Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Expansion idea

• 86 posts
    October 13, 2016 3:15 PM PDT

In advance of an expansion, newly placed perception triggers unlock additional lore, this lore is only decipherable by highly skilled lorekeepers who point adventurers in the right direction to finish the lore quest, which unlocks an expansion boss.  The expansion boss could be tweaked per server to only be defeatable thru guild cooperation, forcing usually competitive guilds to team up.   As soon as this expansion boss is defeated the new expansion unlocks on that server to those who purchase it.  The expansion boss could also be a single guild difficulty raid in the new expansion or a one time event. 

• 49 posts
    October 13, 2016 3:18 PM PDT
    Lmao coach lorekeepers aren't even a thing yet and hopefully if they are they won't have any effect over my life as a lore hater
    • 86 posts
    October 13, 2016 3:27 PM PDT

Lorekeepers have always been a thing Lodgedogg.  I was never a huge lore guy either but I ran into plenty of players in EQ who had vast knowledge of EQ lore and could explain the world to other players.  But we can just call it an expansion quest if you like.

• 27 posts
    October 13, 2016 3:40 PM PDT

I like the idea of implementing some story elements and encounters leading up to an expansion.  Sounds like it would be a cool way to hype people up for an expansion as opposed to a trailer with 8 seconds of gameplay.

As long as the Dev's are careful to not provide a mechanism for unsavory guilds to lock people out of content indefinitely, I'm on board.

Seems kind of early to talk about an expansion, though, right?  Might as well just start brainstorming for Pantheon II.

• 3016 posts
    October 13, 2016 4:04 PM PDT

Lore is the whole reason behind the game world..its why the game exists.  Roleplay is part of that to a large or lesser degree depending what your interests are.   Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplay Game.    Pvp is a form of roleplay,  assigning your character a name, a class and a name is part of roleplay.  Participating in a game world is roleplay. We roleplay because we are acting out our own version of the world (game) story line.  :)   Whether you are a raider, hunter, crafter, etc.   Make believe.  :)

• 27 posts
    October 13, 2016 4:22 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

Lore is the whole reason behind the game world..its why the game exists.  Roleplay is part of that to a large or lesser degree depending what your interests are.   Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplay Game.    Pvp is a form of roleplay,  assigning your character a name, a class and a name is part of roleplay.  Participating in a game world is roleplay. We roleplay because we are acting out our own version of the world (game) story line.  :)   Whether you are a raider, hunter, crafter, etc.   Make believe.  :)

You can still play a roleplaying game without being a lore-nut in much the same way you can live your life without caring about history class or reading newspapers every day.  I can certainly understand why some people just want to play the game without having to sift through tons of flavor text.  I'm somewhere in between if I'm being honest.

• 3016 posts
    October 13, 2016 4:45 PM PDT

Lucid said:

CanadinaXegony said:

You can still play a roleplaying game without being a lore-nut in much the same way you can live your life without caring about history class or reading newspapers every day.  I can certainly understand why some people just want to play the game without having to sift through tons of flavor text.  I'm somewhere in between if I'm being honest.

Didn't say you had to be a lore nut...I am certainly not...but Pantheon is:    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen takes place on the high-fantasy world of Terminus, a wildly diverse land formed from fragments of many different realms and times, bringing with them their unique civilizations and deities. Explore long lost realms, as their people and cultures vie for power and form alliances, struggling to gain a foothold in an unfamiliar world. Uncover civilizations and awe-inspiring locales that offer incredible adventures for you and your friends to experience. Enter a world where the environment itself tells the story and where content is always king!

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at October 13, 2016 4:46 PM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    October 13, 2016 4:51 PM PDT

No lore means no reason for being,  no adventures, no quests, no epic quests.   There are stories behind everything.     That is my point.   Vanguard had Diplomacy...lots of lore there.  Lore tells you about factions and why they are for or against other factions.   Lots of places in the game world where lore exists.   Yes you can ignore it...that's your choice.  Lore tells you about starter cities..what happens there,  why your class or race does "such and such" an action,  is friendly, neutral or evil. 

• 27 posts
    October 13, 2016 5:22 PM PDT

I guess I'm missing your point.  It seemed to me like you were trying to tell Lodgedogg that lore should be important to him and that playing a roleplaying game without enjoying it's lore makes no sense.  I was making a case against that line of thinking.  I guess this wasn't the case?  Maybe you were just trying to explain what lore is?  I don't know...

