Forums » The Wizard

Masters of Time and Space

• 252 posts
    September 24, 2016 10:52 AM PDT

After another great Voice of Terminus episode focusing on wizards, some really cool ideas sprung up that I feel deserved to be mentioned here, obviously with a touch of my own influence. The discussion primarily focused around two questions:

1) What kind of spells should wizards have?
    2) How can we impart more group utility to the class?

Before addressing these questions, it's important to outline how I view wizards. I've always seen wizards as the scholars of the magical nature of the universe in which they live. They are the magical fantasy world's physicists if you will, and the magical properties of the universe are derived from "Arcane" energies. These arcane energies are intimately interwoven between all aspects of the universe; matter, space-time, mana, and the fundamental forces. As arcane masters, I would love to see spells themed around these aspects. With this theme, most of the original EQ spells are conserved, but now they just make more sense.

Here are some examples:
    Ice Comet - Gravitationally pull a celestial body from space to crush your oponent.
    Ultraviolet Catastrophe - The wizard becomes a perfect absorber of the arcane and emits a devistating amount of energy at his enemies.
    Thermal Radiation - The wizard excites molecules creating extreme teperatures and radiates them towards the enemy.
    Heat Transfer - Thermal energy is rapidly pulled from an enemy causing cold damage.
    Nuclear Fissure - The wizard splits atoms nearby enemies causing a massive explosion of energy.

As far as utility goes:
    Wormhole - Travel great distances instantaneously by folding space-time. (the Wizard's port)
    Singularity - The wizard creates a space-time singularity. Enemies are pulled to one location and held there for a duration. 
    Electromagnetic Flux - The wizard collects all nearby light and refocuses it toward enemies. Enemies are blinded having an increases chance to miss melee attacks.

My favorites:
    Time Warp - The wizard creates a localized atmosphere which slows enemies' projectile speed, movement speed, and attack speed.
    Optical Disruption - The wizard creates an localized atmosphere in which visible light bends around. Allies within the atmosphere are invisible.
    Conservation of Energy
     - The wizard evenly distributes the group's mana.
    Conservation of Mass - The wizard evenly distributes the group's weight.

What do you guys think?

This post was edited by Syntro at September 24, 2016 10:55 AM PDT
    • 75 posts
    September 24, 2016 2:20 PM PDT

I like your wiz !

It changes from the classic bi-elemental caster (ice / fire). Guys from VoT are right, the wizard is the master of magical knowledge (it will be fun with the perception). And it seems logic that he could alter time, space even matter.

In eq2 he could give some of his mana to someone, it was one of the rare true magical spell with the cure magic and maybe his root (or it was ice base spell ?). As you said in the show guys, the wizard should be more than a nuker and have at least one or two utility spells. Some sort of telekinesy could be interesting too but it's sound more like a mind trick. Anyway, i prefer your approach to design him more like a scientist of magic. 

In that case, i was wondering something, what type of dmg a spell like "nuclear fissure" will be ? my though is about ennemy's resitance. Simply magic or arcane type ? (your topic is starting me to think about resist / class type dmg).

• 252 posts
    September 24, 2016 9:46 PM PDT

catharsis said:
     Anyway, i prefer your approach to design him more like a scientist of magic.

Oh man, that description is perfect. If they make wizards scientists of magic rather than elemental damage nukers, my class crisis is over and I'll instantaneously role a wizard/gnome and never look back.

catharsis said:
    In that case, i was wondering something, what type of dmg a spell like "nuclear fissure" will be ?

Hmm, yeah interesting question. My original though was to just give them their own mana color of arcane "purple" to avoid headaches. It would be interesting though if the matter manipulating spells would just do physical damage. That'd be really interesting to have a caster class that does physical spell damage. Nuclear fissure would be both physical because the enemies would feel environmental shockwaves and heat damage as thermal energy is also emitted.

Now that I think about it, that could be the wizards uniqueness as a caster! Every spell does some (elemental dmg) + (physical damage)! You could never perfectly counter them because their spell always does two damage types! How neat!

This post was edited by Syntro at September 24, 2016 9:49 PM PDT
    • 99 posts
    September 25, 2016 3:32 PM PDT

During the VoT wizard stream someone expanded on the idea that wizards were the masters of pure magic by suggesting that buffs could be 'purified' by casting them thru a wizard.  I could picture a wizard casting 'Purify Magic', putting the wizard into a trance, accepting incoming buffs spells, refining their magic, and then distributing them to the group with enhanced potency or extended duration.  This seemed like an interesting idea for a class that could use a bit of utility.   

