Forums » The Summoner

Out of combat utility.

• 35 posts
    December 13, 2016 12:40 PM PST
    As the title States what kind of utility are you hoping to see in the Summoner class.

I myself am hoping for
    - Player summoning
    - Food and Drink that expires after an hour.
    - Atmospheric lighting for dungeons.
    - Scouting critters or wraiths to scope out areas upcoming.

In regards to player summoning it'd have to be balanced ie. summoning requiring more people or some kind of debilitating debuff on the person summoned for a period of time.
    What do y'all think of?
    • 1964 posts
    December 13, 2016 2:52 PM PST

Maybe there could be more levels of CotH (summoning) than just your standard CotH.

Ideas:  The lowest level summon would summon one person to you but they have to be in zone.  The next higher version would summon one person to you from anywhere in the world.   The next higher version would summon your whole group to you etc.

Each of those would have a progressively more expensive spell component.  I'm not sure why there would be a need  for "some kind of debilitating debuff on the person summoned for a period of time.".  That is like saying that someone should be debuffed every time they port somewhere.  It isn't a spell usable in combat.  Why do you feel that way?

Also, I would hope that there are elemental summonables that aid with your atmospheric resistance.

This post was edited by philo at December 13, 2016 3:03 PM PST
    • 41 posts
    December 13, 2016 6:52 PM PST

I'm definitely hoping for a similar spell to CotH and thought it served a ton of utility in game. I can see restrictions happening on it for certain levels to prevent a noob from being summoned up for a piece of gear or something and also maybe environmental/indoor/outdoor locks that make sure content cannot be skipped regularly. But as for any limitations or debuffs on the spell itself, not sure I'd enjoy that or see the need for a utility spell.

Absolutely would love to see our pets or a summonable item be useful for ooc use, perhaps something similar to the Eye of Zomm so we can check out stuff if a scouting class isn't available. And if our elements can help with colored mana streams or certain environments that would shield us and/or the group, that would be a very nice benefit and ensure usefulness of various pet types. The only other thing I'd like to see is us having some possibly decent utility/buff of sorts for others or decent summonable items that go beyond simply being for pets or CRs.

• 4528 posts
    December 14, 2016 3:59 AM PST

In my mind, high level Summoners should be able to summon pretty much anything you can think of. The ultimate utility. Here are just a few examples of unique, useful things that I can think of that would make Summoners a very welcome addition to any group. All of the following would expire after a relatively short period time:

Low level:

-large backpack

-torches

Mid level:

-banker

-general merchant

-armorer (buy, sell, repair)

High level:

-skeleton key (might be OP?)

-mount

-counterfeit gold (very long cooldown of course)

...The possibilities really are endless.

• 94 posts
    December 28, 2016 7:16 PM PST

Summoned food will most likly just be "no rent" as it was in EQ so much is being taken from how it was in EQ I would be surprided if this was not the case here as well.

• 262 posts
    January 17, 2017 9:46 AM PST

As long as the summoned item utility of EQ is carried over im happy (summoner types aren't my thing but I like the goodies they create)

Summoned (non pet utility):

Resist gear (less resist than crafted but good in a pinch),

Climate adaption buff gear

Ammo

Bandages.

Perhaps a clickable item with limited charges of stuff like blind (short term flashbang cc)

I'm undecided on bringing over a mod rod item

(Edit to include..) one other thing that might be cool, a summoned custodian type spirit/elemental/imp/what have you that the party can "sell" vender fodder to while in the field, under the flavor of "a household spirit that sells your unwanted items while you are busy doing important things...For a price" and to balance it the spirit Butler thing embezzles a random amount of the value per item for itself.  If you don't want to leave to sell it's an option but you will def make more going yourself.

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 17, 2017 9:52 AM PST
    • 4528 posts
    January 17, 2017 11:34 AM PST

Zikkar said:

Summoned food will most likly just be "no rent" as it was in EQ so much is being taken from how it was in EQ I would be surprided if this was not the case here as well.

For that matter, I'd imagine any item that a Summoner conjures would be temporary or "no rent."

• 46 posts
    January 19, 2017 2:52 PM PST

I played a Mage for 10 years in EQ. I could definitely do without many of the summon item spells they gave us. I remember there was a point where this was my log-in procedure:

Summon food and water

Summon pet

Summon two weapons for pet, hand to pet

Summon bag of pet armor, hand to pet

Summon haste mask, hand to pet

Then of course every Necro and Beastlord needed to bug me for pet gear also. To me this became just unnecessary tedium. The weapon spells I'm probably okay with, but stuff like giving summoned armor to pets seems a little unnecessary.

Basically, summoned items are cool, but there's no need to give the class loads of them.