Forums » The Summoner

The importance of the Pet to a pet class

• 123 posts
    March 22, 2015 1:15 PM PDT

IMO a low level quest for focus items.  The pet being the critical focus for the mage, it makes sense that the lowbie quests for the class be centered around pet focus items, similar to the broom/shovel/stein/torch.  And then later on imo you should have the rare drops similar to the staves off innoruuk and phinny.

I like the idea of having a monster pet.  I mean really really like.  I am personally a fan of the idea of starting stats.  And I would think it'd be awesome for a summoner to have a stat for their pet.  20% of their damage/utility comes from their pet, with each point put in raising it by 10 or 15% say?  Make it 5 points so in theory a person could dump all 5 points into their pet, 5x15% = 75% + the original 20% = 95%.  Doing so effects the size and tiers/spell lines available to each pet type.  Or first 3 points for spells, 4th for armor, and 5th for level potential?

Shrug, I guess I would just like the concept of a mage who can dedicate himself to conjuring fully and gets a perk, to control his pets directly possibly.  The idea of sacreficing something to become greater at another is appealing - forgoe fire/air pets and get to have stronger water/earth and possibly a mud golem later on.

I agree with others that alot of games take the easy way out by making it just manual dot you have to micro manage, and it seems like a missed opportunity to put a new flavor on an old favorite. 

• 166 posts
    November 2, 2015 4:01 AM PST

Thatd be pretty neat.

• 2 posts
    December 7, 2015 7:10 PM PST

Hmm i like that as well maybe have a timed buff that combines the caster and it's pet into a more powerful version for a duration. aka Efreet would change into Efreet Lord or something in that realm.

This post was edited by Riseer at December 7, 2015 7:11 PM PST
    • 1885 posts
    January 7, 2016 6:13 PM PST

I like your idea of mixing elementals at the sacrifice of others, or other "talents" to combine into like the mud golem. or add in what Riseer said , combining Air and Fire for a temporary, but limited duration Sirocco pet. Or Earth and fire for the deadly Lava pet.  

• 41 posts
    March 13, 2016 3:41 PM PDT

I would definitely like the idea of a pet focus item or something similar to like what we had in EQ to give a baseline boost to the pet's power. This would be helpful to prevent having to buff the pet continuously plus it adds a dimension of gear sets possibly. I would love to see situational builds and gear sets we could use, maybe one with a pet focus item that headlines it and then other gear that has pet boosts or boosts to pet buffs/complementing skills. Then we could have another set or two that will be better suited to our spell damage, a caster pet, or particular environments (since it was mentioned we'll likely need to try different gear and/or spells and skills for certain environments) if we find ourselves in a situation where the pet cannot be used or melee pet damage is diminished.

I'm also very interested in the above suggestion of combining elements to possibly sacrifice it for a stronger pet of another element or to maybe make an enhancement to the current pet. I'm still holding out hope the Summoner will be a true pet class that is defined by our pets more than anything else. 

• 194 posts
    March 19, 2016 9:10 AM PDT

I would truly like to see the pet focus items brought into the summoner class for sure. This was a neat and nice edtion to EQ when they brought them in. Perhaps even like the mage epic that would summon a stronger focused pet. I never seen anything better for pet classes in other games of late. EQ I think really made this important to the player and gave you somethign to work on. You were far more invested and dedicated to your class. This is what mmos today are lacking and quite frankly ditched for DPS weapons and armor rather than working on base stats of your character and stats for your pets.

• 108 posts
    March 21, 2016 10:10 PM PDT

Call me crazy, but I actually don't want the summoner to be a pet class in the traditional sense.  When I hear the word "Summoner" I instantly think of a mage or wizard who practices the arts of summoning.  Not so much a pact-master but like someone who calls in wild beasts or extra planar creatures to fight - sometimes against their will.

I see a summoner walking into battle alone and then suddenly minions, hundreds of them.

I want the summoner to be less of a DPS class and more of an area denial class.  His combat role dedicated to filling choke points with wolves, elementals, minotaurs, and all manner of creature large and small, mundane and magical.

