Rez

Offensive Spells/DPS vs Undead

Stuns

Invisibility vs Undead

• 79 posts
    December 8, 2016 12:55 AM PST

2 things I would also add to your list is:

Fear Undead

Ability to Light up a room. Maybe an aura that would hurt undead while giving off light/warmth/anti-curse (for cold enviroments or evil enviroments?). I say anti-curse because they've said that the enviromental elements will play a large role. So I imagine there could be a cursed tomb or something along those lines that would give off a continuous debuff. A place for Clerics to shine... literally.

This post was edited by VicNuggets at December 8, 2016 12:55 AM PST
    • 79 posts
    December 9, 2016 2:35 PM PST

Don't limit clerics to simply holding a mace and a shield but never learning how to use them.  At the very least we should be better at blocking than almost anyone :)

Lets see some enhanced defensive skills even when our offense is limited in melee combat.  Parry/Block/Deflect

• 1162 posts
    December 22, 2016 12:51 PM PST

Hmmm, I never thought of that Dwyvyrn, but I think you definitely have a point.  I don't see why they couldn't have high defense and block at least.

• 12 posts
    December 24, 2016 12:21 PM PST

Agreed, if we are going to be limited with melee damage/skills in favour of the Crusader class, let's at least try to push clerics to get a decent defensive skill line that includes dodge, block, parry. Also a shield bash interrupt would be very nice. Crusader should be much more skilled melee wise and have a riposte obviously.

This post was edited by kable at December 24, 2016 12:23 PM PST
    • 262 posts
    January 10, 2017 1:35 PM PST

kable said:

Agreed, if we are going to be limited with melee damage/skills in favour of the Crusader class, let's at least try to push clerics to get a decent defensive skill line that includes dodge, block, parry. Also a shield bash interrupt would be very nice. Crusader should be much more skilled melee wise and have a riposte obviously.

From the class write up it looks like it'll favor mace and offhand tome at higher level instead of shield.  While a metal worked 30lb tome of hyms may be a great blocker able to take a few axe hits, I don't see it being easy to wield.

That said I'd love to see the cleric not take 9 hrs to kill a non undead grey con enemy.

Also, I'm loving the mental image of plate sewn rainments.  Armored monk robes ftw :)

This post was edited by Xilshale at January 10, 2017 1:35 PM PST
    • 4401 posts
    January 10, 2017 3:59 PM PST

Xilshale said:

kable said:

From the class write up it looks like it'll favor mace and offhand tome at higher level instead of shield.  While a metal worked 30lb tome of hyms may be a great blocker able to take a few axe hits, I don't see it being easy to wield.

That said I'd love to see the cleric not take 9 hrs to kill a non undead grey con enemy.

Also, I'm loving the mental image of plate sewn rainments.  Armored monk robes ftw :)

I am in favor of Clerics having very minimal melee abilities. I agree that they should be focused on defense. However, as you said, they have to have at least some sort of offensive capability (aside from anti-undead) if they get caught out on their own. In this case, I personally prefer offensive casting spells. I think that if Clerics can give life with magic, they should also be able to take life with magic. Perhaps they directly invoke the wrath of their deity to smite an enemy them deem unworthy of living. "Judgment," "Cease to Exist," "Rite of Death," "Slay the Unworthy," etc. These types of spells would be high dmg/high mana cost spells. Of course they wouldn't have very many and it wouldn't be quite as much dmg as a Wizard nuke of the same level, but still enough so that a single Cleric can feel capable of quickly killing a couple things if there's an emergency.

• 344 posts
    January 13, 2017 12:41 PM PST

I'm more in favor of some offensive magic vs offensive melee. I'm not suggesting anything along the lines of a wizard or summoner, or even an enchanter, it should definitely be weak by comparison as that is not our forte, we are healers. However, I feel that when we need to kill something that it should be more magic-based with a tome in hand.

• 9 posts
    January 13, 2017 3:04 PM PST

Self-rez buff.  An 'on-death' triggered spell that after a small delay where your corpse is undisturbed, you can rez yourself.

Or a cleric rez stone.  Hand to tank or dps or whatever, so that if you die during the fight, at least the whole group isn't screwed while waiting for you to get back to your body.  Only usable on your body.

• 164 posts
    January 13, 2017 7:01 PM PST

I would like some kind of de-agro ability.  It doesnt have to be 100%, but enough to where mobs aren't beating on you for entire fights.  If that isnt feasable perhaps heals that don't generate hate or as much hate.  Obviously these would have a longer cast time or something, but would be handy in that initial pull when you have to heal but the mobs arent under control yet. 

