Forums » Crafting

Good Luck With Crafting?

    • 315 posts
    September 4, 2016 1:50 PM PDT

    I love crafting. It is the solo game that I can perfect while I am waiting for my friends to get together so we can go adventuring.

    That said, I hate spending long, hard, hours at a crafting table only to watch my project end it utter failure. No, I do not want a mamby-pamby crafting system that hands over every recipe with a smile, and on a silver platter, but total disaster at the end of an expensive project isn't fun either.

    We play to have fun.

    My answer: Add a little good luck into the formula. Luck that perhaps is random...okay, but what if I can store up some extra luck for that special project to spend on that rainy day.

    ...and what if I knew that my strategy to spend my stored luck saved my project from total failure at just the right moment. Now that sounds fun to me.

    What do you think? Good luck with crafting?


    This post was edited by Klumpedge at September 6, 2016 4:48 PM PDT
    • 1 posts
    September 5, 2016 12:19 AM PDT

    I really liked the crafting system in Vanguard and the idea behind it

     

    • 90 posts
    September 5, 2016 6:33 AM PDT

    Tarigin said:

    I really liked the crafting system in Vanguard and the idea behind it

     

    I didnt craft much in vanguard. I also didnt even play it very long. However, I loved the crafting system in EQ2 at the very beginning. Not what it is now, but when it was launched. The class interdependency Pantheon is striving for was in the crafting system of EQ2 back then. Every class made some type of finished goods. But they also made parts that were needed by other crafting classes. Metalworkers made buckles that leatherworkers needed to make belts. There was also a failable minigame you played to actually craft. The minigame if succeeded perfectly, gave you an upgraded varient of the item.


    This post was edited by Koreno at September 5, 2016 6:34 AM PDT
    • 12 posts
    September 5, 2016 7:57 AM PDT

    Koreno said:

    Tarigin said:

    I really liked the crafting system in Vanguard and the idea behind it

     

    I didnt craft much in vanguard. I also didnt even play it very long. However, I loved the crafting system in EQ2 at the very beginning. Not what it is now, but when it was launched. The class interdependency Pantheon is striving for was in the crafting system of EQ2 back then. Every class made some type of finished goods. But they also made parts that were needed by other crafting classes. Metalworkers made buckles that leatherworkers needed to make belts. There was also a failable minigame you played to actually craft. The minigame if succeeded perfectly, gave you an upgraded varient of the item.

     

    If you liked EQ2, Vanguard took that crafting a whole step further.  It was amazing.  

    • 310 posts
    September 11, 2016 5:41 AM PDT

    I think to an extent luck has been in the 2 games I c rafted in the most: EQ2 and VG.

    In EQ2 (and i'm talking about way back in the day before you simply mashed the progess buttons till you were done) the luck was not getting a ton of complications.

    In VG, the luck was not only not getting complications, but in the event you didn't put water on the table having the complication that required water to clear (sorry, i think it was cramps but can't remember).

     

    Beyond that, I prefer to keep RNG out of crafting.

    Example: in FFXIV getting 99% chance to HQ and not getting it, or 1% and actually getting it.  To me, niether one makes it fun for me.


    This post was edited by Aarpoch at September 11, 2016 5:45 AM PDT
    • 188 posts
    September 11, 2016 9:56 AM PDT

    It has appeared universal that almost everyone wants a copy of Vanguard's crafting/economy with a combination of EQ2 at release.  I know that is basically paradise for me...a system with individual stats and skills for crafting, a full suit of crafting gear slots, crafting gear of varying qualities, faction based quests and recipes, valuable and sellable gear through all levels and even for yellow, blue, orange, type gear, rare and ultra rare recipes found through quests and grinding, interactive crafting with abilities and complications, etc etc etc.