Forums » The Shaman

Shaman Spells & Abilities

• 719 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:24 PM PST

I've gone ahead and compiled a list of known Shaman spells shown during the latest stream (Dec. 9, 2016).  I have not included any of the actual damage figures seen in the logs as they appear not to be scaled correctly (for example, Curse of Venom was doing 5 damage per tic, whereas Curse of Decay was doing 150 per tic).  There is a very strong chance that I have missed information and there could very easily be errors.  With that in mind, enjoy!

Shaman Spells & Abilities

Damage Spells

• Curse of Venom (cast time: 6s)

Curse your target, inflicting them with periodic Poison damage.

• Curse of Decay (cast time: 5s)

Curse your target, inflicting them with periodic Disease damage as their flesh rots. [Required Level: 4]

• Summon Spirit Wolf (cast time: 1s)

Call forth a Spirit Wolf from beyond the veil to aid you in combat. [Required Level: 10]

Heals/Remedies

• Lesser Heal (cast time: 4s)

(Single Target) Heals a friendly target for 5 to 80 Hitpoints. [Required Level: 1]

• Lesser Regeneration (cast time: 7s)

(Single Target) Fill your target with healing magic, restoring health over time for 00:30:00. [Required Level: 4]

• Frail Remedy: Poisons

(Single Target) Attempts to remove frail Poisons from a friendly target. [Required Level: 1]

• Frail Remedy: Toxins

(Single Target) Attempts to remove frail Toxins from a friendly target. [Required Level: 5]

Buffs

• Gift of the Ancestors (cast time: 2s)

(Single Target) Increase Wisdom and Constitution by 2 for 00:20:00. [Required Level: 1]

• Blessing of the Wolf (cast time: 5s)

(Single Target) Increase Strength, Dexterity and Agility by 4 for 00:60:00. [Required Level: 6]

• Wolf Swiftness

-No Description (We know from conversations in the stream that this is some form of Movement Speed Buff)

• Spirit of Cheetah

-No Description

• Spirit of Joppa

-No Description (Could potentially be a Dev tool)

Debuffs

• Curse of Lethargy (cast time: 5s)

(Single Target) Curse your target with dark energies, slowing their melee attacks by 30%. [Required Level: 8]

• Hex of Frailty (cast time: 4s)

(Single Target) Curse your target with foul magic, reducing the target’s Curse, Disease and Poison resists by 5 for 00:03:00. [Required Level: 8]

• Wither (cast time: 6s)

(Single Target) Curse your target with foul magic, reducing the target’s Strength and Dexterity by 5 for 00:02:00.

This post was edited by Nikademis at December 11, 2016 10:44 PM PST
    • 4534 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:35 PM PST

Good call Nika. I figured someone would do this. It's definitely way too early to crunch a lot of numbers as combat scaling is still gonna change significantly. But it's nice to at least get a general idea of the types of tools they will have.

"Kagrik says, 'anyone want spirit of joppa for a good hump?'" LOL definitely think that's not gonna be a real spell.

• 2312 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:41 PM PST

Thank you for the information, Nikademis, it is greatly appreciated.

I get the feeling that the Shaman, as it appears right now, is more akin to the EQ1 shaman than the EQ2 or Vanguard shaman.  With the buffs being multi-stat at such an early level shows great promise and if that stays through alpha/beta it will make buffing a much more efficient process.  Plus those early debuffs are nice.

• 1714 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:43 PM PST

I believe Spirit of Joppa is super speed buff, not sure where I remember that from though.

• 144 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:52 PM PST

Dear Dev Team,

I would like to put forth....that if only you would call Wolf Swiftness - Swiftness of Wolf, it would make many long time eq players ever so happy to once again be able to /ooc Any SOW near zone to Avendyr's?

Also without any IP infringement!  Bonus!