• 1162 posts
    January 14, 2017 6:53 AM PST

I too think that most of their offensive ability should be magical...smite spells, or whatever you want to call them.  They could have something like the Yaulp line in EverQuest.  Very powerful self-only melee buff (like a holy battle cry...paladins got it also, though later), but short duration.

• 38 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:30 AM PST

I think I saw this somewhere else, but I truly would like to be able to cast some kind of heal and/or timed buff on non-grouped players. One of the greatest pleasures was to be able to temporarily buff newbies while they ran past. :)

• 52 posts
    January 26, 2017 2:20 PM PST

I'd like some sort of faith-mechanic (since we're talking about a cleric here). When the cleric is losing faith, his spells are weaker. And when his faith is strong, they are strong too. Faith would constantly decline as soon as fight begins and you and your allies take damage. It declines especially fast if there are many debuffs on the group or if they take heavy damage, or if a group member dies or something like that.

Regaining faith would require prayers during combat, and maybe if enemies are killed.

Make playing the cleric all about not losing his faith B-).

This post was edited by sebbulba at January 26, 2017 2:33 PM PST
    • 4401 posts
    January 27, 2017 2:27 AM PST

Veranscoto said:

Self-rez buff.  An 'on-death' triggered spell that after a small delay where your corpse is undisturbed, you can rez yourself.

Or a cleric rez stone.  Hand to tank or dps or whatever, so that if you die during the fight, at least the whole group isn't screwed while waiting for you to get back to your body.  Only usable on your body.

That seems a little too risk-free. Especially if its something you can give to other players. I can perhaps see a max lvl rare ability called "Divine Intervention" that can allow you (the cleric) to rez yourself but it would have like a 24 hr cooldown or something. Anything more than that would probably be an Easy Button.

Gragorie said:

I would like some kind of de-agro ability.  It doesnt have to be 100%, but enough to where mobs aren't beating on you for entire fights.  If that isnt feasable perhaps heals that don't generate hate or as much hate.  Obviously these would have a longer cast time or something, but would be handy in that initial pull when you have to heal but the mobs arent under control yet. 

That's a good idea. Especially something that just decreases the hate that your heals generate. That way you still have to be mindful (it's not just a "Get Out of Jail Free" card), but it would still definitely come in handy.

Shucklighter said:

I too think that most of their offensive ability should be magical...smite spells, or whatever you want to call them.  They could have something like the Yaulp line in EverQuest.  Very powerful self-only melee buff (like a holy battle cry...paladins got it also, though later), but short duration.

I always thought the Yaulp line was useless garbage, even on a Paladin lol. I always preferred DD spells or something that could be cast at range, not melee. Not that I would mind some sort of melee buff that perhaps gives your weapon a big proc vs. undead (like Instrument of Nife), but it would have to have a longer duration than yaulp haha.

ariesel said:

I think I saw this somewhere else, but I truly would like to be able to cast some kind of heal and/or timed buff on non-grouped players. One of the greatest pleasures was to be able to temporarily buff newbies while they ran past. :)

Yes, from what I've read, in all likelihood, there'll be plenty of spells like that. It's a community-focused game.

sebbulba said:

I'd like some sort of faith-mechanic (since we're talking about a cleric here). When the cleric is losing faith, his spells are weaker. And when his faith is strong, they are strong too. Faith would constantly decline as soon as fight begins and you and your allies take damage. It declines especially fast if there are many debuffs on the group or if they take heavy damage, or if a group member dies or something like that.

Regaining faith would require prayers during combat, and maybe if enemies are killed.

Make playing the cleric all about not losing his faith B-).

I think you're really onto something here. That's a great idea. That would make playing a cleric more than just staring at health bars - an additional resource to manage, so to speak. Sounds like there could be some really interesting interactions with that.

• 1162 posts
    January 27, 2017 8:25 AM PST

When I played a Paladin, they didn't have much going on, so I always kept Yaulp up.  I liked it.  Then again, it's not like I was really expecting to do much damage.  My experience with Clerics in EQ is limited to low levels, and I definitely felt powerful using it then.  Not familiar with Instrument of Nife.  Is that a PoP spell?  I do like buffs that add procs, though.

The plan from two years ago was to have a Resolute Cleric specialization path which would make you more of a melee/off-tank/bubble-healing character.  That was also the specialization path that featured the pillar shield.  Not sure if this has been scrapped completely, or if they just aren't talking about it until they can see how it goes once external testing starts.

