Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Rock, Paper, Scissors?

• 116 posts
    September 19, 2016 10:10 AM PDT

How will VR address the different Race and Class balance? Will there be  Rock, Paper, Scissors (RPS) mechanics to address how each class stacks up against another?  I am really looking forward to seeing more info on the skills and attributes for each class and race before I make a decision on what to play. Cheers

• 1778 posts
    September 19, 2016 10:41 AM PDT
    Good question. I assume you mean like why a Crudader over a Warrior and the reverse? My current worry is too many rock, paper, and scissors combined. Instead of only Rock or only Paper.
    • 613 posts
    September 19, 2016 11:17 AM PDT

Not much information on that yet. Tons of speculation though. My assumption is the will have some balance but to what extent we have to wait for that.   As for the rock, paper, scissors I prefer a battle axe.   It usually ends the discussion…

Ox

• 763 posts
    September 19, 2016 11:33 AM PDT

I *assume* you are referring to the game of:

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock ?

My guess would be yes. This is the model they use to 'balance' the various classes. The 'flavours' of rock etc will only be subjective ones. In other words they perform the same function, just that they do this in a variety of ways.

Eg (made up stuff) : Cleric (direct heals), Shaman (Heal over short time), Druid (patch heal + Regen)

PS: for the purposes of PvP I hope the PvE versions are *not* balanced!

• 999 posts
    September 19, 2016 11:46 AM PDT

Pantheon has said it will have a quaternity and will balance the classes around that - Tank/Healer/DPS/CC. 

The following is pulled from the FAQ:

Q: Will Pantheon's classes have clear-cut roles such as the holy trinity (tank, healer, dps) or will they be much more flexible/customizable?

A: Pantheon does indeed use a class based system, and those classes do fulfill roles, especially in group and raid contexts. There will also be opportunities to focus each class on more specific and specialized roles, especially at higher levels. That said, because we feel it’s important that classes fulfill distinct roles, creating interdependence is vital to a fulfilling social and cooperative experience. If everyone is the same, this simply cannot be achieved. Likewise, if every class is absolutely unique, grouping can become overly complicated and, in some cases, certain classes could be less desirable to have in a group than others. To avoid this, Pantheon will use a ‘quaternity’ system consisting of tank, healer, DPS, and crowd-control.

But, based on the numerous developer discussions on situational gear, I'd bet in additional to the traditional roles there will be more Fire Emblemesque or even FFesque where you will have weapon triangles (or Squares?) and elemental weaknesses to take into account as well.

This post was edited by Raidan at September 19, 2016 11:47 AM PDT
    • 86 posts
    September 19, 2016 12:45 PM PDT

I'm very interested to see the benefits of certain race/class/deity combinations.  I played an agnostic barbarian warrior in early EQ, later I played an RZ ogre warrior, there were many differences, the largest of which for me was the frontal stun immunity that ogres had.  Those advantages and disadvantages need to exist for immersion imo, smaller races logically should have less hitpoints than larger races. 

I also liked the idea brought up in another thread about having racial/deity bonuses for casters.  Based on the lore I would have zero problems with a Dark Myr caster having a small bonus of some sort on their enduring breath spell.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:53 PM PDT

Evoras said:

My guess would be yes. This is the model they use to 'balance' the various classes. The 'flavours' of rock etc will only be subjective ones. In other words they perform the same function, just that they do this in a variety of ways.

Eg (made up stuff) : Cleric (direct heals), Shaman (Heal over short time), Druid (patch heal + Regen)

The whole rock, paper, scissors is actually a fundamental part of game theory.  The goal, of course, is to have enough variety that things are not simplistic and easily broken down and obvious.  

• 2138 posts
    September 19, 2016 6:52 PM PDT

(would someone explain "rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock to me? I think I get it intuitively but I would like a nerdy explanation. Yes I am familair with the lizard star- trek episode where kirk makes a rudimentary lathe  gun if that has anything to do with it?)

• 116 posts
    September 19, 2016 7:42 PM PDT

Evoras said:

+1 to reference to Big Bang Theory. Good point about the PvE/PvP balance, it's pretty difficult to keep both camps happy.

• 116 posts
    September 19, 2016 7:45 PM PDT

Manouk said:

(would someone explain "rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock to me? I think I get it intuitively but I would like a nerdy explanation. Yes I am familair with the lizard star- trek episode where kirk makes a rudimentary lathe  gun if that has anything to do with it?)

That is from an episode of Big Bang Theory where Sheldon proposes a new version of the old classic, iirc.

• 763 posts
    September 19, 2016 10:45 PM PDT

If I recall correctly....

Scissors cuts Paper

Paper covers Rock

Rock crushes Lizard

Lizard poisons Spock

Spock smashes Scissors

Scissors decapitates Lizard

Lizard eats Paper

Paper disproves Spock

Spock vaporizes Rock

Rock crushes Scissors

It gives you a better ideea of how Game Theory meets modern class roles than the 'classic' when applied to MMO/RPG's in my view. They are more complex and inherently harder to balance well.

