Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Name Creation Rules

This topic has been closed.
    • 32 posts
    December 9, 2016 8:12 AM PST

Everyone likes to have their own identity. Undoubtedly, some names will be taken at launch by people that have no intention to play long term. To solve this problem, I propose the following:

Allow multiple capitals or allow special characters (but not numbers, i hate numbers). Yes, it takes away from the immersion somewhat, but it also adds to it.

I guess it's a personal preference. Would you rather see "Rangergate", "RangerGate", "Ranger.Gate" or "Ranggerrgattee"?

Personally, I like the period.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at December 9, 2016 4:00 PM PST
    • 556 posts
    December 9, 2016 8:24 AM PST

Actually against this idea. 2 people sharing a name with only a capital or period seperating them ... that can just lead to terrible trolling. Say your name is Rangergate and you just happen to tick me off one day, what stops me from making a monk named RangerGate and training people every time on him just to ruin your rep? No thanks. I like to keep my name clean

• 29 posts
    December 9, 2016 8:32 AM PST

I prefer simple First names, maybe 2 capital letters, but do not allow duplicate case-sensitive names. Reserve all special characters for surnames and definitely 2 capitals.

Firstname Lastname

Firstname LastName

Firstname Last`Name (or Last'Name)

Firstname Last-Name

Firstname McLastname

etc.

• 32 posts
    December 9, 2016 8:41 AM PST

Enitzu said:

Actually against this idea. 2 people sharing a name with only a capital or period seperating them ... that can just lead to terrible trolling. Say your name is Rangergate and you just happen to tick me off one day, what stops me from making a monk named RangerGate and training people every time on him just to ruin your rep? No thanks. I like to keep my name clean

I agree 100%, but that's also kinda my point. Anyone can make a name with an extra letter and be unique (ex. Rangergate vs. Rangerggate).

• 2886 posts
    December 9, 2016 8:43 AM PST

Sorry, but I don't at all see how this adds to immersion. Personally, I would be extremely disappointed to see this. Fortunately, I really cannot see VR taking immersion seriously (as they have), while also allowing for ridiculous, non-traditional names. It would lead to a ton of really stupid names, like PsYcHoKiLlEr or whatever. It's an eye-sore and if for whatever reason I want to send them a tell, I have to get the capitalization correct? No thank you. Keep those sorts of names in Runescape.

I totally understand the disappointment when the name you were planning on is already taken. I know what you mean about having an "identity." But I think that's just part of the MMO genre. You just can't get that attached to a name, as hard as it may be. If the name you want is taken, just be creative and come up with something new. Not everyone can be "Dragonslayer," or "Shade," or any of the other boring, generic names that already break immersion themselves. Your name should be truly unique. It doesn't matter how long someone intends to play when they name a character.

If it's really a problem, a better solution would be to make it so that you have to assign a surname to your character at creation and that full name is your "identity" in Terminus. Even still, I'm not sure I'd be a huge fan of that, but I'd much rather have that instead of weird symbols and capitalization.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at December 9, 2016 8:46 AM PST
    • 232 posts
    December 9, 2016 8:44 AM PST

Enitzu said:

I share this concern.   My vote is to keep the naming convention to Rangergate.  No spaces, first letter capitalized, so punctuation or special characters.  

I know the OP didnt mention punctuation other than a period, but I'd want to avoid puncatuation based names at all costs... names like:  _______xXxXxCHAOSxXxXx________ or •?((¯°·._.• ȼhą๏$ •._.·°¯))؟• and of course you know this will lead to names like 8===D.    If punctuation is opened up, there are almost too many variables and combinations to program in order to prevent abuse.  This also makes communication extremely tedious in a /tell based world.

Disclaimer: ASCII penis is for demonstration purposes only.

• 2886 posts
    December 9, 2016 8:45 AM PST

Panda said:

Enitzu said:

I agree 100%, but that's also kinda my point. Anyone can make a name with an extra letter and be unique (ex. Rangergate vs. Rangerggate).

I see what you mean. That's still better than symbols, capitals, numbers, etc.