• 316 posts
    January 28, 2017 6:25 AM PST

Hello everyone!  I just wanted to take some time and chime in on some things I thought might make this class a little more interesting and fun to play. Everquest was a blast and they did a lot of things right, however, in my time amongst other MMO's, I noticed how reactionary cleric healing was in old everquest. 

By this I mean..

In some cases you just waited until a certain amount of health was gone and then popped a Complete heal.  Granted there was some heals over time which I loved btw, but there wasn't a whole lot in the way of quick short lasting damage absorber spells or self casted, short lasting, damage shields.  Instead there was Divine Aura which admittedly was very awesome and useful for yourself however unless you clicked it off it kept you out of comisson for some very important seconds of game play not to mention its long cooldown.  I don't want to change the core of Everquest because I loved it so much but I do believe there is some room for improvement so here are just a few of my suggestions and explanations why they might be useful.

Proactive healing Vs Reactive healing: 

Proactive:   Abilites that you cast before the damage is done.

Abilities like having access to a shield damage absorber (bubble) on your warrior and perhaps another type for your group so you can use it before a large damage amount is about to be dispersed. It's short lasting so you have to be smart about knowing when to pop it, but this allows the player to play smart and show their groups they know what they are doing.

Abilites like very slow ticking heal that ticks a small amount of mana as well that stacks with other mana songs and or mana buffs from other classes. Because clerics arent known as mana helping classes this should come as sort of a sacrifice to the cleric in the form of cooldown and a slight drain from your mana pool.  This can only be used once an hour or 30 mintutes and maybe only on one team member. But this ability would be useful for the special times when you know your enchanter, wizard, summoner, or shaman is gonna need that extra help, like say, for a boss fight.

Reactive:    Abilities that you cast after the damage is already done.  

First let me just say I'm not against these types of spells at all, I love them just as much and I think there is a place for them as well as pre-imptive healing, but I think it would be especially nice if we could combine these two into a beautiful marriage.  That said, here are some ideas.

Fast heal over time that pulsates a hate reducer, I say this because generally when a cleric needs that oh crap heal it's because things are about to get ugly and thats when you need the hate reducer the most because thats when your support casters are working overtime and they usually just happen to be the glass cannons. Clerics should serve a good use to our scantily clad heros and work symbotically with their team.

Abilites that allow you to pull someone (in short range) to you that allows a break in aggro off them so that the warrior can regain aggro.  This spell would compliment other classes and promotes teamwork and the ability to shine within your group.  IMO, all classes should have an ability they can use occasionally that makes them shine not just what we come to expect from the class, but abilities that when used properly make you go "Wow." "What I just saw was awesome."

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  I'm really looking forward to other people's thoughts an opinions on these matters as well.  I can't wait to see you all in game!

This post was edited by Gamerchick at January 28, 2017 6:48 AM PST
    • 1162 posts
    January 28, 2017 7:19 AM PST

I think Gamerchick's ideas for abilities that reduce the threat of others are pretty neat.  I'm just unsure whether I'd want it to be clerics, tanks, or someone else that has them.

• 4401 posts
    January 30, 2017 6:28 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

When I played a Paladin, they didn't have much going on, so I always kept Yaulp up.  I liked it.  Then again, it's not like I was really expecting to do much damage.  My experience with Clerics in EQ is limited to low levels, and I definitely felt powerful using it then.  Not familiar with Instrument of Nife.  Is that a PoP spell?  I do like buffs that add procs, though.

The plan from two years ago was to have a Resolute Cleric specialization path which would make you more of a melee/off-tank/bubble-healing character.  That was also the specialization path that featured the pillar shield.  Not sure if this has been scrapped completely, or if they just aren't talking about it until they can see how it goes once external testing starts.

Instrument of Nife came out in Luclin. It felt very powerful. The proc went off surprisingly often and it was always exciting when it did. It was only for paladins, but I wouldn't mind clerics having something similar, if they really feel obligated to give clerics some sort of melee dps boost.