-Evoras, still cannot do a Vulcan death grip

This post was edited by Evoras at September 19, 2016 10:49 PM PDT
    • 116 posts
    September 20, 2016 5:26 AM PDT

Oxillion said:

Not much information on that yet. Tons of speculation though. My assumption is the will have some balance but to what extent we have to wait for that.   As for the rock, paper, scissors I prefer a battle axe.   It usually ends the discussion…

Ox

Yeah, I had kind of hoped that a VR rep would chime in and throw out a teaser, but I have been around MMO's long enough to not get my hopes up.

• 610 posts
    September 21, 2016 7:36 AM PDT

Oldtimer said:

Oxillion said:

Ox

Yeah, I had kind of hoped that a VR rep would chime in and throw out a teaser, but I have been around MMO's long enough to not get my hopes up.

You do know Aradune is Brad Mcquaid right? THE guy behind Pantheon? He posted a few post above yours, thought now that I look his name is Blue and not Offcial Green lol

• 1468 posts
    September 21, 2016 8:19 AM PDT

Oldtimer said:

Oxillion said:

Ox

They did.

• 116 posts
    September 21, 2016 8:51 AM PDT

Sevens said:

Oldtimer said:

Oxillion said:

Ox

You do know Aradune is Brad Mcquaid right? THE guy behind Pantheon? He posted a few post above yours, thought now that I look his name is Blue and not Offcial Green lol

No, I was not aware of that fact. Thanks for the heads up.

• 610 posts
    September 21, 2016 10:02 AM PDT

Oldtimer said:

Sevens said:

Oldtimer said:

Oxillion said:

Ox

No, I was not aware of that fact. Thanks for the heads up.

Now you know, and knowledge is half the battle!

• 6 posts
    September 21, 2016 3:33 PM PDT

I'm hoping that they don't care about class balance in terms of pvp.  I want a game with content and have the classes be balanced for that content.  Most games that are pve focused and also have pvp tacked on tend to have not very good pvp.  Then that game tries to balance pvp and ruins the pve aspect of that class.  The same goes for pvp games with pve tacked on.

This post was edited by akahdrin at September 21, 2016 3:38 PM PDT
    • 205 posts
    September 21, 2016 5:27 PM PDT
    ^PLEASE do not ruin my pvE to balance for pvP!
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    September 21, 2016 11:53 PM PDT

Bringerz said: ^PLEASE do not ruin my pvE to balance for pvP!

Formulas will be kept seperate, allowing us to tweak one without changing the other and vice versa.

• 17 posts
    September 22, 2016 6:30 AM PDT

Aradune said:

Formulas will be kept seperate, allowing us to tweak one without changing the other and vice versa.

I'm wondering if you can expand on this.  I (wrongly) assumed that this being a primarily PVE game that the PVP would be based around factions and something encountered in the world while questing.  Is this correct or is there a larger plan for PVP?  Like BGs or PVP lakes zones for people to fight in?  Also what type of formula adjustments would be factored in?  Is this like mez durations, spike damage caps from crits, etc?  Or are we talking about completely different ability versions for PVP players?

This post was edited by quietus at September 22, 2016 6:30 AM PDT
    • 610 posts
    September 22, 2016 8:35 AM PDT

quietus said:

Aradune said:

I'm wondering if you can expand on this.  I (wrongly) assumed that this being a primarily PVE game that the PVP would be based around factions and something encountered in the world while questing.  Is this correct or is there a larger plan for PVP?  Like BGs or PVP lakes zones for people to fight in?  Also what type of formula adjustments would be factored in?  Is this like mez durations, spike damage caps from crits, etc?  Or are we talking about completely different ability versions for PVP players?

As stated many times over, this is a group centric PVE game, the only plans I have ever heard talk of is to have a dedicated PVP server (or servers if needed). So if they must make changes to PVP they can do it on that server(s) only and not affect PVE

• 409 posts
    September 27, 2016 12:59 PM PDT

This, this and more of this.

I already saw Brad's answer, but I want this to be shouted from every rooftop, hillside and sang as the Terminus global anthem. Every class based MMO that tries to "balance" PVP with PVE ends up wrecking both. Pick one or the other, or make them totally separate things. And by totally separate, I mean give armor and weapons stats for PVP that literally have no bearing on PVE mobs and vice versa. 

If PVP becomes any sort of focus for P:RotF, I know I won't care to play it even a little.

• 15 posts
    September 27, 2016 8:27 PM PDT

Since the "Quaternity" of Tank/Healer/DPS/CC is confirmed, one could hasard that within a same "role", there are additionnal functions added to each class that gives its differenciation and appeal. For example (I'm making this up) :

Cleric : Healing + Defensive signets and pillars

Shaman : Healing + Enhancing stats and enfeebling curses

Druid : Healing + CC with wildlife and terrain control

So if you want to support a group, you have a nice choice of which healer you want with each one feeling pretty unique. I'm really looking forward the unveiling of additionnal classes. ^^

This post was edited by piellar at September 27, 2016 8:29 PM PDT