Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Banks should be banks.

• 6 posts
    September 16, 2016 5:46 PM PDT

I shouldn't be able to walk up to someone standing under a tent and access all my bank stuf.  Saw in one of the gameplay videos a banker standing at a stall with no guards or anything.  Kinda ruins immersion. 

• 187 posts
    September 16, 2016 6:14 PM PDT

Hey accivatti! Welcome to the community. Try and keep in mind that the game is in pre-pre-alpha! What we saw could have very well been just a banker placed for dev convenience. The dev team is taking the "bottom-up" approach to design meaning they focusing on the core gameplay mechanics first and then embellishing with character models, animations, NPC placement, and city layout and design, etc. at the end. Try and remember this when watching those twitch stream videos. :)

This post was edited by Syntro at September 16, 2016 6:15 PM PDT
    • 8 posts
    September 16, 2016 6:22 PM PDT

I hope they do incorporate guards and a fixed structure for the bank.  Similar to what was done in EQ.

• 1434 posts
    September 16, 2016 7:51 PM PDT

I want to see vaults and walls of lockboxes and the such. I want to believe that hundreds of people could actually store their stuff in this place.

• 8 posts
    September 16, 2016 8:19 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

I want to see vaults and walls of lockboxes and the such. I want to believe that hundreds of people could actually store their stuff in this place.

if you shove hard enough you can make it work

• 500 posts
    September 17, 2016 4:48 AM PDT

I like the idea of a bank being an edifice that suggests a sense of power and security.  A place that you can feel confident in knowing your valuables are well protected.

• 173 posts
    September 17, 2016 5:33 AM PDT

I could perhaps go along with a banker in a tent, as long as he at leat had some guards to protect him and all OUR stuff, but a fixed building would be the best IMHO.  It adds to immersion to me.

• 23 posts
    September 17, 2016 8:46 AM PDT

What about banks that only hold what you store at that bank? I think Black Desert Online is like that. So if you go to city A and store 50 plat and some gear and go to city B, the banker at city B doesn't have access to the items at city A.

I like the idea of it because it seems more realistic... but it does get frustrating when you have visited multiple cities and now have to figure out where you left what. I didn't stick with BDO but I think I'd find it rather tedious if I had kept playing.

Is everyone content with MMO banks functioning the way they do in games like EQ / EQ2 / WoW / most other MMOs? Are we only concerned that a bank looks like a MMO bank?

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about an in game bank's main purpose. I.e. holding your money, giving out loans, renting out smaller storage boxes, and being more buisnessy.

It seems like MMOs have a different idea of a bank than what a is and we don't bother questioning that. Is that because it's always been that way? How upset would you be to find out that an MMOs version of a bank was primarily for holding your money? How does the MMO bank make it's money and keep paying the guy to hold my stuff and the guards to guard the guy that holds my stuff? Are they all secretly using my stuff and drinking my ale?

• 1778 posts
    September 17, 2016 9:49 AM PDT

Arkoll said:

Are they all secretly using my stuff and drinking my ale?

Oh crap he found out!!! Run!!!

On a more serious and party pooper note: Careful with this line of thinking. There is immersion and then there is chasing away potential customers. VR cant go overboard with this stuff. Though having a bank look like a bank as Dullahan described would be cool.

Playing devils advocate here. Why cant I store something in one bank and store as much of it (for the right price) as I want? Becasue correct me If I am wrong, this is a fantasy magic world. Vaults of magical endless holdng, and magic cumminication and transference between bank branches, etc etc. Also pack animals. If Banking is too inconvenient, what is to stop me from just having multiple pack mules and summoning them to me with my gear and items?

Now I could be a bit more understanding of goods, gear, items (Maybe its too costly to teleport to another Branch). But If I have an account at the Bank of Terminus in Elf City, why couldnt I make a withdrawal from the Bank of Terminus in Dwarf City.

• 187 posts
    September 17, 2016 12:35 PM PDT

This has taken a really interesting direction, especially Arkoll's comments about what we've come to know MMO banks as vs. what they could potentially be. I could imagine an MMO bank which stored physical items and money, stationed with guards, equipped with loan capabilities, and be able to be robbed. All of this is very possible to incorporate, but we have to ask ourselves the golden question that developers probably ask themselves in the mirror each day - is it worth development resources to implement it? Would incorporating these more realistic banking properties enhance each players enjoyment of the game to a level in which justifies the development cost (not just monetary, time, memory, etc.)? 