There's no way around it. People will ALWAYS find ways to troll in online games. I remain open-minded about progressive ideas, but I think this is one area where EQ1 really did it right.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at December 9, 2016 8:50 AM PST
    • 188 posts
    December 9, 2016 8:46 AM PST

I prefer a game that sticks to high fantasy naming conventions and has a pretty strong filter to prevent significant deviation away from the context of the game.  When the character name becomes a reference to something outside the game world, a joke, or starts to fall into conventional naminig tropes of our broader internet land, I don't like it.  I'm as close to favoring a role playing rule set as there is, without actually committing to that level yet.  With a good filter, Kilaen's idea is exactly what I would like to see.  

I'm very much ready to hop back into a game where I'm not constantly playing with people whose name's are constantly bracketed by "Xx xX" or some variation of "69."

• 32 posts
    December 9, 2016 8:59 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Panda said:

Enitzu said:

There's no way around it. People will ALWAYS find ways to troll in online games. I remain open-minded about progressive ideas, but I think this is one area where EQ1 really did it right.

Yea, like I said, it's definately a personal preference. I always pick my name first, and then decide how I will spell it, depending on the choices available (unless I'm lucky enough to be the first). But, personally, I hate misspelling names. I usually always pick an altername name, but in the end, I'm never as happy with the character as I would have been had I gotten my first choice.

It's my OCD I guess.

I would name myself Panda.Pantheon before I would Pandasecondchoice.

• 2886 posts
    December 9, 2016 9:30 AM PST

Panda said:

Bazgrim said:

Panda said:

Enitzu said:

Yea, like I said, it's definately a personal preference. I always pick my name first, and then decide how I will spell it, depending on the choices available (unless I'm lucky enough to be the first). But, personally, I hate misspelling names. I usually always pick an altername name, but in the end, I'm never as happy with the character as I would have been had I gotten my first choice.

It's my OCD I guess.

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I think your suggestion just causes way more problems than it solves. That's all.

• 32 posts
    December 9, 2016 9:34 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Panda said:

Bazgrim said:

Panda said:

Enitzu said:

It's my OCD I guess.

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I think your suggestion just causes way more problems than it solves. That's all.

You might be right. I guess I'll just have to spam my login button extra fast on launch day :)

• 2886 posts
    December 9, 2016 9:39 AM PST

Panda said:

Bazgrim said:

Panda said:

Bazgrim said:

Panda said:

Enitzu said:

It's my OCD I guess.

You might be right. I guess I'll just have to spam my login button extra fast on launch day :)

That's probably your best bet haha. But why not just get a pledge tier where you can get Early Name Reservation anyway? You're already way ahead of the game (literally) by being here well before launch. There's plenty of names to go around. I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

• 32 posts
    December 9, 2016 9:41 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Panda said:

Bazgrim said:

Panda said:

Bazgrim said:

Panda said:

Enitzu said:

It's my OCD I guess.

That's probably your best bet haha. But why not just get a pledge tier where you can get Early Name Reservation anyway? You're already way ahead of the game (literally) by being here well before launch. There's plenty of names to go around. I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

Oh, I have early name res. Still keeping my fingers crossed tho that I get what I want.

• 1778 posts
    December 9, 2016 9:43 AM PST
    Still waiting on those Racial naming conventions. Particularly for Gnomes. Do they even have last names or do they all have descriptions at the end of thire names? Like Amsai the Troublemaker. Hmm I kinda actually like that one. I'm sure a couple of forum members would agree ^.^ Or Amsai the Picker. Or Amsai the Fisher. Or....... you get the idea.

Istuulamae !!!!! Make it happen bro!
    • 626 posts
    December 9, 2016 9:52 AM PST

I prefer the EQ1 style myself as well. I think it requires one to get creative without going overboard. IE - Uneek instead of Unique. 

• 189 posts
    December 9, 2016 2:45 PM PST

I too hope they keep it to the EQ1 standards, special characters and numbers make some trivial things tedious.

• 9115 posts
    December 9, 2016 4:03 PM PST

Folks, we already have several topics on this already active, so I will go ahead and close this one down, please use the search function prior to creating a new thread so we can keep all of the information and discussion consolidated and easy to find for devs and community members alike, I found these two threads by typing "Naming" into the search function.

Both General section threads for all to join in on:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1932/enforced-naming-policies

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2349/naming-conventions