• 424 posts
    September 29, 2016 12:32 AM PDT

I was thinking very similar things just recently. Wizards have traditionally been elemental damage dealers, but why elemental? I suspect it's because early on in fantasy wizard design, people thought similar things as you and connected wizards with manipulators of primal, essential energy - and that energy could be classified into the four broad elements, as (I think) ancient peoples have done, especially in some eastern (?) systems of philosophy. Anyway, it made some sense to connect wizards with fire/water/air/earth because those were ways developers could express the wizard's control over the essential energy of the universe.

But it'd be awesome if the devs could illustrate wizards' connections to deep universal energy by designing abilities that seemed to control that even before it becomes fire/water/air/earth - like changing the energy itself into different forms. This is what you're calling arcane, and that rocks - I like the idea of a different, purple color mana to differentiate it and make it simpler. Big kudos to Brad and the original EQ team for giving wizards teleport and making it the way it was - that definitely illustrated the class as "arcane" users, and more closely to the concept of wizard we're talking about.

Some ability ideas:

1. Changing things into actual other things - not as an illusion, but permanently. This could start small and simple (a stick into water, for example) and become greater slowly through the levels (a lump of crystal into a beating heart? Or perhaps the future necro would have to "animate" it?).

2. Font of Knowledge - Able to enter a "purer" meditation than other classes, regening mana a little more quickly and enabling other classes near the meditating wiz to regen mana a little more quickly, too.

3. I really like the idea of "splitting an atom" to cause a huge explosion - this would have to be a higher level technique, though.

4. Causing molecules to vibrate more quickly, burning an enemy. Also more slowly, leading them to be "chilled" or go into total stasis. There, nice fire and ice =)

5. The ability to push enemies back fair distances.

6. The ability to "catch" magic and turn it into a form useful or beneficial to the wizard.

7. Invis, teleport, levitate/short flight - given.

Thanks for opening up a discussion of wizards like this, Syntro!

This post was edited by Alexander at September 29, 2016 12:44 AM PDT
    • 374 posts
    September 29, 2016 3:09 PM PDT

I love these Ideas.

What if a Wizard could, through Knowledge and Arcane skill take advantage of Einstein's "Spooky Action at a Distance" , two entangled particles can be moved any distance apart ( 20 miles or 20 million miles) and by changing one particle the other particle will be instantly changed also. Basically, the nonlocal interaction of two objects that are seperated in space.

So a Wizard could, using special knowledge and great energies, entangle two atoms. Then attach one atom to the next arrow of a ranger, the wizard would split the atom that remains with him/her when the arrow hits the ranger's target; effectively the wizard and ranger created a nuclear Arrow when the other atom also splits due to Quantum Entanglement.

The Ranger Bow Shot has the longest attack range in the game. A nuke arrow would be a very strong attack.

How would the ranger and wizard survive the atom that was split by the wizard to affect the second "entangled" atom ?

Sorry you got me excited with some of this stuff :) 

This post was edited by Skycaster at September 29, 2016 5:06 PM PDT
    • 63 posts
    October 1, 2016 7:16 AM PDT

I love these ideas and I agree with you with a slight departure from the basic elements to more foundational energies. I know in EQ1 the lightning based spells were pretty cool and had knockbacks. (There was a lvl 12 or 16?) lightning strike spell that did a knockback which had a chance to interupt others' spell casting that I used very often, into my 50s for PVP. Also the spells like gravity flux were quite fun to use. I love the idea of "charging" a Ranger's projectile as Skycaster stated above. These are fantastic spins on a traditional wizard concept.

• 252 posts
    October 1, 2016 8:44 AM PDT

Alexander said:

Thanks for opening up a discussion of wizards like this, Syntro!

Very cool ideas Alexander and you're welcome! I have ALWAYS wanted to play a wizard, but I just can't get over the *elemental damage flavored ones. I think its a bit clunky and needs more attention.

Skycaster said:
    What if a Wizard could, through Knowledge and Arcane skill take advantage of Einstein's "Spooky Action at a Distance" , two entangled particles can be moved any distance apart ( 20 miles or 20 million miles) and by changing one particle the other particle will be instantly changed also. Basically, the nonlocal interaction of two objects that are seperated in space.

Ah yeah, neat - I like this. Quantum entaglement here we come! Prior to a battle the wizard could entagle a location and draw the coupled particles away from that location in his hand. Once a mob is pulled to the entangled location he could observe his entangled particles by injecting massive amounts of energy into them and the location would mimic the energy flux causing damage. Love it! :D

jaymills85 said:
    I love these ideas and I agree with you with a slight departure from the basic elements to more foundational energies. 

