Forums » The Dire Lord

Dire Lord Lineage, Expectations, and Speculation

• 70 posts
    January 15, 2017 9:50 PM PST

Good read. 

To caveat a little I wouldn't mind if the Dire Lord actually did have to unique styles of play. One being a full on Tank and the other being Melee/Caster Hybrid Dps. 

Tank Spec of course gets better defesnives, stronger taps, and threat. 

Dps Spec on the other hand has less defesnives more manuverability, lesser life taps inturn for stronger dots, and as a lesser dps class due to having higher survival give it a more robust utility arsenal.

Dots on offensive target = heals on defensive target. 

Teleport to offesnive target = PBAoE dmg to offesive targets in area and PBAoE ward to all defesnive targets in area. 

Trade Places = Swap places with defensive target, decreases threat on defensive target increases Dire Lords threat, snap agro for short period of time. 

Debuff = Debuff Offensive target - Buff Dire Lord and Defensive target. 

Those are rather generic, you could get mad crazy with specific themed DL abilities that tie into the void, shadows, and the dead. 

But my point here is that you can make a realy good tank.. but you could also make a mad crazy fun to play dps utility spec that utlizes its melee and dark magic prowess  to its full potential. In that the Dire Lord has the ability to simultaniously bolster alies and weaken foes and when need be save the frail squisheis from their certain demise all the while wreaking unwordly havoc on their oponents. 

Basically its sacrifices some mitigation for more mobility and greater dps. It sacrifices larger self heals and defensives for a more robust group oriented package. 

I think it would be a little difficult to play to its full potention in what I envision in my mind. i.e. Unlike other classes that have long duration buffs, cast buff lasts one hour. The DL has shorter more potent buffs in the form of debuffs/buffs where as the DL must bebuff an offensive target in order to buff its defensive target or defesnive targets AoE. As in the debuff/buff would only last 20-30 seconds and the DL would have to keep them on rotation along with keeping up their dmg abilities. Also DoTs on target heal defensive targets or targets AoE. So not only would the DL have to ensure debuffs are up and specific defensive targets selected, they would also have to ensure dot timers are kept up all the while keeping an eye out for that loose add so they can qucikly adjust the battlle field, either swap places via a void portal or shadow step to defensive target to save the squishy or demon speed over to quell the situation and get it back under control. All the while ensuring its doing its fair share of dps. 

I believe there should be a benificial effect to dps should the DL keep dots and debuffs on target, I beleive it should be a little more bursty than sustained. Any ways I digress. 

Again good read, and I do hope there is more than just one way to play the class. 

• 52 posts
    May 10, 2017 8:49 AM PDT

In the most recent streams and the May 2017 newsletter, it seems Visionary Realms is labeling Feign Death as the monk's iconic ability. That may not mean anything come release, but that coupled with VR developers not wanting to state we-may-or-may-not see feign death come to other classes means we should be prepared to not see it. I know it's something many of us would like, but personally I am all for class identity. If that means that's the monk's property, so be it. We'll have other fun tools at our disposal, anyways!

Also, I'd like to provide a mini-update after some people brought it up in the evergrowing unofficial Discord. I'll be working on a new iteration of the dire lord I presented earlier in the thread. It's nothing but for fun, speculation, and discussion, but I'll be gutting out the specialization aspect to build a core class concept.

• 203 posts
    May 10, 2017 9:15 PM PDT

@Faelor- I had the same question in my mind when I saw that the Monk iconic would be feign death. Where does that leave DL and their ability to act as a puller?

Like yourself, I decided I wasn't too worried about it. We're tanks, and that should be our primary concern. Pulling was just an added bonus. Will just be bringing a Monk along as a puller/DPSer :)

I'm far more excited about having a unique class, with unique abilities that people want to group with as a tank. Bring it on!

• 36 posts
    May 27, 2017 9:56 AM PDT

I personally would love for the dire lord to be the king of corpse recovery. Since they deal with the undead, using a utility spell or skill...having a last ditch effort in a raid or group to have a timed spell to either feign death (not as often as a monk) or a shadowstep of some sort or a self sacrafice ...a chance to be the last one standing if the **** hits the fan and having the abiltiy to control the undead of your fallen allies, leading to a safe place for your teamates to loot back thier corpse... i remember the early days of eq,corpse recovery. It's weird but i kinda miss it. Just a thought. 

This post was edited by Azzraus75 at May 27, 2017 9:58 AM PDT
    • 35 posts
    March 23, 2018 9:07 PM PDT

Great job with this thread! loved having such centeralized information about the class. Thanks

• 15 posts
    May 20, 2018 8:25 AM PDT
    I think the DL will be one of the most rewarding classes in the game, if not the most rewarding. Heee is what I mean by rewarding, I think it will be a class that scales highly with skill, gearing, and effort. The elite level DLs will be able to handle multiple situations (tanking, dps) extremely well but will require multiple sets of gear that need to be swapped situationally for the task at hand. I used to swap around 5 to 9 pieces of gear on average on raid encounters on my sk on everquest and could rapidly switch from being a high end tank to an elite level dps. Conversely, I saw lazy sks with mediocre dps and decent tank abilities (most common).

I think you will see a bulk of DLs being decent contributors as off tanks and situational tanks with a solid middle of the road dps contribution, then some elite level players showing an elite contribution in both areas and perhaps others.

This is where some of the hybrid classes when done right are so rewarding, you get out of them what you put into them.
    • 1816 posts
    May 20, 2018 10:16 AM PDT

cukernaut said: I think the DL will be one of the most rewarding classes in the game, if not the most rewarding. Heee is what I mean by rewarding, I think it will be a class that scales highly with skill, gearing, and effort. The elite level DLs will be able to handle multiple situations (tanking, dps) extremely well but will require multiple sets of gear that need to be swapped situationally for the task at hand. I used to swap around 5 to 9 pieces of gear on average on raid encounters on my sk on everquest and could rapidly switch from being a high end tank to an elite level dps. Conversely, I saw lazy sks with mediocre dps and decent tank abilities (most common). I think you will see a bulk of DLs being decent contributors as off tanks and situational tanks with a solid middle of the road dps contribution, then some elite level players showing an elite contribution in both areas and perhaps others. This is where some of the hybrid classes when done right are so rewarding, you get out of them what you put into them.

On what concrete facts are you making this assertion ... ?

• 15 posts
    May 20, 2018 5:20 PM PDT
    This is entirely speculation not assertion (see the first words on the post “I think “

I am speculating based on -
    Experience with hybrid melee classes in general. You are always making trade offs of int/mitigation/stamina/strength etc. as well as the assumption that functionally the DL class will have many similarities to SK in everquest.