Thank you for your consideration /smile

~MINX

• 719 posts
    December 10, 2016 7:38 PM PST

Vandraad said:

I get the feeling that the Shaman, as it appears right now, is more akin to the EQ1 shaman than the EQ2 or Vanguard shaman.  With the buffs being multi-stat at such an early level shows great promise and if that stays through alpha/beta it will make buffing a much more efficient process.  Plus those early debuffs are nice.

Glad to help guys.

I would agree with you @Vandraad, in that this iteration of the Shaman seems much closer to Everquest as opposed to Vanguard.  Though as you mentioned, the addition of buffs which affect multiple stats is nice and a feature we saw in Vanguard.  The early debuffs seem great, particularly getting a 30% slow at level 8.  Sadly with the issues on the VR stream, I mainly watched from Cohh's perspective (who was a fantastic choice in my opinion, by the way).  However, from what I could see from the VR perspective, it didn't appear that Monty was using the debuffs very often.  I will have to go back and watch once the edited video is released by the team, but I can't recall seeing a single slow cast (but again, I could have easily missed it).

Edit: After going and watching more closely, John was definitely casting his slow.  My confusion came from the fact that the debuff currently has the same particle effect as his dots.  "You begin to cast Curse of Lethargy" and "Gnashura looks frail" can be read in the logs.  Sorry John! <3

Edit 2: Now that the VR stream video is up, I'm instantly seeing some interesting things come to light.  I'll likely just keep editing this thread as things become a bit less nebulous.  But the first thing I noticed is that Curse of Decay was doing different damage to different mobs.  For example, early on Curse of Decay was doing 150 per tic while applied to Withered Boa (as I made note of in the OP) but as they moved into fighting the Emeraldscale Myrmidon it was only doing 10 damage per tic, which seems much more reasonable.  I can't say if this was intended or not but its certainly interesting.  There are also instances where he has first casts Hex of Frailty prior to casting Curse of Decay which could partially explain the discrepancy (whether that accounts for the 140 damage per tic, I can't say).  More thoughts to come.

This post was edited by Nikademis at January 7, 2017 8:51 AM PST
    • 719 posts
    December 11, 2016 6:56 PM PST

I've also added some approximate cast times to the OP by simply estimating from the footage.  Keep in mind that these are only estimates as it's difficult to time them exactly.  There is a strong chance that some of the cast times include fractions of seconds, though for my initial estimates and I'm rounding to the nearest second.

This post was edited by Nikademis at December 11, 2016 10:42 PM PST
    • 320 posts
    December 17, 2016 12:48 PM PST

Late jumping in on this, thanks for doing the work here Nik.

I think the 10dmg vs 150dmg was based on mob type. As if it ticked harder on undeads or something.

I would have liked to see a dd spell though. For the most part it seemed that the cleric had the healing down just fine solo, as we'd assume, but all the shaman had was weak dots and the wolf. :(

• 719 posts
    December 28, 2016 10:01 AM PST

tanwedar said:

Late jumping in on this, thanks for doing the work here Nik.

I think the 10dmg vs 150dmg was based on mob type. As if it ticked harder on undeads or something.

I would have liked to see a dd spell though. For the most part it seemed that the cleric had the healing down just fine solo, as we'd assume, but all the shaman had was weak dots and the wolf. :(

Glad to help ;)

I agree that the damage fluctuations are very likely attributed to different mob types, natural resistances and perhaps even a congruent spell casting system to the "body type" mechanic for melee classes.  However, I still believe that the numbers, though perhaps mimicking these mechanics at a very early stage, are still not tuned properly as a 140 damage discrepancy per tic at level 12 is massive.  I would guess we will see these numbers balance some as the classes continue to evolve but we shall see.  Either way, I'm very much looking forward to it :D

• 536 posts
    January 2, 2017 3:31 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Vandraad said:

Gland to help guys.