I also like Gamerchick's ideas. I agree that it should be much more complex than just learning how to time your Complete Heals. I want it to be much more chaotic and I want to be the glue that it is holding it all together lol. I think even in slower paced combat, there still needs to be a way for clerics to have their clutch moments. Slower combat doesn't have to mean boring, or even just more strategic. It needs to be undeniably obvious when one cleric is more skilled than another. Even if they are the same level and have the same gear, if one has faster reflexes and/or more experience in a particular raid, that should make a difference. I live for the moments where your group is like "wow, if we had any other healer, we would have failed." :)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 30, 2017 6:39 AM PST
    • 1162 posts
    January 30, 2017 9:57 AM PST

Bazgrim said:
    Instrument of Nife came out in Luclin. It felt very powerful. The proc went off surprisingly often and it was always exciting when it did. It was only for paladins, but I wouldn't mind clerics having something similar, if they really feel obligated to give clerics some sort of melee dps boost.

I also like Gamerchick's ideas. I agree that it should be much more complex than just learning how to time your Complete Heals. I want it to be much more chaotic and I want to be the glue that it is holding it all together lol. I think even in slower paced combat, there still needs to be a way for clerics to have their clutch moments. Slower combat doesn't have to mean boring, or even just more strategic. It needs to be undeniably obvious when one cleric is more skilled than another. Even if they are the same level and have the same gear, if one has faster reflexes and/or more experience in a particular raid, that should make a difference. I live for the moments where your group is like "wow, if we had any other healer, we would have failed." :)

Ah, okay.  That makes sense.  I remember now that Rangers got Jolting Blades at that time.

The more I think about what Gamerchick said, the more I think the targeted threat-reduction abilities fit the cleric.  I think they would have to be on a long recast, though.  If not, you'll end up managing everyone's threat for them and people will never learn how to play.

• 10 posts
    March 7, 2017 5:34 AM PST

I played a cleric in EQ and Priest in WOW.  i really like having a dual spec for shadow.  I know we wont get a dual spec, but for a wish list, some shadow spells or a way to dps.  Groups would often take 2 of the same class, even 2 druids or 2 shamans - but never 2 clerics.  Was in nice in WOW to be able to go shadwo if group already had a heal preist in the same group

• 5 posts
    October 14, 2017 1:47 PM PDT

Personally I really wish they would create a Priest Class.

Priest would not be wearing plate and would be the holy spell caster, heals, smites(nukes) etc. Tomes and staffs and such for this class.

Cleric could then be a much more melee oriented healer. Shields, plate, meleeish abilities etc.

Druids and shamans are both great, but their toolkits are much more nature than holy.

• 1173 posts
    October 16, 2017 4:54 PM PDT

I mained a cleric in eq for quite some time and also a holy paladin for years in Wow.  Looking towards playing a cleric again, I would defintely love some sort of aggro drop, fade in wow was a 100% aggro reduction for a short time, so while it's not indefinite, in most cases you tank should be able to clear up the mess.

I really think clerics should get some sort of long duration recast battle rez, maybe 2 to 3 hours or even longer before being about to use it again.

Lastly for myself personally,  I would love to see a temporary buff that slowly reduces aggro from an individual, again, nothing crazy but something where it can be used in a pickle instead of just dropping heals on dps.

• 130 posts
    October 19, 2017 12:31 PM PDT

I'd like the look to be  more unique than a plate wearing guy with a mace. Id actually like something more along my profile pic as armor, still plate but with a lot of cloth robe mix in it. On top of this I'd like to see the tome have more animation than other games. Just holding it in your offhand feels weird. I'd love to see a cleric who opens his book and recites prayers when he casts. Or a cleric who pulls out and uses his hammer to strike down the heathen with offensive abilities! Animation is probably not the top priority I know but I am a fan of the look of my guy.

This post was edited by zendrel at October 19, 2017 12:32 PM PDT
    • 1173 posts
    October 21, 2017 6:55 PM PDT

zendrel said:

I'd like the look to be  more unique than a plate wearing guy with a mace. Id actually like something more along my profile pic as armor, still plate but with a lot of cloth robe mix in it. On top of this I'd like to see the tome have more animation than other games. Just holding it in your offhand feels weird. I'd love to see a cleric who opens his book and recites prayers when he casts. Or a cleric who pulls out and uses his hammer to strike down the heathen with offensive abilities! Animation is probably not the top priority I know but I am a fan of the look of my guy.

If they do the plate armor correctly, it will look amazing.  If they just make it match what a warrior or paladin is wearing, then yea, itll be boring!  I dont mind the cloth wearing clerics, and if i was wearing cloth, i would imagine i would have a book!  But if im in plate, give me a shield, please!

• 145 posts
    November 22, 2017 3:40 AM PST

perhaps a selforiented spell like holy retribution when a mob hits you he get some shock damage and insted of getting more aggro you get the oposite like dont toutch me you get damage if you do ><