Anyway, not trying to derail the thread or start a flame war here.

This post was edited by Lucid at October 13, 2016 5:46 PM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    October 13, 2016 5:36 PM PDT

I'm an explainer not trying to tell him how to play his game :)  Lore covers most things ingame ..not advocating roleplay..the gaming world is a world of make believe..up to you or anyone how you proceed. :)

• 633 posts
    October 13, 2016 6:04 PM PDT

EverQuest had events leading up to some of its expansions, somewhat like you're saying.  The ones I remember most were the events and storyline leading up to the Luclin expansion.

• 2419 posts
    October 13, 2016 7:14 PM PDT

Lore can be a very enjoyable part of the game and many people like to immerse themselves into the lore more than other aspects of the game, but to give those people control over if/when the next expansion becomes open to the general population?  Umm...no thanks. Just because you want to play in the lore part of the game should not inhibit or hamper my progression through the game.

I enjoy lore, I enjoy learning of the history of races, of the conflicts between factions, of the various gods, dieties and belief systems but even I don't want that small part of the game to be required for the entire population to progress.  Why people keep trying to force their gameplay focus into the forefront of everyone elses approach to the game is beyond me and getting annoying. The there is this question: Who here thinks they will be the lorekeeper that somehow unlocks and expansion for everyone and become the hereo of the server?  You?  Odds are not you or anybody you know.  It's gonna be the guy in the top raid guild of the server and he/she wont be doing it for the betterment of the server, of that you can be sure.

• 3016 posts
    October 13, 2016 7:38 PM PDT

Indeed one person or guild shouldn't hold sway over everyone else because they are whatever class or tradeskill or raiding status.   That would bottleneck quickly...and those of us who played EQ1 in the old days,  know what it feels like to have content withheld from say smaller guilds or groups, due to large guilds sitting like brooding hens on epic quest camps for months on end.    That causes resentment and eventually people leave.

• 86 posts
    October 13, 2016 8:39 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Why people keep trying to force their gameplay focus into the forefront of everyone elses approach to the game is beyond me and getting annoying.

Who is forcing anything on anybody? 

• 63 posts
    October 13, 2016 8:58 PM PDT

EverQuest and Vanguard were replete with lore, and the developers of Pantheon have been unequivocal in stating their belief that this game aims to deliver an immersive experience. Without stating my perspective on lorekeepers, I do not share the belief that lore and the gaming experience should be kept separate. In fact, I imagine one would be hard-pressed to find sympathy to the contrary here on that matter. This isn't the game to please people who don't care about lore, which is an integral part of what makes a world immersive. There are other games for that.

• 902 posts
    October 14, 2016 11:15 AM PDT

Lodgedogg said: Lmao coach lorekeepers aren't even a thing yet and hopefully if they are they won't have any effect over my life as a lore hater

First, I am really not trying to be crytical and I really am trying to understand...

I know people play games for a wide variety of reasons, but why would you play a game that describes itself has heavily laden with lore if lore is of no interest to you?

There are loads and loads of games where lore is thrown in for anyone who cares to read, but doesnt really effect anything much game wise and most players click through the quest giver's dialogue or books or cut scenes as quickly as possible and in most games the story is of little relevance. It is all about xp and getting through levels as fast as possible and not about getting involved with the game lore.

True RPGs are all about playing a role in a fantasy world, participating and competing in that world. Without knowing about the lore and participating in that lore, then you really are not role playing. From everything I have read from the developers vision, this is a game is a huge story, tons and tons of lore all over the place. It is to be savoured, and be immersed in. The lore is there to help in preparation for your next adventrure and in progressing the story. The lore explains everything in the world. So the question is, Lodgedogg if you are not taking part in the main point of the game, what are you looking for from it (I really hope I dont sound condescending, I really am not trying to be, I am actually interested in what you want to get from the game)?

• 49 posts
    October 14, 2016 11:38 AM PDT

chenzeme said:

Lodgedogg said: Lmao coach lorekeepers aren't even a thing yet and hopefully if they are they won't have any effect over my life as a lore hater

First, I am really not trying to be crytical and I really am trying to understand...

I know people play games for a wide variety of reasons, but why would you play a game that describes itself has heavily laden with lore if lore is of no interest to you?