In short, I don't want to manage a pet, I want to summon.

• 1885 posts
    March 22, 2016 5:55 PM PDT

Gurt said:

like someone who calls in wild beasts or extra planar creatures to fight - sometimes against their will.

I see a summoner walking into battle alone and then suddenly minions, hundreds of them.

I want the summoner to be less of a DPS class and more of an area denial class.  His combat role dedicated to filling choke points with wolves, elementals, minotaurs, and all manner of creature large and small, mundane and magical.

I get it, so, how would the game dynamic work? If you summon something against their will would it be like once the fight was over, the summone dthing would be free and then start attacking you? Or perhaps in a Douglas Adams/ hitchhickers guide sort of thing where you summon a whale to block the entrance, the whale dies- but still blocks the entrance...forever... and you suffer some lingering mana drain/sluggish effect for a period of time? Or if you summoned a flock of birds- whatever is in the area they would swarm and do each 1 pt of damage untill they all died? or bees. Like you could not cast the spell unless you noticed bees in the environment? or the randomness of monkeys, sometimes hey attack, sometimes thet dont, sometimes they hang on you, sometimes they bother other players, but are freakishly strong.  That kind of summoning?

• 108 posts
    April 14, 2016 3:37 PM PDT

Manouk said:

Gurt said:

like someone who calls in wild beasts or extra planar creatures to fight - sometimes against their will.

I get it, so, how would the game dynamic work? If you summon something against their will would it be like once the fight was over, the summone dthing would be free and then start attacking you? Or perhaps in a Douglas Adams/ hitchhickers guide sort of thing where you summon a whale to block the entrance, the whale dies- but still blocks the entrance...forever... and you suffer some lingering mana drain/sluggish effect for a period of time? Or if you summoned a flock of birds- whatever is in the area they would swarm and do each 1 pt of damage untill they all died? or bees. Like you could not cast the spell unless you noticed bees in the environment? or the randomness of monkeys, sometimes hey attack, sometimes thet dont, sometimes they hang on you, sometimes they bother other players, but are freakishly strong.  That kind of summoning?

Yeah, more or less.  

The D&D summon monster spells I feel are a pretty good place to start.  In D&D the player chooses an animal or monster (or swarm/flock) and summons a number of that creature to the fight on his side that the player controls.  The creatures persist for a short time before blinking back to where they were summoned from.  

In a video game having weaker spells just give you a pack of allies and stronger spells give you potentially dangerous creatures could be really, really fun.  Imangine dealing with a tough boss but not being able to breathe because the chimeras, gryphons, and minotaurs are now going wild on the group for another 10 - 15 seconds.  Having a chance for the spell compelling the creatures to fight for you to break could also be fun and be the limiter to how much a summoner wants to risk summoning at a time.  

Blocking a route of attack in a dungeon with semi-allied, rampaging elephants or a huge murder of crows just sounds amazingly fun to me.

Also, I will now be extremely disappointed if BEES! is not at least a damage over time spell.

• 38 posts
    April 14, 2016 6:24 PM PDT

I could see this going badly in important boss or raid boss fights. These summoned beasts will have health bars like everything, and probably wouldn't be able to tank. If you can't control each individually, what happens when they get cleaved by a boss mechanic because of lack of control of these?

I could see that class falling by the wayside when it came to damage output in many fights that have mechanics or AOE damage when summoning beasts or monsters.

Just some thoughts.

• 41 posts
    April 14, 2016 6:55 PM PDT

It will definitely be cause for concern on raids, as I highly doubt a raid leader is going to let semi-uncontrollable pets roam free. Even controllable pets are hated in most raid situations, which is why I'm hoping we at least have some decent stable dps permanent pets/decent nukes or can be used to summon utility spells or defensive skills at the least to give us some viability in raid situations.

• 14 posts
    August 5, 2016 12:27 PM PDT

I do like the idea of summoning pets that are relevant to your current area.  Thus pets only that would be available in that region would be available to you and are temporary once you log. 

I see VR is looking to make the enviornment more pertinent to the play and this would be one of the things they could do to align the fight with the environment.   

Cheers

Godzilla