Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Color Blind Issues

• 1618 posts
    December 14, 2016 4:19 PM PST

If we must differentiate everything with colors, it would be great to also have symbols. Those of us colorblind fools would appreciate it.

Nothing is harder than having to quickly run to the required color to avoid death or wipe, when a lot of them look similar, such as blue v purple, yellow v green, red v green, etc.

If we have to quickly run to a color, also add a pattern, such as red circles also have squares, or blue circles also have triangles, etc.

• 3016 posts
    December 14, 2016 4:22 PM PST

That's a good idea I think. :)

Cana

• 610 posts
    December 14, 2016 5:26 PM PST

Beefcake said:

If we must differentiate everything with colors, it would be great to also have symbols. Those of us colorblind fools would appreciate it.

Nothing is harder than having to quickly run to the required color to avoid death or wipe, when a lot of them look similar, such as blue v purple, yellow v green, red v green, etc.

If we have to quickly run to a color, also add a pattern, such as red circles also have squares, or blue circles also have triangles, etc.

L2P noob!

Sorry just kidding...yeah this is a good idea, the issue of color blind is a lot more prevalent than I thought before I started pc gaming

• 9115 posts
    December 14, 2016 6:03 PM PST

Colour blindness is something we are aware of but at this early stage of development, have not decided how we will handle this yet, we will most likely seek feedback during testing when players with colour blindness can experience the game for themselves and report the issues they have.

• 563 posts
    December 14, 2016 6:57 PM PST

I think its a great idea for games to implement solution for people with impairments such as colour blindness or deafness (such as adding option for a visual cue instead of audio cue).

• 3852 posts
    December 14, 2016 7:02 PM PST

Good luck with the problem. My problem is poor hearing - doesn't really hinder most gameplay but it makes it hard to raid since so many raids rely heavily on voice chat. Also limits what guilds I can join significantly but I'm used to that and more guilds than many might thing avoid voice chat for roleplaying or inculsionary reasons.

In-game voice chat will not be my friend but I can't exactly lobby against it - sadly for me it is a good idea.

• 781 posts
    December 14, 2016 7:04 PM PST

Rachael said:

I think its a great idea for games to implement solution for people with impairments such as colour blindness or deafness (such as adding option for a visual cue instead of audio cue).

/ Agree :) 

• 613 posts
    December 15, 2016 10:50 AM PST

I am watching this thread closely. My father is color blind and he plays with me and has for 20 years now. This game is what we have been looking for so this is a serious issue. I have had him look at the images and video feeds so far the dark areas are the trouble but that would be normal. With some games all the flashy spells and mechanics limit him to ranged classes. Not a bad thing but up close he can’t see what is happening…not a good tank.

Thanks Kilsin for that piece of information. I know its early but it is important.

Ox

Oxillion member and officer of The Dragon Accord

• 2130 posts
    December 15, 2016 11:19 AM PST

If I'm not mistaken, World of Warcraft has a very extensive colorblindness section in the UI that allows you to tailor the game to the various different types of color blindness.

I'm not sure how well it works, but it's an idea.

• 3852 posts
    December 15, 2016 1:39 PM PST

I remember in Rift a certain type of mob (basically put in to give special drops for certain events) changed color every few seconds and the loot it dropped was based on its color when it died.

Someone raised a concern about color blindness and within a week or two they added identification symbols for those that couldn't determine the color.

I don't know of anything done more generally though.