There are loads and loads of games where lore is thrown in for anyone who cares to read, but doesnt really effect anything much game wise and most players click through the quest giver's dialogue or books or cut scenes as quickly as possible and in most games the story is of little relevance. It is all about xp and getting through levels as fast as possible and not about getting involved with the game lore.

True RPGs are all about playing a role in a fantasy world, participating and competing in that world. Without knowing about the lore and participating in that lore, then you really are not role playing. From everything I have read from the developers vision, this is a game is a huge story, tons and tons of lore all over the place. It is to be savoured, and be immersed in. The lore is there to help in preparation for your next adventrure and in progressing the story. The lore explains everything in the world. So the question is, Lodgedogg if you are not taking part in the main point of the game, what are you looking for from it (I really hope I dont sound condescending, I really am not trying to be, I am actually interested in what you want to get from the game)?

See you play the game for lore and whatnot and i play the game to meet some cool people, kill some cool mobs and get some sweet gear as i spend hours grinding and exploring new places. I play my role in a group by mastering my class and being the best i possibly can at it, it sounds like you dont think this is roleplaying but i do and thats why i play the games. I loved eq not because it had great or or i roleplayed, i loved it because i had a great time, met some cool friends and killed some really cool and fun mobs. The best lore imo came from vague epic quest hints that drove the community to work together to figure them out by helping each other and posting on the forum of what has been tried and evenutally what worked for the quest.

• 902 posts
    October 14, 2016 11:46 AM PDT

Lodgedogg: I play my role in a group by mastering my class and being the best i possibly can at it, it sounds like you dont think this is roleplaying but i do and thats why i play the games.

I agree that learning the role completely is roleplaying.

Lodgedogg: The best lore imo came from vague epic quest hints that drove the community to work together to figure them out by helping each other and posting on the forum of what has been tried and evenutally what worked for the quest.

Totally agree with this.

Guess we are not that far apart. Lol!

• 49 posts
    October 14, 2016 11:57 AM PDT

i just dont want people who like to read every book in every library in the game to have a large influence on my server or make it a requirement of something i have to do to be the best i can be at my class

• 2419 posts
    October 14, 2016 6:19 PM PDT

coach said:

Vandraad said:

Why people keep trying to force their gameplay focus into the forefront of everyone elses approach to the game is beyond me and getting annoying.

Key word in my post was 'trying'.  By bringing it up it is clear that would be something they want so their post is an attempt to sway the opinion of the developers to their viewpoint...thus TRYING to force their gameplay focus onto everyone else's version of enjoyment.

• 3016 posts
    October 14, 2016 6:23 PM PDT

coach said:

Vandraad said:

I really think the Devs will choose what fits with their vision..and not be swayed by random ideas that float by.   I'll give them a little more credit :)

• 3016 posts
    October 14, 2016 6:26 PM PDT

Lodgedogg said:

i just dont want people who like to read every book in every library in the game to have a large influence on my server or make it a requirement of something i have to do to be the best i can be at my class

Understandable...and if they have ruleset servers for pvp,  and or roleplay...then people can choose not to participate in something they don't like.   I usually don't join roleplay servers unless all the other ones are packed full.   

• 86 posts
    October 14, 2016 11:18 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

coach said:

Vandraad said:

Key word in my post was 'trying'.  By bringing it up it is clear that would be something they want so their post is an attempt to sway the opinion of the developers to their viewpoint...thus TRYING to force their gameplay focus onto everyone else's version of enjoyment.

I thought it was an attractive idea and was interested in community feedback.  While ideas in these forums might be brought to dev's attention if they are worthy I see these boards as more of a community growing/fostering tool and I like feeling a part of that.

• 2 posts
    October 18, 2016 3:09 PM PDT

Any expansion should involve Iksars or some type of humanoid lizard race. :D

• 294 posts
    October 18, 2016 4:16 PM PDT

I like the OP idea and would love to see something like this in actual play leading up to an expansion. It should be something that the players have to unlock. The group or team that accomplishes that task unlocks the expansion for all, but receives boucou props for doing so. Perhaps they should even receive some secrete lore or hint to help them pave the way for all those who will follow. Maybe they receive a special buff that lasts an entire month, or a recurring special buff that they can share with others, proving that they were there on that day when the world broke open and new realms were revealed.