so many seconds to do something. Like stun, bash, punch, kick, root, snare, melee combos, and many more ideas.

Its much different? and the mage, + other characters can have much more to do with their pets. Armors etc... and build on the pet class they have.

I am not into a temp pet, we cast and does 5 dmg like a hammer on the cleric. I would rather have the ability to craft a AC item, for the pet and or find special abilities or spells for the pet with different ranks we can use.

• 1915 posts
    December 29, 2016 2:13 PM PST

In SWTOR, you can choose the abilities they use and disable others. You can also manually press them.

• 794 posts
    December 30, 2016 4:25 AM PST

So in starwars you can do this hey? i havent seen it before in a MMO fantasy game.

• 1988 posts
    December 30, 2016 10:39 AM PST

I like this idea.  I had brought up something similar awhile ago where you could set a pets ability queue.  So you could have 5 or 6 abilities planned out ahead of time in the queue that the pet would use in that order.  This makes it so you aren't having to basically 2 box...playing the pet and playing the character.  The pet is slightly automated but you still choose what it is going to do in advance.

On a separate note:

Talking about SWtOR and also thinking of current day EQ really makes me cringe when I think of "pets".  I hate being forced to have a pet/companion/familiar etc.  If I choose a summoner as a class great!  That is what I want out of the class.  If I choose a rogue the last thing I want is to feel like I am less powerful if I don't have my "pet" out.  Forcing a pet upon players, and if they add any kind of benefit they are not a choice, is a horrible game implementation.  "Pets" in those 2 games are a major reason why I don't play them any longer. 

Not to mention I don't want to see every class with a pet out.  It takes away from the feeling of uniqueness of the true pet classes.  Hopefully those angry threads about pets made VR tone down some of their ideas. 

Pardon my tangent...companions in SWtoR brings up bad memories.

This post was edited by philo at December 30, 2016 10:47 AM PST
    • 1915 posts
    December 30, 2016 3:37 PM PST

I found this older forum topic. Take a look at Aradunes 6/3/2016 post on the first page. Looks good to me.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3448/pets-and-pantheon

• 1988 posts
    December 30, 2016 7:38 PM PST

Beefcake said:

I found this older forum topic. Take a look at Aradunes 6/3/2016 post on the first page. Looks good to me.

You have posted that link in a couple different places now so I had seen it recently :)

I'm unsure if you remember back in june when Brad made that post?  It lead to a ton of concern/outrage by the community about pets.  (that is the reason brad went back to the post you mentioned and put that giant flashing disclaimer on it after the fact...I think it was edited as well?).

Here is a link to one of the other threads that was made to discuss brads post (I believe this was the main one but there were probably another couple threads that discussed pets at that time as well):

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3470/the-first-warning-bell/view/page/1

It even lead to posts on other mmorpg sites about Pantheon and pets...

This post was edited by philo at December 30, 2016 7:48 PM PST
    • 794 posts
    December 31, 2016 6:35 AM PST

Although those are awesome links, they are not really explained with pressing a spell gem, or a melee strike by the pet. So they become the extra tool of the caster.

It was just an idea, to the PVE style game play. Whatever pet you summoned by your side, had cut down abilities of those classes or races. Allowing you to do specific things.

Like a mage never had the ability to snare, forcing the mage to always run away. Later on the devs made it where we became healers of our pets. Very fustrating, or you had to bot, merc to heal the pets.

• 1988 posts
    December 31, 2016 10:36 AM PST

Crazzie said:

Although those are awesome links, they are not really explained with pressing a spell gem, or a melee strike by the pet. So they become the extra tool of the caster.

It was just an idea, to the PVE style game play. Whatever pet you summoned by your side, had cut down abilities of those classes or races. Allowing you to do specific things.

Like a mage never had the ability to snare, forcing the mage to always run away. Later on the devs made it where we became healers of our pets. Very fustrating, or you had to bot, merc to heal the pets.

We got off topic for sure.  I like your idea.  I'm going to go off topic again :).

Did the mage need snare? I think that might have been over powered.  

With a pet that could root and another that stunned, if we could snare wouldn't that have made kiting trivial for the mage? Aggro kiting with a pet was fairly prevalent as is.  Slowing the mobs speed would have made it even easier. 

Also, you didn't like being able to heal your pet?  I never realized there was aversion to a mages pet heals.  It seemed like it fit the role of the class and was useful.

• 1915 posts
    December 31, 2016 2:59 PM PST

philo said:

Beefcake said:

You have posted that link in a couple different places now so I had seen it recently :)

I'm unsure if you remember back in june when Brad made that post?  It lead to a ton of concern/outrage by the community about pets.  (that is the reason brad went back to the post you mentioned and put that giant flashing disclaimer on it after the fact...I think it was edited as well?).

Here is a link to one of the other threads that was made to discuss brads post (I believe this was the main one but there were probably another couple threads that discussed pets at that time as well):

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3470/the-first-warning-bell/view/page/1

It even lead to posts on other mmorpg sites about Pantheon and pets...

@philo Yeah, people keep creating new threads about pets, so I keep trying to bring everyone back in focus with a thread that at least presented a plan, whether or not it's the most current.

• 794 posts
    December 31, 2016 5:41 PM PST

It is not the same thing, i was referring too. It is pets, and spell, ability gems like we have main character. I didnt seen 1 topic about it or a mention of pressing an ability etc... on the pet window.

I read it, skimmed it for any reference to it.

So this is completely different pet topic.