I would agree with you @Vandraad, in that this iteration of the Shaman seems much closer to Everquest as opposed to Vanguard.  Though as you mentioned, the addition of buffs which affect multiple stats is nice and a feature we saw in Vanguard.  The early debuffs seem great, particularly getting a 30% slow at level 8.  Sadly with the issues on the VR stream, I mainly watched from Cohh's perspective (who was a fantastic choice in my opinion, by the way).  However, from what I could see from the VR perspective, it didn't appear that Monty was using the debuffs very often.  I will have to go back and watch once the edited video is released by the team, but I can't recall seeing a single slow cast (but again, I could have easily missed it).

Edit: After going and watching more closely, John was definitely casting his slow.  My confusion came from the fact that the debuff currently has the same particle effect as his dots.  "You begin to cast Curse of Lethargy" and "Gnashura looks frail" can be read in the logs.  Sorry John! <3

Edit 2: Now that the VR stream video is up, I'm instantly seeing some interesting things come to light.  I'll likely just keep editing this thread as things become a bit less nebulous.  But the first thing I noticed is that Curse of Decay was doing different damage to different mobs.  For example, early on Curse of Decay was doing 150 per tic while applied to Withered Boa (as I made note of in the OP) but as they moved into fighting the Emeraldscale Myrmidon it was only doing 10 damage per tic, which seems much more reasonable.  I can't say if this was intended or not but its certainly interesting.  There are also instances where he has first casts Hex of Frailty prior to casting Curse of Decay which could partially explain the discrepancy (whether that accounts for the 140 damage per tic, I can't say).  More thoughts to come.

Ummm...

• 320 posts
    January 5, 2017 7:57 AM PST

I know you guys can't give away much at all at this point... But, any dev able to step in and offer insight on the 150dmg tick being a bug or not?

• 3 posts
    April 13, 2017 12:03 PM PDT

My favorite class in EQ was hands down the shaman. The combination of buffs, debuffs, canni/regen and the ability to solo (not extremely well, but it was possible at all), and group heal/duo made this class absolutely a joy to play. If the bard could fit in any group and compliment it the shaman could fit in any group and nearly accomplish most roles in a pinch. I am excited to see that the theme of the spells (at least the time of this stream, which was a long time ago) fit similarly into the EQ shaman. My hopes are that this class is at least equally flexible.

• 80 posts
    April 15, 2017 8:11 PM PDT

Shaman get to summon spirit animals?  This does it, I'm playing shaman for sure now.

Thanks for the compiliation Nika. :3

Now what race to play...

This post was edited by Farrinard at April 15, 2017 8:18 PM PDT
    • 2 posts
    May 7, 2017 6:53 PM PDT

That low level poison DOT ... 6 sec cast?  OUCH.

Makes me think battles are going to last very, very long.

• 20 posts
    June 1, 2017 3:48 PM PDT

Have we seen or heard of any spells t hat allow Shaman to turn into Animals?  Like a Bear or a Wolf?

• 2312 posts
    June 1, 2017 6:34 PM PDT

None have been revealed yet.  All we've seen is a wolf pet.

• 235 posts
    July 14, 2017 7:16 AM PDT

Thanks for the information. I know a lot will change prior to launch but it gives a good idea we are on the same path as an Everquest Shaman and me likey.

• 536 posts
    July 21, 2017 2:10 PM PDT

Anistosoles said:

Nikademis said:

Vandraad said:

Gland to help guys.

Ummm...

Okay, seriously, no one else chuckled when they read the highlighted part???

• 2 posts
    August 19, 2021 11:15 AM PDT

I am thinking of a quest get this spell or shaman ability called Spirit melding.

this allows the shamen to to enter gaseous form then melding with his spirit animal pet.increasing the pet stats and giving you full control of using the pet stabilitys also increasing the physical size.

for maybe two minutes duration. at the end of the direction you get knocked out of the pet as if you were affected by a knockdown spell and blues Health according to how long you held that form that might kill you if you enter at low health

this is just a cool thought I had while I was watching one of your developer videos.