Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Marriage?! What do you guys thinks

• 40 posts
    December 12, 2016 2:34 AM PST

I saw a thread for progenies but I didn't see a thread for marriage.  I think it was avail in EQ1 at the end...they sold chapels dark or light chapel?!  Unless I'm thinking of another game.

It could be fun but it would need to have a point, unlike in EQ.  A marriage like in ESO where you have one ring so marriage is serious...and you give it to one person and you can teleport to them at any time (maybe 15 min recast or whatever) and gain more xp if you are grouped with them.

What do you guys think?

PS: Gay marriage needs to be included obviously.

Most of us aren't going to marry someone we're deeply in love with.  We're mostly going to marry a friend that we play with a lot.  I think it could be a fun element of roleplay and add something to the game.  It's not like you're both going to be online at the same time all the time so with like 1% extra xp or whatever, it would not be OP.

• 1434 posts
    December 12, 2016 2:44 AM PST

I prefer having all my progeny characters out of wedlock.

• 40 posts
    December 12, 2016 2:48 AM PST

Dullahan said:

You don't need to have progeny to get married though...

• 2886 posts
    December 12, 2016 3:33 AM PST

patrick83 said:

Dullahan said:

You don't need to have progeny to get married though...

I think it was a joke lol.

Anyway, I'd rather there be 0 benefit to in-game marriages. If people wanna pretend to get married in-game, I don't think anyone's gonna stop them. But I don't think the game itself should sanction them or encourage them. I, and probably many other people don't really wanna bother with it. And if it's a form of fast travel or even just gives you +1% XP, then I'm gonna feel pressured into something that I just don't wanna do.

• 69 posts
    December 12, 2016 6:44 AM PST

You are correct in stating that EQ1 currently has special zones for marriages to take place along with all the trimmings (rings, cakes, outfits and so forth).  Sadly, EQ1 sold the items for the wedding zone via micro-transactions.  I believe that marriages would greatly appeal to RPers in game and it would be neat to have a type of family tree since there is the progeny system (Toon, son/daughter of Parent Toon & Parent Toon).  If the progeny system is deep, you could actually have a huge lineage history for your own personal family lore. 

• 137 posts
    December 12, 2016 7:50 AM PST

Not a fan of it in RL definitely not in game. I say if you do it in game, you automatically lose half your items in your bank, also your character randomly nukes him/her self to death due to lack of desire to live.

.....I do

"You feel strange, like your soul is being drained..."

This post was edited by Riply at December 12, 2016 7:51 AM PST
    • 556 posts
    December 12, 2016 9:47 AM PST

There are much better things I'd rather have the dev's putting time into. This is literally the lowest thing I can think of on the totem pole in my book. 

• 138 posts
    December 12, 2016 11:03 AM PST

I'm not really for it. Players can figure out a way to accomplish this kind of thing without the help of development, and I think they have more important things to focus on. I'm not a roleplayer, so this type of thing, personally, has zero appeal. 

• 172 posts
    December 12, 2016 3:23 PM PST

There needs to be a rule against marrying your ex'es progeny.

• 1618 posts
    December 12, 2016 3:27 PM PST

Marriage is fine in a role playing sense. Let people be who they want to be. But don't give it an in-game benefit, especially one of value.

EQ2 did this less than a year ago. You got benefits when you and your spouse were both logged in. It was a significant benefit. Soon, people in raids felt forced to buy second accounts to store their spouse alt so they would have the bonus all the time.

• 249 posts
    December 12, 2016 3:28 PM PST

Holla we want prenup! we want prenup! yeahhhh

• 3852 posts
    December 12, 2016 3:35 PM PST

I don't like the idea of it giving a significant in-game benefit.

I see no reason not to allow it - marraige can even be a revenue maker for the company. In FFXIV its something you can arrange and pay for with various optional extras. Cosmetic extras.

I enjoyed Riply's comment though after 46 years of marraige in real life I'm more positive towards the institution and would count on the other side of Riply's believe it or not.

Lest I be misunderstood I am no fan of microtransactions and hate, despise, abominate and abhor in-game stores. But many games have "outside of the game" fees e.g. for renaming, change of race, character transfers, marraige and the like.

• 126 posts
    December 12, 2016 8:44 PM PST

My characters performed many in-game marriages. Was rather fun, actually. I hate what EQ has devolved into, tho, with the zones. That's just dumb! And there were all kinds of weddings....evil, good, evil vs good, evil/good, troll/halfling... you name it! Had a whole book of scripts. Had some in macro. RL couples getting married ingame was a lot of fun! Never knew who was going to show up!

of course... I also moderated separations and divorces, as well. /le sigh.....ohhh, well....But some were really funny! :D

• 40 posts
    December 13, 2016 1:57 AM PST

I was thinking more of the ESO ring of Mara's that let you go to your spouse and gives you a small bonus when you're both logged in.  It definitely should not be a huge bonus or you could gete the bonux only after being ''married'' for X amount of time.

It appeals to roleplayers I'm sure.

I would personally marry anyone of any gender that I group with often.

They could be called rings of friendship so they could be used for marriage but also for friends...bromance it on!  Hrmm sismance too?  Ya sorry sismance was just mad eup on the spot, ladies.

• 2886 posts
    December 13, 2016 3:07 AM PST

patrick83 said:

I was thinking more of the ESO ring of Mara's that let you go to your spouse and gives you a small bonus when you're both logged in.  It definitely should not be a huge bonus or you could gete the bonux only after being ''married'' for X amount of time.

It appeals to roleplayers I'm sure.

I would personally marry anyone of any gender that I group with often.

They could be called rings of friendship so they could be used for marriage but also for friends...bromance it on!  Hrmm sismance too?  Ya sorry sismance was just mad eup on the spot, ladies.

In addition to caravans, they have hinted at other ways of, in some cases, being able to teleport to friends (like a Call of the Hero sorta thing) to be able to keep up with the people that you group with often. I see no point in putting a "marriage" label on it that just makes it awkward.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at December 13, 2016 3:08 AM PST
    • 40 posts
    December 13, 2016 3:16 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Like I said, ring of friendship isn't marriage related.

In addition to caravans, they have hinted at other ways of, in some cases, being able to teleport to friends (like a Call of the Hero sorta thing) to be able to keep up with the people that you group with often. I see no point in putting a "marriage" label on it that just makes it awkward.

If it's a ring of friendship like ESO, it doesn't have to be a marriage.  I know that most roleplayers will want some marriage or friendship showing type of celebration or ...  Why not make it useful for those who don't RP?