Forums » The Wizard

Blink Ability

• 59 posts
    December 18, 2016 6:14 AM PST

I really hope the Wizards gonna have a short way teleport spell with a fixed direction. In Everquest the wizard had something like that but it was totally random which direction you would teleport making the spell pretty useless overall. I think it can be a good for survivability to blink out of an AoE or away from an enemy since we probably will lack Hitpoints.

• 4529 posts
    December 19, 2016 8:06 AM PST

I'd agree but it'd probably hafta have a really short cast time and a fairly long cooldown. These types of abilities are more common and practical in fast-paced action combat games, but I don't think it would be too out of place in Pantheon as long as it's only limited to Wizards. I'd also add that there might have to be some restrictions to prevent players from being able to bypass significant amounts of content by just blinking through doors and such.

• 59 posts
    December 19, 2016 10:13 AM PST

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=375

Pretty quick to cast , and also no long recast. I dont mind 2 charges instant cast with a Minute recast or so :)

• 152 posts
    January 4, 2017 1:57 PM PST

Played Wizard so much in EQ, and maybe I am an idiot for not using them, but I don't think I ever used the blink line more than a couple times as a last resort. Those spells ended up getting me mobbed/killed more often than than they got me out of the trouble I was already in.

Maybe a cool mechanic could be that after you blink, you have 2.5 seconds where you are translucent and cannot be seen by the hostile mob you just blinked within striking range of so you can move to safety if you are low HP? or if high HP, no translucent ability? Also might be just plain even more cool to have to deal with the fact that blink is a "wild magic" line of spells and is unpredictable at best and should only be used as a last resort and is not always to be counted on as a sure thing for that very reason?

Thoughts?

• 424 posts
    January 8, 2017 10:36 PM PST
    I really like the thinking of your latter reasoning, Portal. Just one of those "wild magic" spells used for emergencies, sometimes.
    • 1971 posts
    January 9, 2017 1:35 AM PST

Portalgun said:

Played Wizard so much in EQ, and maybe I am an idiot for not using them, but I don't think I ever used the blink line more than a couple times as a last resort. Those spells ended up getting me mobbed/killed more often than than they got me out of the trouble I was already in.

Maybe a cool mechanic could be that after you blink, you have 2.5 seconds where you are translucent and cannot be seen by the hostile mob you just blinked within striking range of so you can move to safety if you are low HP? or if high HP, no translucent ability? Also might be just plain even more cool to have to deal with the fact that blink is a "wild magic" line of spells and is unpredictable at best and should only be used as a last resort and is not always to be counted on as a sure thing for that very reason?

Thoughts?

The problem with the blink ability in EQ was the random direction it took you.  While I hate to use wow as an exampe, ever, it handled this ability better.  Straight ahead, limited range etc.  It was actually somewhat useful at times.

I think your idea about being transluscent for 2.5 seconds could be abused.  I'm assuming you mean you would be non aggro during that time?  If not, what would be the point of being transluscent?  Even 1 second of making yourself non aggro has major exploit potential.  That's like giving wizards a short duration FD.

• 129 posts
    January 10, 2017 9:02 AM PST

Sorry if this idea has already been thrown out there, but what about something like they have in guild wars 2, where you double-tap WASD to do a quick roll in any direction? It saves you a spell slot, and gives you control over which direction you go. 

• 22 posts
    January 10, 2017 10:09 AM PST

Thats a cool idea Quintra.

Also, I am 50/50 on spell like Fade or Blink,  I think part of the reason the landing location is random is because the devs are trying to simulate trying to cast a spell in a panic.  So that is why you land sometimes in good spots and sometimes not.  From a casters stand point I would rather know exactly where I was going to land before casting it.  When I played EQ I rarely loaded that spell because of the randomness of it and the lack of spell slots available.

I believe the DEVs are talking about only allowing for a finite of spells to be loaded in Pantheon, which is a departure from Vanguard, and more of push back to how EQ worked.  I personnelly liked having all spells available at any given moment vs. having to think through what I need to load and then loading it.  Not to mention the panic of dying and hoping my bind spot was safe.