Maybe this is one of those development rabbit holes that MMOs can avoid by simplifying banks to just glorified storage chests as we've come to know them as. On the other hand, perhaps there are some tweaks we can implement that are definitely worth developing. Either way, I wholeheartedly agree with Arkoll in that we should definitely be questioning if the classic MMO banking system.

I would love to have an the Thronefast bank send out an NPC repossession man hunting me down because I've defaulted on a loan that I used to buy a sword. That would be really fun, but I don't know if I could justify its incorporation in the game. The notion of debt is already an exceedingly complex monster in our world. I haven't convinced myself that it would be worthwhile to include it in Pantheon.

It would also be fun to allow characters to be bandits and allow for bank raids. This would add a fun context for faction wars. A group from one faction could raid a city of an opposing faction where the sweet loot earned after a successful raid would be pillaging a nice and juicy bank. But this begs the question, how can the bank protect its clients from these sort of things without player intervention? We as players would have to act as bank guards, intelligence collectors (find out when other players were going to raid), etc. and I'm not sure that it would be as fun defending as it would be to attack. 

I absolutely love this healthy discussion. Let's deconstruct what it means to have banks in MMOs and look at which feasible directions we could take them in Pantheon.

This post was edited by Syntro at September 17, 2016 12:41 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    September 17, 2016 12:44 PM PDT

How about: Make begging a skill- and make begging in certain towns punishable- ofr if seen by certain guards.

Dragons help the newbie practicing to beg from the wrong guard! and likewise, dragone bless the NPC that rewards the newbie beggar- handsomely ( RNG?- quest lead checkpoint? Beging skill at X then begets response A)

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    September 17, 2016 2:33 PM PDT

Yes, in the future a banker would reside in a bank with guards, etc.  

Yes, the intent is that banks are local, so no putting your item in bank A, crossing the ocean, going to bank B and zippy wippy your item is somehow there... doing that I think would interfere with the regional player driven economy we're intent on getting to work.

• 201 posts
    September 17, 2016 3:25 PM PDT

I don't think that in a world with magic and mystical beings, etc, the idea that your bag of crap could be transported to another secure location at a whim is that insane.

• 264 posts
    September 17, 2016 3:26 PM PDT

Aradune said:

Yes, the intent is that banks are local, so no putting your item in bank A, crossing the ocean, going to bank B and zippy wippy your item is somehow there... doing that I think would interfere with the regional player driven economy we're intent on getting to work.

Ok now I understand how things will be more local with some search functions and some fast travel. It is all becoming clear to me now. Hurray ! 

• 112 posts
    September 17, 2016 5:48 PM PDT

Aradune said:

are you considering some method for tranporting large amounts of goods? as in, a player can buy an ox and/or wagon 'mount' that has a far higher encumberance rating?  seems like a kind of a neccesity if we ever choose to move mor ethan a handful of goods to a better market - and could make things quite interesting if full loot is a thing on pvp servers.

• 393 posts
    September 17, 2016 5:56 PM PDT

Aradune said:

If only EVE would adopt this idea. >.>

Honestly though, locality really makes the best sense.

• 187 posts
    September 17, 2016 6:13 PM PDT

Aradune said:

I'm thrilled this is the initial intent. I find a world full of regional economies facinating. I had an idea I posted in a similar thread that I'd like to share here seeing as how this one is getting a bit more:

What if summoners could have the ability to establish portal networks for items on Terminus, e.g. there are two "bind" spots for this system, point A and B. Point A could be in a banking location in city A and B in some distant city B. For a traveler wanting to go from A->B, he could have the option to look for a summoner which could port his bank items for him. We would limit only 1 link per summoner. 
    "/ooc Porting items from Thronefast to Valey of the Watchmen. 1p per item!"

I think that would be an awesome way to include a socially derived way to globally access your items with the added penalty of dishing out some platinum to a summoner and whatever intrinsic limitations exist for the spell.

This post was edited by Syntro at September 17, 2016 6:15 PM PDT
    • 187 posts
    September 17, 2016 6:13 PM PDT

(Edit: I accidently double posted again and I can't delete it. :/)

This post was edited by Syntro at September 17, 2016 6:14 PM PDT
    • 500 posts
    September 17, 2016 6:48 PM PDT

BDO has regional banking, and it works fine.  I can always see what I have in a specific bank by clicking on the location on the world map.  If I need something moved from one bank to another, I just pay a small fee and the items are shipped for me.  The transfers aren't instant, and the delivery time and cost depends on the type of transport you choose, either by wagon or ship.  Also, both transport options arent always available at every bank.  If there isn't a port, then you are stuck using wagons.  It takes a bit longer, but costs less.

This post was edited by Grymmlocke at September 17, 2016 6:49 PM PDT