Yeah, this is the core feeling of this post. I'm glad it's resonating with people!

• 73 posts
    February 4, 2017 12:45 PM PST

I like the direction you're going with your wizard skills.

Most of your skills should be highest level spells, with balancing to be made for sure. If you really want a nuclear explosion, that feels like a nuclear explosion, that's fine by me. But then at least it should use friendly fire, a big cooldown (not just 2 minutes, rather 30 minutes cooldown or something important)

Most of your spells are inspiring, but they are all very big spells. Think about the warrior who's only got his sword to swing, may he make a tornado he'll still be way behind this.

Conservation of mass and conservation of energy ? haha that's fun. Someone must have studied some physics out here. At least you did not say relativity theory. I like it !

Considering we're talking nuclear explosions here, i would personnally add one of my favorite wizard spells from some other RPGs (among my favorite ones too) :

time stop

stops time in a wide aoe around the wizard, except for him, for 10 seconds (number not set in stone). All actions in the aoe stop, projectiles are stopped mid-air etc. When spell ends, all actions being made by the wizard take effect : spells being cast, attacks, wizard new position, and all actions that were in place before the spell began now resume.

That's a more ballsy version of your time warp, which has a very nice gameplay.

• 374 posts
    February 7, 2017 2:57 PM PST

I really like some of these Ideas. Time Stop would be so awesome Gideon.

Okay, really going out there now; What if you took Syntro's proposed Spell Thermal Radiation and some how gave it two sliders in the spell book. You could change the frequency of the Radiation to have a different effect, maybe on the penetration of the spell or the effect on different types of armour. The second slider would add power and Mana Cost or decrease power and Mana Cost.

• 22 posts
    February 11, 2017 8:50 PM PST

I definitely like the ideas here.   

How about another spell:

Zeus' Will - The wizard controls the air around the enemy mob and with a massive coming together of air molecules, all impacting on the enemy mob at one time causing the mob to be stunned for a short duration of time and/or causing confusion to the enemy mob (IE a hate reducer effect).  Secondary effect could be a random effect based on a specific skill and its level that the wizard curently has it at.

This post was edited by Jonstorm at February 13, 2017 10:52 AM PST
    • 65 posts
    February 12, 2017 11:03 PM PST
    I love these ideas! I've never played a wizzy as a main, but I'd strongly consider one built the way this thread is going!
    • 14 posts
    February 14, 2017 3:18 PM PST

Loving the ideas in this thread. The 'elemental' magic system has it's place, but building the Wiz with concepts like gravity, the singularity, anti-matter, black holes, and in general 'raw universal power' in the literal sense pulls on my heartstrings.

Because it just wouldnt feel right if I didnt contribute....

Gravity Imbalance --Shifts the gravitational proportion of . Target veers in one direction.

• 65 posts
    February 14, 2017 5:22 PM PST

Prostadamus said: 

Gravity Imbalance --Shifts the gravitational proportion of . Target veers in one direction.

Single target and area knockbacks perhaps?

• 374 posts
    February 14, 2017 6:06 PM PST

Prostadamus, I like the Gravity Imbalance Idea. So maybe instead of controlling a MoB with Root , it could never reach you because gravity would keep pulling it away from your location.

The Wizard Scientist style is just too cool. Using some things that have been learned about quantum physics would be awesome.

Maybe the Wizard Familiar could now be a Cat in a box that is Dead and Alive at the same time. :)

• 14 posts
    February 15, 2017 3:41 AM PST
    I was thinking more along the lines of a crappy (in wiz fashion) kiting tool. The mobest would still be mostly full speed, but is easier to kite. You could possibly stack another one of the CC ideas -- one of the time ones for example, for more effectiveness.

Obviously as a wiz, I don't expect 'good' cc, but certainly maybe something that helps or simply allows for solo play.
    • 374 posts
    February 15, 2017 5:03 PM PST

Prostadamus said: I was thinking more along the lines of a crappy (in wiz fashion) kiting tool. The mobest would still be mostly full speed, but is easier to kite. You could possibly stack another one of the CC ideas -- one of the time ones for example, for more effectiveness. Obviously as a wiz, I don't expect 'good' cc, but certainly maybe something that helps or simply allows for solo play.

Oh okay I see , yes that would be a nice spell to have and it allows you a different way of controlling something. It probably could be used in certain group situations too. And good emergent gameplay spell that could be very valuable at the right time.