Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Specific size of armor

• 151 posts
    September 28, 2016 3:06 PM PDT

I was reading the post about loot drops and it reminded me that in EQ1 there were diffrent sizes of armor. Would you folks like to see that return?

I think it was size based armor, race based armor, and class based armor.

• 613 posts
    September 28, 2016 3:16 PM PDT

Hi Max,

I thnk this was a question on another thread.  I put it below.  I think its a valid question.  What is VR going to do with this?

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3650/armor-and-such

Ox

• 211 posts
    September 28, 2016 5:40 PM PDT

I would love to see the race/class specific armor ala EQ in Pantheon!

• 9115 posts
    September 28, 2016 7:49 PM PDT

It is slightly different to the other thread so I will leave it open for discussion, even though a lot fo it will be repeated in both.

It is a valid question too but we are just not quite at that stage of development to speak about it, we will have some character model updates shortly but armour and weapons etc. will be a little way off yet as they get done near the end of a characters development.

• 624 posts
    September 28, 2016 7:52 PM PDT

Not really worried about armor sizing as long as my silk pajamas fit properly.  A bard has to be comfortable in bed, just saying...

• 58 posts
    September 29, 2016 7:32 AM PDT

Honestly hope they stick with the armor size. Just doesn't make any sense if you kill an orger and the armor that drops is worn right away by your dwarf warrior.

Same for swords too if an orger is welding a customer 2 handed sword I don't see a dwarf weldingredients it as the size and weight of it could be just too much for a dwarf to actually use it.

• 151 posts
    September 29, 2016 9:37 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

It is slightly different to the other thread so I will leave it open for discussion, even though a lot fo it will be repeated in both.

It is a valid question too but we are just not quite at that stage of development to speak about it, we will have some character model updates shortly but armour and weapons etc. will be a little way off yet as they get done near the end of a characters development.

Ya, I was really trying to discuss the merits of having diffrent sized gear. Is it too bothersom to worry about? Does it add a realism twist that you appreciate? I wanted to have a discussion about SIZE specifically, not really racial armor etc.. as was mentioned, it has already been discussed.

I personally remember farming the gnoll skin set from ToFS in velious for a friends monk. He wanted to be all black. Due to him being Iksar we had to farm for a looong time to get all of the right sized pieces.

• 1584 posts
    September 29, 2016 10:49 AM PDT

I Say there should be different sizes, obv at end game some pieces will fit all like the Mithril BP off of Telkanear in ToV does and such just so they didnt have to make 3 different BP with similair stats for different sizes, but i tihnk this should definately impact tradeskills, and common drops off certain mobs like if you are killing human bandits they should drop gear that resemble there size obv human and whoever is around there same size, cuase if he drops a lets say "Rusty Breastplate" wouldnt make a lot of sense if a Ogre could wear it, that would be like trying to squeeze an egg through an ant hole.

• 1281 posts
    September 29, 2016 11:51 AM PDT

From a roleplaying perspective I think having small armor for Gnomes, medium armor for Humans, and large armor for Ogres makes sense. It doesn't make sense that an Ogre would wear armor made for a Dwarf. Original EQ did this to some extent.

My concern about this is that it would mean more time would go into developing items. Rather than developing 1 item that can be worn by every race of that class or every class of that race, you must say we need to design 3x the amount of armor becuase you have small, medium, and large races to worry about.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at September 29, 2016 11:51 AM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    September 29, 2016 12:32 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

From a roleplaying perspective I think having small armor for Gnomes, medium armor for Humans, and large armor for Ogres makes sense. It doesn't make sense that an Ogre would wear armor made for a Dwarf. Original EQ did this to some extent.

My concern about this is that it would mean more time would go into developing items. Rather than developing 1 item that can be worn by every race of that class or every class of that race, you must say we need to design 3x the amount of armor becuase you have small, medium, and large races to worry about.

They Also made it to wear you knew what to farm, as in wolf or small, lion for medium, and bear for large races, and they did the same thing with blacksmithing as well, and like i said i can see at end game, this should be tuned down a bit since we dont want to see 3 different pieces almost identical but supports different races due to size.  But for Tradeskills purposes it has it to where you know what your making and who your making it for.  You are right it would take up a bit more time, but id say things like a good tank piece were to drop in a high lvl dungeon that only supports tanks should be worn by all races supporting that class, that why it makes it easier on the devs and for the people wanting said item.

• 151 posts
    September 29, 2016 12:57 PM PDT

Following that line of thinking.. what if the Fungi tunic was small only? Or the Cobalt armor line was Medium only?

• 1584 posts
    September 29, 2016 1:56 PM PDT

Maximis said:

Following that line of thinking.. what if the Fungi tunic was small only? Or the Cobalt armor line was Medium only?

You didn't read my whole post i said Tradeskill items were race specific and the other drops like tank specific and such were entitled to anyone who could become that class or it can be an all/all items out there just like there were in EQ1, or int user only or healer only, its all going to mix in together, the only class i saw you got poked around the most were the paladins, lol but thats a whole another story.

• 1281 posts
    September 29, 2016 8:24 PM PDT

You bring up a good point about tradeskills. By putting specific sizing on tradeskill items the concern I had with development time is eliminated. Players would then be the ones spending time creating items of different sizes.