Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Did you see the heat?

• 294 posts
    December 12, 2016 4:21 PM PST

Did you see the heat coming from the forge mentioned in the Dec. 9 video ?

Looks like this forge has enough heat associated with it that it creates the need to aclimate before being able to use it, or even approach.

I wonder if spending a little time down in the desert sun of Kaga Sands would help in this endeavor?

Arrrgh. Dwarves don't care much for bright sunlight...

• 3016 posts
    January 2, 2017 3:01 PM PST

But don't dwarves mine, and smelt etc.  Perhaps they would have a small attunement to heat...not as affected as other races?   That would kind of fit.

• 174 posts
    January 2, 2017 7:07 PM PST

I would think it should be more a profession attribute, i.e. smiths, rather than dwarves.  Think our dwarves are attuned to the cold, but perhaps those that smithed would have some heat tolerance from all that time spent at the forge?

• 3016 posts
    January 2, 2017 7:38 PM PST

Chimerical said:

I would think it should be more a profession attribute, i.e. smiths, rather than dwarves.  Think our dwarves are attuned to the cold, but perhaps those that smithed would have some heat tolerance from all that time spent at the forge?

Even better..the more you smelt, forge the higher your heat tolerance over time?  Hmm but then again everyone would want to smith..to get that tolerance.  hehehe

• 2138 posts
    January 3, 2017 3:30 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Chimerical said:

Even better..the more you smelt, forge the higher your heat tolerance over time?  Hmm but then again everyone would want to smith..to get that tolerance.  hehehe

Maybe that could be an alternate way to acclimate to the environment, via a skill. So you could either spend time in the desert or do what is needed to get acclimated, or if you were bound in a snowy zone- through the skill quest arc, get some heat acclimation. In the case where the forge was - you might not be completely heat acclimated but  if you had some skill forging you could exist in the hot furnace of the forge long enough to use the special piece, but yet would still be affected by the heat.

However if you were heat acclimated, you would waltz in at your leisure- but you would have suffered through the zone. That would make being heat acclimated through skilling a slightly better thing to be as the heat would affect you a portion, whereas the cold woudllaffect you more severely if environmentally acclimated  only.  

• 1618 posts
    January 3, 2017 4:14 PM PST

If you get acclimated to heat, does it lessen your cold acclimation? Logically, if you were naturally (without the aid of gear) acclimated to one climate, you would not be to its opposite.

Of course, gear could artificially acclimate you.

• 780 posts
    January 3, 2017 10:36 PM PST

That would be sweet if you could only be acclimated (through skill) to one environment at a time and had to rely on gear for the others.   I thought they said you'd have to be acclimated to the heat first, and then you could hop down there and build your faction with the forgemaster?

• 2886 posts
    January 4, 2017 5:17 AM PST

Beefcake said:

If you get acclimated to heat, does it lessen your cold acclimation? Logically, if you were naturally (without the aid of gear) acclimated to one climate, you would not be to its opposite.

Of course, gear could artificially acclimate you.

I had this same question as soon as they showed it. I asked Kilsin and he said it would be possible to be acclimated to all climates simultaneously, but he didn't expound much upon natural vs. gear acclimation as they are probably still working out the details. He did say however that in order to be fully acclimated to all climates it would probably require such gearing that you would sacrifice essential base stats. I think frigid/scorching are the only climate opposites and personally I think it makes most sense that you could not be naturally acclimated to both at the same time. Therefore, you could be naturally acclimated to frigid OR scorching, and then fill out the other with gear.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 4, 2017 5:26 AM PST
    • 763 posts
    January 11, 2017 4:42 AM PST

I imagine the limitations will be based on number of acclimation slots, unless they decide to organise the elements into 'pairs of opposites'.

As I understood it, much of acclimation was derived from 'slotted' essence and perhaps items (in regular slots) adding somewhat. With only 8-12 acclimation 'body slots' and 5 (?) elements to acclimate to, it would be problematic to have high tier acclimation to all of them simultaneously. Thus it would fall to 'mastery of one' or 'jack of a few' elements I imagine. This may be further bolstered by 'resistance' components from gear to be added on top.

In particular, 'essences' from items for 'body slots' might offer acclimation to more than one element, or even a negative to a diametrically opposed one.

Examples:

Item #1: +40% Cold acclimation, -10% Heat acclimation
    Item #2: +20% Cold acclimation, +10% Death acclimation

Thus you have to choose how you balance your acclimation items etc.

• 3016 posts
    January 14, 2017 11:27 AM PST

Evoras said:

I imagine the limitations will be based on number of acclimation slots, unless they decide to organise the elements into 'pairs of opposites'.

As I understood it, much of acclimation was derived from 'slotted' essence and perhaps items (in regular slots) adding somewhat. With only 8-12 acclimation 'body slots' and 5 (?) elements to acclimate to, it would be problematic to have high tier acclimation to all of them simultaneously. Thus it would fall to 'mastery of one' or 'jack of a few' elements I imagine. This may be further bolstered by 'resistance' components from gear to be added on top.

In particular, 'essences' from items for 'body slots' might offer acclimation to more than one element, or even a negative to a diametrically opposed one.

Examples:

Item #1: +40% Cold acclimation, -10% Heat acclimation
    Item #2: +20% Cold acclimation, +10% Death acclimation

Thus you have to choose how you balance your acclimation items etc.

How about items with temporary effects...say last for 8 hours,  so that those that haven't achieved the gear item or body slot yet, but are working toward that can participate?   Could create a market for the temp items,  possibly something a crafter could make?